Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Clara goes to the doctor

I took Clara to the pediatrician today (well, it's late.. technically it was yesterday) and she did great! She weighed 5 lb, 2 oz, which we were very happy to hear. The doctor said while she's obviously smaller than other babies her age, she is on track for being a preemie. He said she'll probably be a couple months behind until she catches up at age two (Clara at age two.. I can just picture it now!). She has her next appointment in two weeks when she'll get some shots, and in the meantime we have to get some shots ourselves.

I noticed that I might have left out some obvious details, or perhaps not everyone wants to go back and read through everything to find certain pieces of information, so I thought I'd put them all in one place. Here are Clara's stats:

* Born Dec. 1 in Loui.siana
* She weighed 3 lb, 2 oz at birth
* Was roughly two months early (birthmother had no prenatal care so they didn't know exactly how early she really was)
* Was in the hospital until Dec. 28 (she even spent her first Christmas in the hospital!)
* Her birthmother is caucasian and her birthfather was either Hispanic or African-American (we are excited to see what she ends up looking like, since her ethnicity is sort of a mystery. Most people guess that she looks more Hispanic at the moment)
* Birthmother signed a surrender last month; birthfather is unknown. The attorney is taking the necessary measures to terminate all bf rights, which should happen at four months
* The adoption won't be finalized for 14 months. I know, that is a long time. Lou.isiana takes a year to finalize, and then the actual process takes two months. VA would have been six (really eight) months, but also $4,000 extra (since we would have had to hire our own attorney). We had about an hour to make a decision last week, and we decided to just stick with LA.
* She is an absolutely amazing baby! I know I'm biased, but she really is!

I'm off to bed now. I've been making the mistake of not going to bed when she does, which I know I need to start doing. She had a great night last night. Hoping tonight goes just as well!

And, of course, some pictures before I go:

Clara and her cousin Jonathan, trying out her crib. He's only two, but looks so huge next to her!


Clara meeting some fellow preemies! These adorable twins were born to friends of ours, about a week after Clara.


28 comments:

  1. Oh, Clara and I share a birthday! It sounds like everything is working out so beautifully--what a gift from God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! So glad to hear the doctor's appointment went well. I'm still in shock that all of this is really happening!!! I can only imagine what you and Ryan are feeling. Do you have everything you need? Let me know if you need anything! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think she looks a little more Hispanic to me too...and I know Hispanic babies. ;)

    So, do you mind if I ask--what is your legal status right now? Foster parent? Legal guardian? Do you have to wait until BF rights have been fully terminated until everything is legalized? I'm a total dunce when it comes to domestic adoption so forgive me if this should be obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So wonderful! I, too, am still in shock how this all has happened! I am SO happy for all of you! What a witness to God's perfect plan. Clara is so adorable, I can't wait to meet her!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the three babies. Oh how cute.

    Thanks for the stats! I did read back, but just wanted more! Thank you so much for sharing all this as it happens. We are all so excited for you and it's fun to share in the joy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad she is healthy! My brother was a small baby, too (5lbs8oz at full-term birth), and now he is way taller than me :) I'm sure Clara is growing strong in your new home! Thanks for sharing all of this with us :) What a blessing to your lives and ours!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you seen the movie how to loose a guy in 10 days. Reese is in a bar and the local girl is holding a baby. And Reese is like OHHHH you have a BABY in a BAR!

    I feel like everytime I come to your blog, YOU HAVE A BABY ON THIS BLOG! It's crazy!

    I'm floored!

    5 pound bundle of joy! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey sew, that is sweet. ho.me alab.ama. Great movie btw.

    K, glad to hear Clara is doing so well!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sew - HAHA!! I know! That is a favorite line of mine actually, so I LOVE your use of it!

    Mrs. Mike - That is actually a great question, and I'm going to go back and add it to the post. In Louisiana, it takes 12 months to finalize an adoption (which really means 14 months, since after the paperwork is filed it apparently takes two more months to be official). We looked into finalizing in VA instead, but it would have cost an additional $4,000. I had about an hour to make a decision, and we decided to stick with LA. Hopefully it won't be a big deal, since the birthfather's rights are terminated after four months.

    Right now I'm guessing we are legal guardians. We have an affidavit of adoption that I took to the doctor's appointment yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. After our hearing (when the father's rights are terminated) the social worker said she'd give us the affidavit of adoption. Right now we have foster parent papers- so that sounds right, K.
    She is getting so big! I knew she looked like she grew overnight on Sunday! :) Keep it up sweet Clara!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the great update! I know you'll hear it a lot (along with scads of advice. Ugh - I wanted to hang a sign around my neck: ADVICE SURPLUS. PLEASE DONATE ELSEWHERE)
    but 14 months goes by like the blink of an eye when you're a mom.
    You wake up one morning and it's just...gone.
    Sad, I know.
    But the finalization is thrilling!

    The picture of the preemies - just awesome! And little Jonny looks like a giant compared to little Clara.

    And don't sweat the shots. Infants rarely cry when they get vaccinated, as long as you can keep your emotions in check. (I had trouble with that last part - ha!)

    Sew,

    A good friend of mine posts that as his FB status every once in a while (I guess when he's in a bar and sees a baby) and I always laugh.
    So THAT'S what that's from!
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think she looks partially Hispanic, too. She's gorgeous! I'm so happy for you (I can't say that enough!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can attest that 14 (or 15 months-what Charlie is now) flies by. It is crazy fast! Also, Charlie cries the second he gets the shot and stops the second they let me pick him up. Shots still aren't as bad as I expect, but I guess as they get older they carry on a bit longer. Thankfully that hasn't happened yet, or I might start crying too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Clara is getting big! (Well, big for Clara).

    So happy everything is going well. That time will fly by I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  15. She looks great. We just got word that our daughter's TPR is completed - what a good feeling to know that it's just waiting for paperwork to move across desks now. Prayers for all to continue happily for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great to hear that Clara is gaining well. The picture with the other two preemies is so cute. Thanks for sharing when her birthday is? Do you have to come back to LA for the finalization?

    You know that the blood draw lady who said you'd have a baby in your arms in a year? She said that the day after Clara was born!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Woohoo! So glad to hear that everything went well at the doctor's office!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think Sew's thinking of 'sweet home alabama', funny.

    So is ryan home with you these days or are you and clara by yourselves?? I was so freaked out the first few times i had Nick all by myself, you seem really calm!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your posts are positively riviting. I love all the wonderful photos. Thanks so much for sharing this journey of yours. My daughter recently adopted a child through the foster care system. They got her at 1 day old, went through all the visits, termination of parental rights, etc. Now she has her forever family. Here is a link to the post. I hope you enjoy it when you get a minute of extra time. Blessings.
    http://lorimcktia.blogspot.com/2009/10/there-are-those-who-think-families.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. She is so precious. Glad that the appointment went well.

    I am afraid I have to correct Sew, however, the line is from the movie Sweet Home Alabama with Reese Witherspoon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Quick word of adoption advice: before the adoption is finalized and before they issue you the amended birth certificate; get a copy of her original birth certificate and put it in a safety deposite box for her.
    She might never have a desire for it, but if she does; it will be an amazing gift that you have it preserved for her.
    We're all fightening hard, but sadly, I wouldn't guess to hope that adoptees will have their civil rights restored in the next 18 years.
    Plan ahead for her.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yah for a great doctor's appointment! Did he talk about RSV and possibly trying to make sure that is not an issue? It was something I did not think to mention before. May not be a big deal where yall live, but worth asking about.

    I really don't think that she will have significant dvlp delays because of her prematurity, but there is help out there if needed. I think that with all of the attention and support yall will give her will help her reach her milestones at pretty good stages.
    Clara at 2!!!! What a wonderful thought! Still so very excited for you all. I have to tell you that I was glowng like I would have been her aunt! You will always be able to tell her that she was one of the most-prayed for babies ever!!!

    One lucky girl! One lucky mommy & daddy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the picture of the 3 premies! Only 3 lbs. at birth and in great health - what a miracle baby! Hope you are enjoying settling in with your sweet baby girl.

    ReplyDelete
  24. what great pics! she DOES look so tiny next to her cousin, but just precious next to the twins.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the pictures...so precious.

    ReplyDelete
  26. LIM - Yes, records show that she already had one RSV shot in the hospital and they are checking now to see if our insurance will cover the next one. They expect it to, so we're hoping she gets it at her next appointment in two weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  27. OK I LOVE the crib photo. Hilarious. And love's Sew comment ... it is always fun and shocking (and wonderful!) to see a baby on the blog! yea!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Awesome, I am so relived about that. So very happy that she is THRIVING!

    I used to do alot of work positioning a baby for playtime activities that I learned as a special instructor for 0-3 year olds who had developmental delays so if there is ever a need (most likely not) let me know and I can help you come up with some ideas.

    ReplyDelete