Friday, January 8, 2010

More pics, and Clara visits a Poor Clare

We're still on the road, but we're excited because we're now in North Carolina. Clara will get to meet her grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousin in just a couple hours!

Once I'm home and not blogging from a phone or a dying laptop with an air card (greatest invention ever, by the way), I'm going to tell the whole story of the day we picked her up, what it's like to be an instant mother, and just try to sum up what this whole experience has been like. Plus, I would be remiss if I didn't devote a great deal of time to praising God, since I sure was quick to write about my frustrations with Him the last few years!

For now, though, I thought you might like more pictures of our teeny, tiny miracle:


Minutes after we first met her




With R from Pray, Hope, Don't Worry, and LIM


R, saying goodbye to Clara


We were so excited to take Clara to her very first Mass today! We went to daily Mass this morning at the Shrine of the Blessed Sacrament in Hanceville, AL (the shrine that Mother Angelica built). And after Mass we received an incredible blessing. R's (from Pray, Hope, Don't Worry) sister-in-law, Sister Agnes, is a Poor Clare there and after R told her about us the other day, she got permission to meet us after Mass. We were thrilled beyond words, especially since Clara is named for St. Clare, and Ryan thought of the name several months ago while reading the book about Mother Angelica. Ryan was very familiar with who Sr. Agnes was after reading the book, so she was kind of like a celebrity to us!

We were taken behind locked doors to a parlor where the sisters can meet with guests, and Sr. Agnes met with us there for about 15 to 20 minutes. She was so kind, and beautiful, and she kept commenting on how tiny Clara was (it's hard not to!). Before we left, she even gave Clara an Agnes Dei medal that she said was blessed by Pope Benedict! Thanks, R, for setting up an amazing meeting that we'll tell Clara about for years to come!

Ryan and Clara, waiting for her to come in the room.


That's the side of the room that Sr. Agnes was on when she spoke with us.


Me and Clara, after our wonderful meeting with Sr. Agnes.


The hallway outside of the room where we met. I just wanted to get pictures of everything so it would be easier to tell the story later! Although I'm completely kicking myself because I chickened out and didn't ask Sr. Agnes to take a picture with us. I didn't know if it was allowed, but apparently it was! Oh well.


And now, without further ado, some bare-skinned baby shots (taken after we gave Clara a bath for the first time [not her first bath, of course, but ours!]:







39 comments:

  1. oh she is just so precious!
    how tiny is she?

    do you need a few more preemie outfits? i would love to send you a package - we didn't get to use ours!

    -r

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhhh, what a sweet little thing!!! I could just eat her up!!!

    What a wonderful meeting that sounds like, with Sr Agnes. How amazing, R is so sweet :)

    The grandparents must be giddy with excitement - can't wait for more pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is just beautiful! I am so happy for you I have tears in my eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clara is so beautiful and alert.
    Hope you and she enjoy meeting all of her relatives soon.

    Thanks for all the updates. Your story is truly inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the pictures and it's awesome that you get to have Clara meet your relatives so soon after getting her. I'm really look forward to hearing about the process. I'm super jealous that you got to meet LIM and PHDW, who I hope to meet sometime soon.

    So cool about the visit to the shrine and Sr. Agnes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is so beautiful!! I wouldn't be able to put her down...:)

    I am SO happy for you & R!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. SHE IS AMAZINGLY GORGEOUS!!!

    Ah, is there anything more precious in the universe than a tiny baby?
    (Rhetorical question.)

    I CAN'T WAIT TO READ YOUR STORY!!!

    (Refresh refresh refresh.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. PS Going to set up the DVR for the replay of the Mass! Maybe we can see her???!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those pictures are so sweet!!!!!! What a cutie patootie! And how precious is her hair! I love it :).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cathy - We were at the Mass at the Shrine in Hanceville, and if I'm not mistaken, the one on t.v. is the one at EWTN studios. Also, can I just add that I thought I was in HEAVEN listening to those nuns sing? Amazing!

    Richele - That is so sweet of you to offer! She was just under five pounds last week and is hopefully around 5 or a little more now. Do you think she'll be in preemie clothes for much longer? I don't want you to go to the trouble if she'll outgrow them soon. They fit her, except a little long in the legs. But newborn clothes are still way too big.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awh, those pics are so sweet! I just love her dark hair and those big, bright eyes!

    Have fun with the N family! :) I bet they are all just so excited! Pedal to the metal, R!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tonight it actually says "Mass from Shrine of the Blessed Sacrament", so maybe it will be that one!
    But yeah, it's probably the usual daily Mass. Drag.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i'm completely speechless. she is a beautiful, beautiful baby.
    and what a beautiful story.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I am so moved by your story- I just found it yesterday. Can't even remember how I linked to it. I'm in tears here and my son just walked in and said, "Cute baby." Couldn't have said it better myself. God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  15. She is incredible!!!! I love those little baby frog legs they all have. Oh you must just kiss her all over :). Thank for all the updates. I have been telling basically anyone who will listen your story and both me and whoever I am telling cry every time!!!! What a blessed baby that would come into this world to find the most wonderful parents who will love her more than she will ever even know...until of course she becomes a mama too. Keep the posts coming!!!
    Merry

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness, she is so sweet. Having those Poor Clares praying for her is such a gift!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So very sweet, my favorite is the last one!

    What a blessing you all received! The gift will be eternal :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great pictures K, I love the bare skinned ones! I could just eat up a naked baby! :)

    so sorry I didnt' tell you that taking pictures with Sr was allowed I feel so bad! I wish you had one!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that this is also turning into the first family vacation! :) This is definitely the way I travel with little adventurous stops along the way. Have fun celebrating with family!

    ReplyDelete
  20. K, you are spoiling us so with such sweet stories and pictures. I don't know if I'll be able to contain myself once you are all home and with better technology! Clara is just PRECIOUS and so beautiful. I just want to reach through the screen and squeeze her! Also, regarding preemie clothes, you may get a couple of good weeks out of them if Richele can get them to you soon. It may be worth it bc preemie duds are hard to find!

    ReplyDelete
  21. She really is beautiful! Did you figure out what her heritage is? I can't wait to hear the whole story. Still floored that you're now a MOM!

    ReplyDelete
  22. She is so cute! And tiny!

    I am loving following your journey and can't wait to hear the whole story.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous!! Thanks so much for sharing with us!! She is so little and so precious!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just love the photos!!! She's such a little peanut!

    Can't wait to hear how the visit with her grandparents and extended family went!

    Btw, I'm moving your blog in my blogroll. You're on the "other side" now!

    ReplyDelete
  25. So thankful that you are keeping us all posted on your trip! All of us still waiting are certainly living through you right now.

    And, you are the spitting image of one of my friends here in NC named Stacey. Every time I see your picture I think of her. It makes me feel like I already know you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. That bath might have done the trick to wake her up bc she's finally looking at us with eyes wide open! Love it!! She's so teeny tiny still. Such an angel.

    You and R are already the BEST parents!! And I CANNOT wait to see you both and little Clara in the morning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh my! She's so precious!! I'm stopping by ASAP:)

    ReplyDelete
  28. She is so adorable! I am so excited to see new pictures all the time! I just can't see enough! I am so happy for you guys. God is truely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  29. She is so adorable! I am so excited to see new pictures all the time! I just can't see enough! I am so happy for you guys. God is truely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  30. The whole story about R reading the book in adoration, then PHDW with the connection to the Poor Clares....It's all so fitting....CRAZY!

    Great Pics, She is darling!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Also, I can only imagine you giving your miracle back to God as you were in Hanceville. What a beautiful place. The nuns bring heaven to earth. That is how I think ALL masses should be. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow...does St. Clair have her fingerprints all over this, or what?! What a glorious, divine experience to have with the Poor Clares!

    Can't wait to see more pics of her with her extended family, but most especially in her own home in Richmond! :)

    Safe travels the rest of the way home!

    ReplyDelete
  33. First Mass at Huntsville and a personal meeting with Sr. Agnes!! That is kinda like Catholic rock star type stuff right there.

    So, so excited for you guys, and can't wait to watch her grow up. She is a doll. What a blessing for the world to have Clara with us!

    Can't wait for Baptism pics.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh wow, she is so beautiful! I love the after-bath shots- her eyes are to die for! Watch out, Ethan may want to have lots of play dates!! Thanks so much for posting all these photos- I'm so excited for you and to read the whole story/your reflections!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. She's so precious. It makes one what to hold her close and kiss her. I'll be you are enjoying doing lost of that!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Refresh.

    Refresh.

    Refresh.

    (Dang!)

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  37. OH...MY...GOSH. First of all, she is so beautiful.

    Second of all, I got chills when I read this post for another reason: I've fallen way behind on my blog reading because of holiday craziness, so the last post I read of yours was the one from November 19 where God sent you the message. Your line from that post has stayed in my head all these weeks:

    She said Jesus wanted her to give a message to us: That He loves us and has not abandoned us.

    So today I clicked on your site to see what was new, and I was blown away at this joyous news. Especially in light of the message you received just before it all happened, I'm wiping tears out of my eyes at God's goodness. Thank you for sharing your lives with us.

    ReplyDelete
  38. She is just beautiful. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete