I am officially gaining weight. It's no longer a fluke, or bloating. I am now up eight pounds.
I don't know for sure the cause. I did start clomid this cycle and a quick google search did show anecdotal evidence that it can cause weight gain. But this soon? I just took it a week ago!
I also read online that thyroid meds can do it, and my new ones started in June so maybe the weight gain is just kicking in now. Hydrocortisone, which I started in July, is another possible cause.
Of course, it could be that I went off of my diet after my surgery. It could also be that I was very inactive after my surgery. It could also be that I haven't been perfect since then, even eating some sugar this weekend. I was so strict on my diet (until recently) because I was afraid of a few cheats here and there causing weight gain. Apparently I had good reason to fear.
I just hate that this is now added to my normal amount of infertility stress. I have been so thankful over the last year and a half that my weight was never anything I had to worry about. And it's not just what the scale says that relaxed me, it's more the luxury of knowing all my clothes were going to fit me at all times. Now none of my pants fit comfortably, and most don't fit at all. I have one pair that's tight and probably looks horrendous, but at least I can still wear them. I just have to wear them every day. Lovely.
I am going to be strict again with the diet and walk every day. I'm going to do everything I can to combat the effects of the drugs, if that's what it is.
All I know is that something has to change soon, because I can't afford new clothes.
In cycle news, it's day 12 and I called this morning to make an ultrasound appointment for tomorrow with Dr. L. I also made an appointment for Thursday because I know they fill up fast and you never know if the one ultrasound will be enough.
I'm really hoping she can find my right ovary this time. Last month she couldn't locate it in either of two ultrasounds. And since it doesn't appear that I ovulated on that side the last two cycles, I'm guessing there's a good chance this month I will.
I also haven't had any abdominal pain this cycle which is so rare for me. I always started with some mild left or right side pain around cycle day five or six on Tamoxifen, but this cycle I've been pain free. This morning I did feel a little twinge, but that's fine because hopefully ovulation is right around the corner.
Apparently Clomid did dry me up a little, but that is actually good news for me! For the first time in a while, I actually had green stickers after my period. Days seven through 10 were dry, and then I saw clear, stretchy mucus yesterday and today. My opk was negative this morning, which is good because I don't want to have the u/s too late.
So I'm gearing up for the dreaded weigh-in tomorrow at the doctor's office. My chart is showing my weight steadily rise at each visit. Great. But hopefully that will be overshadowed by good news about my follicle(s). Trying to stay positive!
*Update - Okay, now the pain is definitely on the right side, and it just made for a difficult walk. I can't believe in all this time I've never had pain while out walking Sophie. Not fun! And I'd also like to readjust my official weight gain amount - without clothes I'm at a 6.8 lb. gain. Still not great, but it makes me feel a little better.
Tuesday, October 27, 2009
Weight gain
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm sorry you are having a rough time weight-wise. I hope that doing well on your diet helps. I hope your u/s goes well. Are you getting any blood work done this cycle?
ReplyDeleteOh girl, it is hard. Medicines do have an affect on our bodies and I'm sure that not exercising and moving off of the diet and adding sugar back in is enough to have the triple effect and bring on the gain.
ReplyDeletePraying that getting back on track and walking will pull those pounds back off. Also praying this month you DO ovulate.
Hang in there!
The combo of it all - surgery, eating, less activity, meds. It all reaks havoc on your system. So sorry. I'm in the same boat. I gained weight with the OHSS and haven't lost it all completely plus I don't really have the motivation to cook right in my tiny mini-kitchen. Let's hope we both get it under control. It's one less thing to have to worry about on a daily basis.
ReplyDeleteClomid bloats me! :)
ReplyDeleteWOOOOHHOOOOO about the green stickers!!!! So great!!! I love it!!!!
It's pouring rain here or w and I would be walking too! :( I found a dog on my walk yesterday! :( What a mess! :)
I am in shock that you've gained a single ounce! You are so teeny tiny!!!
ReplyDeleteThat being said, I know the weight gain (ever so slight that it is) is stressing you out, so I hope you can achieve and maintain all your weight goals asap!
Hello! I found your blog while searching through some other infertility sites. Anyway, just wanted to chime in and say I completely feel you on the weight gain! Ugh! Progesterone supplements caused it for me and I am miserable! I've gained between 7 and 10 pounds; it's enough that my size 6 clothes are NOT comfortable! YUCKY! Just wanted you to know you are NOT alone in that, at all. And, I bet the hydrocortisone has a lot to do with it since it is a steroid.
ReplyDeleteI didn't have time to read this whole thing but wanted to let you know I suspect Hydrocort in my own case. I gained 7 lbs sometimes between March when I started Hydrocort and June when I got weighed. I had been on Clomid before for 9 cycles, and T3 for almost 2 yrs, so I don't think that did it for me.
ReplyDeleteAlso seeing as your weight gain is around the same time frame (3 1/2 months or so), I would guess it's the Hydrocort.
I'm off it now, and still waiting for the lbs to come off :(
b/c the meds aren't enough.. there is the weight gain too.
ReplyDeletelike you, i've experienced the same thing, but i can't blame it all on that.. i have fallen off the wagon a bit eating wise and i think my pilates is really just maintaining me and not sending me over the edge.
Oh yeah, weigh yourself in the morning, without clothes. It's usually a better result :) And weighing yourself at the same time each time you weigh is also supposed to be more accurate. Hope the diet and walking will help and if it is the meds, that they counteract that.
ReplyDeleteFingers crossed for a good u/s! I was going to ask you about how your eating has been going (as I scarfed down a oreo). Your blog is actually how I found this whole world of Cath.olic IFs and I really appreciated your low-gi posts. Too bad that hormoness/sugar can do so much to our bodies.
ReplyDeleteI think I gained that much in the four months before my period due to LAZINESS. It would be nice to have some meds to blame it on :). And while I could never aspire to your strict diet, if your meds are making things difficult, you could probably make a small tweak exercise-wise that would tip the scales back your way. Lifting hand-weights would increase your muscle mass, which automatically burns more calories - plus you get toned arms. Now, isn't that fun? :)
ReplyDelete