Tonight I was asked how infertility has affected my relationship with God, and it got me thinking about some of the hard questions I have asked throughout the last three-plus years, and how my receptiveness to possible answers to those questions has slowly changed. For example, I have many memories of lying in bed at night just so sad and desperately wanting to "talk about it." That's my husband's worst nightmare, I'm sure (remember, these were the days before I knew what a blog was and you, my dear reader, could listen to me vent). So he had to just lie there and listen to me babble on and on, asking deep, dark questions like, 'why would a loving God cause me to suffer in this way and not bless us with children, which are the very reason a man and woman join together before God as husband and wife in the first place?' He would offer very nice advice ("because his plan for you hasn't yet been revealed") and then listen as I flatly refuted it. The one argument I kept coming back to was this: Bad things happen to very holy people and there is a chance that no matter how faithful I am, I could die with no children. Then the conversation would turn to whether my reward would be in heaven and that was just too much to take in at the time. It just wasn't consolation to think that I would be rewarded in the next life. Not at age 29.
Luckily for both him and me, that has changed. We never have those late night infertility depression talks (thanks internet!) and I have to believe that even if we did, they would go very differently. The reason I know this is because I find myself giving others the very advice my husband once gave me. And I believe it! That's what happened tonight. As I was emailing someone I realized that I had, at some point, begun believing what my husband always tried to tell me. Maybe it is self-preservation, maybe I have just been worn down. I tend to believe, though, that this transformation has taken place through prayer. I have cried out to God so often to help me, hoping that help would come down like a lightning bolt and when it didn't, I wondered if he'd heard me at all. It wasn't until long after (we're talking years) that I realized I received the help I was asking for. It took a while, but I have slowly come to accept the answers to some of the very tough questions I use to ask. Like...
Question: Why does God want me to suffer like this?
Old Answer: Who knows! It makes no sense. Everyone else can get pregnant and I can't. Can he not hear me? Does he not love me?
New Answer: He doesn't want me to suffer but he allows it for several reasons, such as a) to purify my soul, b) so I can share in the sufferings of his son, c) because the suffering may only be temporary and I am just being very impatient.
Question: What if the suffering is not temporary and I never have children?
Old Answer: I will live a horrible existence, my life will be wasted and maybe, if I am lucky, I will receive my reward in heaven, whatever that means.
New Answer: If I am to never have children (biologically), then I will join millions of other couples who will also never have biological children. I am not alone and God did not single me out to hurt me. That being said, being childless never has to be the end result because we can always adopt. If, for some reason, God puts it on our hearts to not adopt, then there must be a really good reason for that and that would be something we would decide together and have to be completely okay with.
Question: What if I am never okay with not having biological children and I am miserable for the rest of my life?
Old Answer: I don't know! I guess I will just cry every day and no one will want to be around me, ever. And I will be a horrible adoptive parent because my child will always know that I am depressed and God forbid he or she finds out it's because I couldn't get pregnant.
New Answer: That misery will subside as I draw nearer to God. That might be hard to understand at first, but it will happen. This was a sticking point for me just a couple years ago, as I refused to believe the sting of infertility would ever go away. In fact, I thought it would only increase with time. I have found that while it is still painful, I have come to the realization that misery does not please God and to love him is to want to please him. Plus, if what people say is true, that misery becomes a distant memory when your adopted baby is put in your arms.
I remember one night, my poor husband was trying to read a book with me about suffering. We had ordered it online and our hopes were high that it might offer me some help. We got to a chapter about the need to find something that brings you joy in life (like an activity, such as gardening or playing the piano) and I could go no further. I literally sobbed and sobbed because I could not think of one thing in the world that brought me joy, which just depressed me even more. My husband tried his best to list off some possibilities and I just knocked them all down. And at the time, I was being honest. Nothing brought me joy. I was depressed. But I am so blessed today to be able to look back on that and say I have discovered several things that bring me joy. I truly believe God has answered my prayers and transformed me so that I am able to experience joy in the midst of suffering. That's what it is all about - living with this. It was the theme of all of my tough questions. I was afraid of how much it would hurt to live with this pain and what that meant for my relationship with and image of God. I am not on the other side of this by any means, but I really feel like I have grown so much. With God's help, I have learned that suffering is manageable and things can get better. Believe me, I still hope things get much better for me. The difference is that I now believe they will.
This post is very encouraging! I think the best observation you made (at least the one that stuck with me the most) is that dealing with suffering is a process that doesn't have black and white answers. Eventually (and slowly) one can start to piece together bits of answers and feel more comfortable living with those answers and the suffering.
ReplyDeleteWhat's kind of ironic is that, while I was grieving my IF the most, I thought that once I finally got pregnant I wouldn't have to struggle with suffering any more (at least not on that topic). Actually, getting pg (well, staying pg) just kind of took the edge off. All the questions still stayed and the wounds still needed healing. It's a process.
Thanks for this post! I have been dealing with the question of suffering for a long time now and it's always good to get more perspective on it...
you are an incredible woman! your writing makes it clear that the Holy Spirit is so close to you. God is smiling :)
ReplyDeleteIn college I really delved into the idea of suffering. I had so so so many moments like the ones you describe... but He was always there! And isn't it so wonderful to be able to gain perspective, to be blessed with wisdom, with strength, with faith.
You have my continued prayers. Your children will be blessed to have such a faith-filled, joyous mom!
Thanks...thanks so much for this post...for sharing your tots...I am very touched...Thanks.
ReplyDeleteAnd I thank God, for internet blogging....
Just reading blogs from people like you all, echoing similar qns and tots, are a form of healing in itself too...
Thanks.
I believe I am still somewhere in between your "old" answers and your "new" answers. Because as I read them both, I kept nodding and thinking, "Yes!"
ReplyDeleteI think for me, an added level of fear comes into play. I often wonder if my IF is a punishment. Not a punishment from an angry God, but more of a humbling punishment, a lesson to teach me that I cannot and should not judge others when I am not perfect, myself. (For example, during the 1st year of trying, I'd often wonder why people who were unwed, abused drugs, etc. we able to get pregnant and receive the ultimate gift from God. I began to feel strongly that God was showing me that I can't control who does and does not have children, not even for myself and my DH.)
Reading your post reminds me that I need to let go and let God... ALL the time, not just on my "good" days. I do feel very very strongly that you and I both were meant to be mommies, whether biological or adoptive, and that God will lead us to our children.
Thanks for writing this!
What a great post! I can relate to both the old and new answers. Right in the middle of my treatment I really prayed the song Blessed be your Name, and meant it.
ReplyDelete"Every blessing You pour out I'll turn back and praise. When the darkness closes in Lord, still I will say Blessed be the Name of the Lord.... etc."
It was a turning point for me.
Thanks so much for sharing this.
ReplyDeleteI think you are in a great place.
I have to admit, you are further along than I am, though.
You hit the nail on the head when you talked candidly about the struggle to find joy in suffering. That is my number one frustration and fear - that nothing else will truly ever fulfill me outside of having a child with P.
I do have moments where a glimmer of hope comes through, though, like when I see pictures of Iraqi orphans, or contemplate adopting a child with a disability. I desire so strongly to make a difference in this world and I feel that doing something like that would be fulfilling for me because I can impact a child's life for the better. And in those moments I realize how small my little universe of trying to get pregnant can be. I realize that God is so much bigger - that so many children need a loving home - that it would be my privilege to offer it to them. And then I start to get excited about the prospect!
But the difficulty is this in between time ... waiting for God to reveal His plan and allowing Him to purify me so I can be better for our future children.
wow.
ReplyDeletei, too, have struggled with my relationship with god since we started TTC (also three years ago, which i definitely do not think is a coincidence that i found your blog!). i've tried to fill my days with good works so i could bank deservedness of a baby. i volunteered for everything at church, i did everything that was liturgically based at school, i lit candles, really, the list goes on.
not only have i been angry with god, but i have been angry with myself for being angry with god. i do have to say that even in my lowest times, when i looked at the beautiful cross above the altar at our church, i knew in my heart that i could bear my suffering, regardless of how unbearable it seemed.
although i feel like i'm finally nearing the end of my struggle (yay dr. hilgers!), i know that i had to go through the past three years of experiences, good or bad.
my motto is "nothing is impossible with god." and that's how i see finally becoming a mom, regardless of the way, i will be one.
Great post! It is so encouraging to see how others have grown in their faith during infertility! Your journey seems so similar to my own! A few prayers your way that it just keeps getting better and better!
ReplyDeleteYou post is amazing. I too have struggled with my relationship with God during my IF. To a point where I am truly okay with God's will and then in an instant I feel like I am in a boxing ring ready to just loose my mind. You have come along way and it seems like things are falling into place. I wish I was as far along as you...God's Peace!
ReplyDeleteI found your blog and felt an immediate connection. I am a teacher and have been trying to get pregnant for 5 years. We have had 3 unsuccessful AI's and we are now trying to adopt. I will pray for you...
ReplyDelete