Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Our day at the beach

Today was a great day. We went to the beach AND I have officially lost 12 pounds. I know, I shouldn't have complained this past week about not losing any weight. It must have been the bloating and it all worked out in the end (hmmm..maybe that was a little mini-lesson for me).

So back to the beach. We've never lived so close to the ocean before, so we are determined to take advantage of it. And we thought it would help to lift both of our spirits (my husband is sad he can't go on his annual nascar trip next weekend). We had a great time... except when I got a call from my doctor's office telling me they needed to reschedule my appointment for a week later. Ahhhh! Anyone who has read my recent posts knows I am counting down the days to this appointment. I got really upset at first, but now I'm resigned to it. What else can I do?

So the highlight of the day: I'm laying on the beach and all of a sudden my husband yelled my name. I looked up, knowing from the tone of this voice that he saw someone we knew. I was thinking, 'Oh great, it's probably one of his co-workers and I have no make-up on.' But guess who he recognized that was walking right by us? Ell.iot Yam.in! For those who are not American Idol fans, he was on the show the season before last. Here he is as I stalked him walking down the beach with my cell phone camera (he's on the right):



Just in case any of you are serious fans of his and happen to know that he was somewhere else today (and, honestly, that would just be plain weird, no offense).. I am not 100% sure it was him, but I am 99.999% sure. I didn't go up to him because a) I didn't want to annoy him and b) I had no make-up on. I know, I'm sure he wouldn't have noticed or cared. I just have a complex.

Since I'm showing pictures... Today I actually wore something I sewed. That's right - I made a skirt! For someone who has never sewn their whole life, it's pretty cool to wear something you made in public! So I had my husband take a picture of me:

Not bad, right? It looks like I could have bought it, if I say so myself (although if you inspected it inside-out, you'd probably figure out that it was made by a beginner). And the Amy Butler fabric I used to make it was on sale, so that was a bonus. And I didn't use a pattern. I basically just modeled it after two skirts I have. Cheap and designed to my liking. You can't beat it! Oh, if I had kids, I would totally sew their clothes! But since I do not, my dog is next in line. Just wait for those pictures...

Okay, one more picture. This is a little tote bag I made for my goddaughter. I also didn't use a pattern for this, but it was a lot easier than I thought it would be:


So that's it for today. I know, it was riveting. Oh, one more thing - I officially posted my infertility history on the right side. I really like when I see that on other blogs because it's just easy to reference, whether you're new to the blog or you forgot what their story is. Writing it was like a little trip down memory lane. It really served as a reminder of how much we've been though these last three (almost four) years, mainly because it's so long. But it also reminded me that I've never had any real chance at conceiving.. at least not yet. So it's not like it just hasn't happened all these years. We actually haven't even begun having a chance. But we will soon!

10 comments:

  1. Congrats on your weight loss !!! Told you it's water retention :)

    And you look FABULOUS in the skirt - it looks sweet and refreshing ! And the bag! It's so cute and chic in a Japanese way.

    And thanks so much for the journey you posted - it's inspired me to do likewise for my next post.

    BTW, Patricia Cornwell is one of my fav authors, and her books are based in Richmond, Virgina!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Amy Butler skirt! I can't believe you did it without a pattern! You have inspired me to take sewing lessons! I have a sewing machine and sewed about 3 years ago! I want to make skirts because they seem so easy but got the pattern out and realized I need lessons. So they start tomorrow! :) Its seems like a good way to use the time I have on my hands!!! Congrats on your weight loss!!! I finally remembered my blog name! And I wish I lived closer because I would so join you at St. Bernards! Maybe you can do a webcast! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the skirt and the bag! I feel a desire to sew...and I have never done it!

    Thank you for posting your journey. I came across your website about 2 weeks ago, and I was trying to piece together your story, because it seemed so similar to mine. I have severe endometriosis and have had 2 laparoscopies in the last 2 years. My husband and I have been married one year this month and are now facing the beginning of the fertility testing/treatment through a local doctor. Your blog has provided me with a lot of information and support. Thank you!

    I really wish that I could join you as well at St Bernards...I love the webcast idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. your skirt is beautiful, but not as beautiful as you! i LOVE your sewing projects...you're inspring me to learn!

    prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this little beach trip,coupled with the cute pictures of your sewing creations has actually lifted my spirit, too!

    I am inspired by your positive attitude and your hope. It is something I really struggle with when it comes to ttc!

    Also, when we move down to your neck of the woods, we plan to take lots of beach trips to the outer banks -- maybe we can all meet up sometime!

    There is just something about the beach that makes everything go away for me. It's like a sense of timelessness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you had a good weekend! You sound pretty relaxed.

    Thanks for the timeline! I have been reading for a while, but it does help to fill in some holes and serve as a reminder.

    Congratulations on the weight loss! It feels really good to loose weight, doesn't it? =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was great for you to post your IF history! I now have a much clearer view of how you got to where you are!

    Love the skirt, by the way! So many bloggers do lots of stuff like sewing, crocheting, and knitting. I might just have to join the club!

    Sorry about your delayed appointment! I know how much I always looked forward to my appointments too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How did you find out u had endo? Did your OBGYN tell you or was that something you had to get diagnosed by an RE? What about the PCOS diagnosis? Could I have that and not know or would I know or my OB know?

    ReplyDelete
  9. nikjaye - I'm pretty sure endo can't be officially diagnosed until seen in a laparoscopy. I did have a couple doctors claim to see it on an u/s, but that isn't definitive. My ob/gyn never even mentioned it and I never saw an RE. And from my experience, you can definitely have PCOS and not know it, since I wasn't diagnosed until more than 3 1/2 years of infertility. And my original ob/gyn never mentioned it either. With me, my fsh/lh (or lh/fsh, I'm not sure which way it goes) ratio is 2:1 (I think it should be 1:1) and I have high testosterone, which are both signs. I also produced too many follicles on Clomid, which I guess is also a sign. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the new history on the sidebar. How funny, we were both getting u/s series with Dr. Jean in July of '07!! I wonder if we had bumped into each other in the waiting room :) She thought I had a luteinized unruptured follicle, too, so she gave me a trigger (only once), I prayed to St. Jude that night, and the next morning's u/s revealed TWO follicles had ruptured!! Now, if St. Jude could just start working on his next big miracle for me... lol!
    Gorgeous skirt, by the way! You can make me one anyday. And I know this week will go by fast for you, your appt. will be here before you know it.

    ReplyDelete