Sunday, March 9, 2008

Fainting spells and house pictures

Well I started my medication yesterday - 2.5 mg of bromocriptine (parlodel) a day. I was worried about the side effects going into it, because I had heard certain forms of it are no longer available because of serious side effects. But I realized treating my elevated prolactin level could be the missing link to all of this, or at least one of the missing links, so of course there was never any doubt I'd take it.

So this morning we're in church and I'm kneeling during the Eucharistic prayer, when all of a sudden I felt really lightheaded. I shook it off and thought to myself, "that was funny, for a minute there I felt like I was going to faint!" But a second later I realized that the feeling wasn't gone, it was actually getting progressively worse.. fast. So I managed to whisper to my husband that I didn't feel well. I kept on kneeling, not sure what to do, but when my eyesight started to go I knew what was coming next. Twice before I have fainted (or nearly fainted; I never lost consciousness) and the last thing that always happens is I can no longer see because everything has turned to green. So when this started to happen I started saying a Hail Mary, but by "blessed art thou" I told my husband I needed to get out of there and I took off towards the back. I went outside and as soon as the air hit my face I felt better. I felt weak but other than that the feeling was gone. Thank God! After a minute of sitting outside, we went back in and I even received communion. So as soon as I got home I looked at the print-out that came with the medication and it actually said dizziness and fainting can occur when starting it! I figured it would say something about dizziness, but I didn't think it would be that specific! It warns you not to drive for a couple days and that some people even fall asleep without any warning. And these aren't rare, contact-your-doctor side effects. These were the common ones. I guess I should have read them yesterday! So today I'm taking it easy and probably won't drive until I feel normal again.

Well I am finally done with my living room, kitchen, office and bedroom (only one guest room left to go) so I thought I'd post some pictures. I already feel better having (most of) the boxes unpacked and we're getting back to normal. Now we just have to clean the apartment tomorrow and (most of) the move will be behind us!

Here's the "before" of our living room:



And the "after":



The "before" of our kitchen, or at least the eat-in area:



And the big reveal (note the curtains I made all by myself!):



Next, our bedroom and a close-up of more curtains I made (well, I actually got some help from Target. They started out as an $18 single panel I cut in two. They're kind of like the sewing version of that "Semi-homemade" show on the Food Network!)





And last but not least, the office isn't anything we spent too much time on, but I'm including a picture because it's the would-be nursery. Hopefully one day these newly-painted red walls will be painted over with a more baby-friendly shade!

6 comments:

  1. so sorry about the faiting and feeling light headedness. That is a terrible feeling. So glad fresh air was a big help. You have GREAT decorating skills! Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your house is absolutely adorable! You've really done a great job at decorating it and making it cozy and nice.

    P and I are going to be house hunting soon and we hope to find something like what you guys have (LOVE the hardwoods and LOVE that paintcolor in the living room ... please don't forget the color - I might have to steal it from you in the fall - if you don't mind!)

    Sorry about the dizziness. That is really scary but at least you know exactly what is causing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry you're having some dizziness problems. I too have some major dizziness, to the point of feeling drunk, (although no faining yet) from the prometrium I have to take. You can adjust to the side effects if you need to. I just have to time things properly so I don't have to drive when I get dizzy spells.

    I also wanted to say, I love your house! It is so cozy. You made great color choices and your hardwood floors are beautiful! When we are ready to point, I may be consulting you for ideas for paint colors...

    ReplyDelete
  5. theWOW!!! Your House is SO Lovely!!! Superb!

    Meanwhile, do take care whilst on the medication, alright?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so impressed with your house! I love the hardwood floors, and the decorating is fantastic! Can I trade you houses? :)

    I'm sorry you were so dizzy--I hope the side effects go away quickly!

    ReplyDelete