Friday, January 1, 2010

Update

Sorry this has taken so long! For a while today there was no news, then there was, and then I was on the phone with several people sharing that news, and now I'm here.

So... I left a message this morning with the woman who works with the attorney (I'm assuming she's his secretary or assistant or whatever). She didn't call me back for several hours. Finally around 5 p.m., she called back. I told her we had come up with $20,000 and asked if they would accept that. She said she knew the attorney wouldn't be able to just cut the price by $5,000, but she would ask him if we could pay $20,000 when we get the baby and $5,000 over time. She then asked if he goes for that, are we saying we are committing to the baby. As odd as it sounds, I was so hesitant! I think because it's such a huge life-changing event. I knew I had to say yes, and did.

She said she'd try to contact the attorney at home over the weekend, but if she can't, she'd let me know Monday morning.

And just so you know (and let's hope no one on their end sees this) we'll be able to get the remainder if need be. Just didn't want you to worry. You may wonder if there's a chance they could give the baby to another couple in the meantime, and while there's always a chance I suppose, I do feel like the woman will contact us if someone else says they have the money right now. I can't imagine it'd come down to couples in different parts of the country racing to this lawyer's office to see who could drop off the money first. But, at the same time, if something bizarre happened and this isn't meant to be our baby, I think I'll be fine.

So that's where we stand. I really feel like this is just a technicality and the baby is ours if we so choose. Maybe that is naive, but like I said, I'm totally trusting God on this one and only want His will to be done.

As for when we'll head down there (I won't say where yet just in case, but I did give you a clue with "down"), I'm not sure. The woman was already talking specifics with us about coming as soon as possible and that most likely the attorney would let us take the baby home before getting cleared through the ICPC. I wasn't sure how that worked, and assured her we didn't want to do anything that wasn't on the up-and-up, even if it meant waiting longer. She told me they wouldn't either, and since then a couple people have told me that it's not a big deal. If anyone knows anything about that, please let me know.

I guess my fear would be, what if we paid the money, took the baby home and then this ICPC thing said we weren't cleared for the baby (apparently that would be highly unlikely, since our home study was conducted by an accredited agency). Or what if the ICPC decided that this lawyer wasn't legit and was selling the baby on the black market (which is what it's trying to avoid apparently). I know that sounds far-fetched, but we don't know this attorney and we just want to go in with our eyes open.

Another question we have is is there any kind of temporary guardianship when you take a baby? Are you named foster parents until it's finalized or anything like that? The woman told me there isn't anything like that until it's finalized, and that she knows that sounds odd, but that's how it's done in that state (if anyone knows about this stuff and wants the states name, just email me). I still think that seems odd. What if we take the baby to the doctor? How will we prove we haven't kidnapped her? Oh, and the mother has already surrendered her rights and they are currently going through the court to do something about two possible fathers (I don't believe they have names even). Don't know much more about that, other than it involves some letters or something, and one is back and they're still waiting on the second.

I was very nervous last night (going through a range of emotions, which is to be expected I guess) that it might be a scam. I have googled the heck out of them today and while there isn't a ton of stuff out there, the woman was very forthcoming when I asked her today if she could tell me about them just so I would feel more comfortable (apparently a red flag is if they are offended by that question). She did confirm some of the things I saw online.

The main thing is that we won't pay a cent until the baby is in our arms. They can't scam us if we don't do that. And I'm not saying I truly think they are shady, but you just have to think everything through.

So I'm feeling weird tonight. Definitely feel like I am having an out-of-body experience. It has all happened so darn fast and is beyond surreal. And it's not final yet, which is probably making me feel a little bit in limbo. Every time I get a little excited I tell myself it might not happen. I'm remaining oddly cool.

Okay, so I've written all about the details because I know many of you were waiting for them, but what I really want to convey to all of you is my gratitude. I'm just going to say that words cannot describe the way I feel right now about your generosity. I wanted to post something about it earlier today but I struggled with it because I knew whatever I wrote wouldn't come close to how I feel. You guys amaze me. Beyond amaze. I don't want to say how much money has been raised so far because I'm not sure if it would be tacky to say, but let's just say that it's more than you're guessing right now. Way more. I'm humbled. I'm blessed beyond words. I will reach out to each of you individually in the coming days, but just know that you are all in my prayers and in my heart.

35 comments:

  1. Been waiting for this update ALL DARN DAY, GIRL!!!

    Wow. I just don't even know what or how to feel right now, somebody pinch me!!

    I can't even fathom how cool and collected you are staying... only through the peace of Christ!!
    OMGosh, to think, you may very well already be a mommy!!! I wonder what the exact date this girl was born was, do you know? I'm all about God-incidences, and I am dying to see what your blog post was about on the day she was born (maybe it was the message from Eucharistic Adoration day, wouldn't that be wild????!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'm so happy for you that this situation might work out. It's amazing how peace-filled you are. I'll be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been checking your blog compulsively all day!

    I'm shaking in excitement for you K!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're forgetting 1 crucial element to these updates... how is R doing??? Is he as calm as you? What was his reaction to the news when he first heard?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's ridiculous how often I've been checking your blog for this news!

    What if TCIE is right? What if she was born on the day of your message? I will freak out.

    I'm so excited for you guys! And how is R doing? This is such a whirlwind-we'll keep praying! This could be it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that's a lot of info. Well, first you can take the baby without the ICPC being done. As long as the baby is not a dependant of the state where she was born. I am hoping the mother and father both signed surrenders for the child. Here in Florida as long as you have an approved homestudy,and the baby is medically released then you can take her. We adopted in Florida and our baby was born mid May. We got a guardianship order within a week, the mother's right's were terminated within 6 weeks and we finalized our adoption mid September. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh My Gosh! I am so excited for you still :) I just can't believe how everything is seeming to come together- I hope and pray that this is God's huge big put-a-smile-on-your-face way to expand your family! I am beaming at the idea that this is how God might bless you with motherhood. After all of your journey, I am not surprised He'd blow your socks off!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone!

    Praying - Thanks for that info.. it really helps!

    TCIE - Unfortunately, I didn't post on that day! Can you believe that? Although the next day was the post about how the woman drawing my blood told me I would have a baby in my arms in 2010. Weird!

    As for the birthday, she was born on a holy day! Dec. 1.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our two adopted ones are from FL. Our agency required us to stay in state until paperwork cleared ICPC but that could also be related to our home state rules, I'm not sure. With both we had placement paperwork at the time of taking custody and had no problems with routine doc visits and immunizations. We did have an issue with our son needing surgery, non-emergency, because the agency had legal custody while we had physical custody. They had to sign the consent and fax it to the hospital but didn't need to be there physically. I wish we could help with the $$ but maxed out the HELC bringing our youngest home in Nov. You have our prayers for good things in the next few days.

    ReplyDelete
  10. O.M.G. I am SO excited for you!!!! I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so incredible!!!! I'm so excited for you.
    Am I getting a little ahead of myself if I've already been hoping that your potential little girl with grow up to marry GIMH's Ethan? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My head is spinning! I have been compulsively checking this blog all day! I'm so excited I could throw up! :) I kid you not! I've called my closes friends IRL and told them the story! I just want to shout on the roof tops!

    But i'm humbled in my heart. So humbled by the guiding hand of a loving father. Just so incredible, I can't even shake the blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. FREAKINGOUTFREAKINGOUTFREAKINGOUT!!!

    Oh THANK GOD!!!!

    YES, you certainly CAN take temporary custody of the child. It's called something, I can't remember what - we did it with our daughter.

    I am CERTAIN you will do it, too.
    If not, who would be the child's legal guardian???!!!!

    Ohmygosh I'm just amazed, astounded.
    What more can I say???

    Except that I *totally* understand the hesitation!!!
    We went through the same thing - hesitation's not a good word, I don't know what is, but yeah, it's like when your boyfriend, the one you love, adore, can't wait to marry, etc., pulls a ring from his pocket - it's earth shattering and your mind is not operating normally.

    Just try to breathe. (Am I talking to you or me?)

    Oh, I just want to go outside and shreik!

    ReplyDelete
  14. PS I have a freaking CREDIT CARD you can put that 5 grand on if it comes down to that.

    AND YOU CAN TELL THEM THAT!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would be having a hard time with all this too! Waiting on an adoption is so hard and I can relate. Oh yes.

    I will pray that all goes well and the money situation works out like it is supposed to.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my gosh, you wrote a blog entry on Nov. 28 called "Truly Surrendering" and posted a beautiful prayer of abandonment that you had been praying daily. It was a prayer by Blessed Charles de Foucauld. Wow, if you can believe it, his feast day is December 1! It makes so much sense! That sweet little girl was born on his feast day, just days after you posted that prayer!

    I will pray hard that it might be God's will for you to come home soon with a new baby daughter in your arms!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Leila,

    WILD!

    Like the UCC's ad campaign says:

    GOD IS STILL SPEAKING.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Leila, that blows my mind!!! I just knew there would be a back story here about the day this baby was born - it HAD to be something just as amazing as how AYWH found out about her!

    I've got goosebumps!!

    And Chasing, I thought about this baby marrying Ethan, too, you're not the only one, lmbo!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. K, I'm so thrilled for you guys!!! I can't wait to hear more updates! I will keep up the prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for updating - I've been stalking your blog all evening! Hoping, hoping, that everything goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  21. A lot happens in a few days!! Just caught up and WOW!!! So amazingly wonderful. This is so incredible for you and R. I have been praying for something like this for you since I started reading your blog -- you've been like our "blog mom" and I can't wait to see pics of you and your baby!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sorry about the mix-up with the comments above! But I just wanted to say that the connection to Bl Charles is AMAZING! I will start praying to him to ask for his intercession for your adoption! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  24. We are en route to your house with a bottle of champagne in hand!! Get ready we are going to be there soon- I'm not even kidding!! So so excited for you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Praying!!!!!!!

    I am going to check back on my blog to see when it was that you were put on my heart to pray for specifically, I offered up all of my suffering that day for you! I love the way God moves!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am so freaking excited for you!!! I hope you are still going to come up here and I can meet the baby!!! I have a portocrib for the baby!!!

    I can't believe it!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh K--I am so overjoyed by this turn of events in your life! But I am not surprised...God is so good and seems to make a habit of blessing his faithful in the eleventh hour. Be assured of our prayers for you and R!

    ReplyDelete
  28. i have read so many rollercoaster adoption stories and I am so proud of the peace you have that must be straight from God. I can imagine how hard it must be to try to stay calm, I agree it all appears to be falling into place...time will tell! Prayers going out to you!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yes, Yes, YES!! This news has made my day! Keep us posted and know that we will continue to pray.

    YYYAAYYY!!!
    Ryane

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm floored that this all happened so fast. Kind of like those bands that become an "overnight success" after ten years...I guess this was how it would have to happen after all your waiting, right? (And this should be a lesson to all of us - if it takes five years, that's going to be four years and 364 days of doubting it will ever happen, and 24 hours of cardiac arrest.)

    I know very little about adoption, but if you want to know whether an attorney is on the up-and-up, go to martindale.com and look up his name and/or firm name. It will most likely be listed (that's the directory of attorneys), though there are rare people who aren't on it. The other thing to do would be to contact the state bar association for the state where he practices and ask for any public information - has there ever been a grievance against him, what was the outcome, is his license to practice law under suspension, all that stuff. The profession being what it is, there are plenty of attorneys whose integrity is imperfect who still have squeaky-clean licenses (I glare at pregnant women sometimes, and my license is impeccable), but if he had actually criminally sold children or defrauded clients, there would almost certainly be records (unless it had all happened in the last few weeks and the records had not yet appeared). The bar association would, of course, also tell you whether he is actually licensed to practice in that state. If not, he's not an attorney at all, is committing a crime by claiming to be, and you should RUN in the opposite direction.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am so happy to hear such wonderful and happy news! This is a miracle, a miracle from God!

    Oh K, I always knew you would receive your miracle! I know I never met you, but I feel like I know you from reading your blog. You are such a lovely lady and so sweet! You will be such a wonderful Mommy to this baby!

    Please know that all your friends here are rooting for you and hubby, thinking of you, and praying for you!

    I can't wait to come back here and hear more good news!! I am so excited and so happy for you!!

    Praying for a miracle for you and for us all!

    Much love and hugs to you!

    Love,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  32. P.S. I would like to find out more about how to foster - adopt and adoption. I feel that maybe God might be closing the door on hubby and me being able to conceive a child (my fertility signs seem to be dwindling even more - not ovulating anymore, no CM/fertile signs, and no period again this month.) and He might be leading us to adopt too. Foster - Adoption seems to be the best option for us right now.

    It is very difficult to try to give up my dream of carrying a baby, giving birth, ect. and I was feeling so sad and discouraged about this for a couple months. I was in tears practically every day. But K's story gives me hope that A) that Miracles happen and B) God might have a baby or child who needs a good home out there for us for each one of us who's heart aches to be a Mother and who's arms are empty right now.

    My email is: prayrosary4life@aol.com

    Thank you K, for sharing your story and giving us hope and encouragement! I will be thinking of you and praying for you!

    Much love and hugs!

    Love,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  33. Just found your blog and wanted to let you know we are praying for you guys! I hope that this New Year is bringing you everything you ever hoped for!

    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete