Friday, May 9, 2008

The new love in my life

Oh, strawberry, where have you been all these years? I apologize for ignoring you for so long. I know, we had some good times when I was a kid, back when we'd go strawberry picking. It's just that you came to symbolize healthy food and all that is not fun. But I've officially started a new chapter in my life and I'm happy to announce...you're a part of it, strawberry!

By the way, have you smelled them before? (I know, I know, not everyone swore off fruit for the last decade). They are intoxicating. I just stand in the produce department with the little plastic cartons to my nose. I can eat a carton a day, easily. I wonder if that is bad. Oh well, it's better than a carton of ice cream.

The diet is going well. We've had several new items for dinner that we would have liked even before the diet, like chicken cordon bleu, fajitas, cheese steak roll-ups, all with approved low-glycemic and low-fat ingredients of course (I've gotten creative). We've also had filet mignon (because it is allowed on this diet, and you better believe I'll be making it once a week..I need something to look forward to), pasta primavera, turkey chili, and much more. Turkey sandwiches, omega-3 eggs and eggbeaters, fruit, salad, high-fiber whole wheat toast, almonds and low-fat no-sugar-added ice cream, among other things, serve as breakfast, lunch and snacks (I do use a little regular butter on my toast which my mom assured me is not going to hurt me and if my mom says it, it must be true). My husband also eats low-fat cottage cheese and all-bran cereal, but I can't stomach either. Did I mention he's doing the diet with me? He weighed himself today and lost three pounds. Yay! I haven't officially weighed myself yet (I thought our scale was broken until he pointed out today that you can manually turn the little arrow back to zero) but my clothes are a little looser. 

So I made another bag. This one is for my mom for Mother's Day (again, I hope she doesn't secretly read this blog). I am not 100% happy with it because the fabric store I went to didn't sell cotton canvas, which is supposed to be sewn inside to make the bag a little more durable. Instead, I used fusible fleece (I think that's what it's called) and it turned out okay, but a little too stiff. I also made handkerchiefs for my mom and two sisters' dogs out of the fabric scraps but for some reason didn't take any pictures of them and they are now safely on their way to New York and California. They are reversible and oh so cute.

This bag only cost me $16 and three hours of my time. Not bad, considering usually I'd spend much more on a gift. 

I am procrastinating working on my documentary. I played around with it a little yesterday and was very uninspired, yet whenever I really get into it I end up being so happy and glad I did it and the hours literally fly by (yes, literally, not just figuratively). So why do I avoid something that I know will make my joyful? I secretly want to deprive myself of happiness, I guess. Anyway, I'm almost done with the trailer I've been putting together and will hopefully post it on here soon. My husband is also working on a website so when that's up and running I'll post a link for that as well. Okay, now off to work...

Wait.. one more quick update. I had to call in my temperatures and pulses to PPVI today for the thyroid study I'm in. The thing is, they say to call them if your pulse is over 90, which mine often is. I've never called because they never seem to think my quick pulse is a big deal, so I just wait until I'm scheduled to call. But now, my pulse has reached between 110 and 120 on several occasions. That can't be good! So now I'm waiting for the nurse to call me back with my next instructions. I'm really curious to see if they'll reduce the dose.

Okay, now off to work...

4 comments:

  1. Hey there, just thought I'd let you know my pulse is usually high, too... before and after starting T3. I wouldn't worry about the 98s TOO much, but if it stays above 100, definately call.
    Oh, and I've recently started a blog, I'm a Creighton Model/NaPro patient, too- - it's nice to see and meet others like us, isn't it?
    I wish you the best in your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can't wait until strawberries are in season up here!!! my mouth started to water when i saw the photo on your blog!

    i wish i was as creative as you are while procrastinating. i envy anyone that can sew!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so bad about the temperature and pulse records! My doctor told me that they wanted to make sure my pulse stays under 100, so I'd definitely ask some questions.

    I love the bags! They make me want to get a sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE Dr. Jean!! That place feels like home to me, now (as well it should, I've been going for over 1.5 yrs)! She's just the best, and you're right, it's so nice to have a Catholic Dr.

    The best part of having the Creighton practitioner training in NY is that she is a guest speaker about NaPro! How cool that I get to have "my" Dr at the training :)
    If you want to see if there are any courses being offered closer to you, contact the Institute. They starting to offer them in more places lately.

    ReplyDelete