Thursday, February 12, 2009

"Her faith increased each time I said no"

I felt like God really spoke to me this afternoon when I was driving in the car on my way to the mall. I was listening to EWTN's daily Mass on the radio, though, so it wasn't too much of a stretch.

Today's Gospel reading was about the woman who begged Jesus to drive the demon out of her daughter. Jesus famously said to her, "Let the children be fed first. For it is not right to take the food of the children and throw it to the dogs."

During the homily, the priest pointed out that Matthew offers a longer version of this story, revealing more detail about how the woman had asked for this several times.

The priest then started talking about how Jesus took on a very different tone with this woman, one that seemingly lacked compassion. He then said that Mother Angelica used to tell a story of how once, when she was meditating on this Gospel passage, she asked Jesus why he spoke this way to the woman.

This, according to the priest, is what Christ told Mother Angelica:

"Yes, I knew this woman's heart, her deep faith and her compassion, but I wanted others to see it. I wanted her to be an example to all mankind of her deep humility and her perseverance. Even the rebuff she accepted in love. Even when she did not understand, she kept asking and she kept loving. Her faith increased each time I said no."

That hit me like a ton of bricks (so much so that once I stopped the car I rewound the program [I have Sirius] and scribbled down exactly what Christ said to her on my grocery list).

I felt like all my suffering was crystallized in that moment. It's all right there.

First, Christ knows my heart. He hears me asking day after day, month after month. If it were as simple as answering the prayers of those who are faithful, he'd have already granted me mine. But it's not that simple. Sometimes Christ uses us as an example to the world. In this case, I believe he is using me as an example of someone who is staying faithful, despite the obvious draw to become pregnant through IVF. Ours is a stance few take, so it makes complete sense that Christ would need us (and when you look at it that way, doesn't it seem completely worthwhile? Can't you just picture Christ asking us personally? If that were to happen, of course we'd say yes!).

But that's not all. This also reminds me that just because I am hearing a 'no' from God each month, that doesn't mean he isn't listening. In fact, we are called to grow in our faith every time we hear a 'no.' We're not supposed to lose faith, or stay stagnant in our faith. No. Every time we start a new cycle, we are actually called to increase our faith, even when we do not understand (that's the story of my life!).

That's not easy. Some months it's all I can do to not scream at God, and yet I am supposed to love him more

You know what, though? I knew this was true even before I heard it on the radio today. We all know it. I know that I have been in denial about it, because it's difficult and uncomfortable. It goes against the way we are conditioned to react to negative situations.

I just can't help but think that if Christ had said this to me, loud and clear in a human voice coming from the clouds, I would change my life that very instant. How could I not? I'd look at infertility in an entirely different light. I would believe undoubtedly that he had knowingly permitted me to suffer infertility for the benefit of not only my soul, but the souls of others, by becoming an example of faith and perseverance to the world. And it would be amazing!

But then I remind myself, he IS saying that! And I shouldn't need a personalized message for it to sink in! (Even though he was kind enough to tell it to Mother Angelica, so she could share it with us.)

I'm going to try to remember this. Every time my prayers seemed to go unanswered, or every time I seem to get a 'no', I am going to try my hardest to love Christ more, and I'm going to picture him asking me, personally, to do this for him. I'm never going to stop asking, and I'm never going to stop being an example of faith to the world. The woman eventually had her prayer answered and the demons driven out of her daughter, but Christ's hesitation to do so had a deep purpose. I think it does for all of us, too.

20 comments:

  1. K, this is a beautiful, beautiful reflection! I'm so glad you were in the right place at the right time to hear this. I must bookmark this post and return to it often during difficult moments.

    I'm praying this is a fabulous weekend for you ladies! Take pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful reflection. You have definitely been an example to me. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful reflection, I agree, and helpful to me for another reason entirely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for these words. I received my adoption papers yesterday and I have to admit, I am scared. It's a lot of money up front for something that may never happen. Many people look at the many, many miscarriages I have suffered and can't imagine why I would put myself or my family through it again(ever). I don't even have a sane answer. One that the world would understand, that is. All of the no's and the suffering and loss seem to be what God is asking of me. I feel like it's sort of a forced "bipolar disorder". Happy and hopeful over a new life and despair and anguish over loss(over and over). You have inspired me and I pray for you(and others I have met) all the time. God let you know, just today, that He hears you. That's pretty incredible, isn't it? God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, this just totally blew my mind. It was exactly what I needed to hear. Praise Jesus that you posted it. A thousand times, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was thinking how is she going to be able to come off of a post like yesterday. But are you seeing how this is all tying in from yesterday. As if this is the icing on the cake!

    Dear Sweet Jesus, I am humbled. ;) How ignorant I am. But maybe deep down we knew this somehow. I do believe that His no every month is an answer to begging!

    I am printing that out and putting it in my sewing room to be reminded that my month of no's have a purpose. Though I do feel that I am infertile for a purpose and I beg when I am strong and in the right mind, that if this cross of IF gets me & my husband to heaven then keep me infertile.

    Though I don't always act like that, my despair time is definately not as long as it used to be. It might be frequent but doesn't last for days! :) hahahaha

    I have had people tell me they would have broken down already and been at a fertility clinic for ART procedures. So that is interesting.

    Great post! Thanks for sharing how God spoke to you today! I am renewed to accept His no this month. I am prepared! :) Maybe...

    ReplyDelete
  7. BTW-I don't accept the rebuff's in love though, I take them personally! ;)

    It also increases my faith by a smidgin!

    Maybe that is why years keep getting added! hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, how do you do it? I feel like my recent posts are more like the diary of a third-grader compared to yours!

    This is really fascinating stuff. I forget when it was, but not too long ago we had this same reading at Mass, and the deacon did the homily. He talked about how Jesus was not only making the woman an example of strong faith, but pointing out to his DISCIPLES (who had a problem of thinking that their proximity to Jesus made them holier-than-thou) that even they are not GUARANTEED the kingdom of heaven. He knew (according to our deacon) that the disciples were thinking how dare this woman approach Jesus so boldly, and so he ECHOED their feelings verbally by saying what he did to her. But then in the end, healing her daughter was the epiphany the disciples needed to understand their own prejudices.

    Anyway, my point is, this story is so deep, on so many levels. I love that I keep learning more and more about it, and about how and why Jesus did certain things :)

    And you're completely right- I think Jesus wants us to react exactly how you described with each "failure" in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is going to give me a lot to meditate on for the next few days. I'm just inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an inspirational post! Thank you for sharing and writing it so beautifully and sincerely.
    makingmemom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for shedding some much needed light on all these no's.

    I know that this applies to me. Unfortunately, I forget that infertility is being allowed in my life to help me, not to hurt me.

    It helps sanctify me, and humble me. (something I desperately needed!) Now, I do feel I have been made low. SOOO low ... I do not even feel worthy of being a mother sometimes! That is how low I feel! But in the end, when I do become one, I will never take it for granted for one second.

    I pray that Christ will help me to completely trust Him, even if He says no a thousand more times.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oooooo... this is GOOD STUFF!!! Thank you so much for sharing your heart and the lessons the Lord is teaching you. You have truly blessed me (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never left a comment, but I read your blog all the time. I think I found it via google or maybe the Yahoo! Catholic IF group.

    Anyway, I just wanted to say that you ARE an example to me. My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for a while, and everytime I even begin to think about IVF or any other illict means of conceiving, I come across something you write that tells me NO. Not because you think it's wrong, but because God does. I just don't listen to God the way I should so he has to find another way of getting it into my thick skull.

    I just wanted to say thank you for being brave, having so much faith in God and then sharing it with me.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh, what a wondeful post. Something we should all try to remember in all parts of our lives and our prayers and hopes. I am keeping a copy of this post to remind myself from time to time! You are quite the wise chick, Mrs. K!

    ReplyDelete
  15. K, what a profound post. I couldn't agree with you more.

    I have been following your blog for a while now. I had 2 laprascopies by non-PPVI doctors, and then was told the only way we would ever conceive was through IVF. I was devastated as I did not want to do IVF, but the worst part was that my husband didn't see anything wrong with it. My in-laws never said anything to me directly, but I knew that they didn't understand why I wouldn't do everything possible to have children. This was the most desolate and difficult time in my life. I felt like God was asking me to be a witness, but I couldn't understand how he could ask me to choose between him and my husband.

    There were many nights of crying and moments of feeling disconnected with my husband. Yet, I could feel that our love was growing through this pain. My husband finally agreed to try PPVI. So, I sent records and began charting, but I could tell my husband was skeptical. It was so difficult. It is one thing to have infertility, but then to feel distanced from my own husband, was even worse.

    I prayed to God, falling to my knees many times in utter despair...feeling abandoned. I had so much anxiety about everything, I was almost paralyzed, until finally one day I was driving to work, and I can remember actually surrendering to God. I told God, I don't know where you are taking me on this road of infertility, but I cannot figure it out, and I am going to stop trying. I told God "You know how much I love my husband, so I am going to trust that you will not allow this to separate us." For once in my life, I was walking in complete blind faith with total surrender. When arguments would arise, I would simply try to lovingly defend God's teaching and accept the pain of arguing.

    I started to notice my husband talking about God more, and praying with me more. I started to realize that my infertility was given to me for a purpose.

    I finally heard from Dr Hilgers and was waiting to be set up for surgery in Omaha. Two days before I was due to start my lab tests, I woke up at 3am (the hour of divine mercy) and had to use the bathroom. I was 2 days late for my cycle, and I was shaking. I was never late, but I was so afraid of being let down once again. I took a pregnancy test...and it was positive. I began crying. I didn't believe it. I took another test, and it was also positive.

    I am now 7 weeks pregnant, and I actually still don't understand how I am pregnant. I truly believe it is a miracle. I don't know why God allowed this to finally happen to me, and of course I worry every day that something will go wrong. Even in pregnancy, it doesn't end: God is ultimately in control and we just have to trust and surrender.

    I am so sorry to have written such a long post, but I just wanted to perhaps offer some hope to all of you whom I have come to appreciate, admire and respect through this blog. We truly need to surrender our lives to God and realize that He ultimately knows what we need in order for our souls to reach it's ultimate happiness...heaven. May God continue to bless all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful Post. Remember, as well, “Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.” -James 1:12
    Keep persevering. You never know God's plan.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A beautiful post that spoke to many hearts! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kristin your pregnant? Weren't we just talking about you getting a LAP with Dr Hilgers a few months ago!

    I am glad you were spared all of the uneccessaries. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kristin - CONGRATULATIONS! Oh my goodness!! I was like.. it that THE Kristin?? And then I clicked on your name and realized it was. That is so amazing!! Thanks for sharing that news!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. glad i found this today. i needed this.

    ReplyDelete