Wednesday, October 7, 2009

In pain again

I woke up with pretty bad intestinal pain. At least that's what I'm really hoping it is. Although that's what I thought it was last time and it wasn't.

I guess it could be a corpus luteum caused by the trigger shot, but right now I'm going on the assumption that it's a result of me eating too much fiber.

See, the other day we decided to get back on the diet. And that means eating high-fiber foods. What it doesn't mean is eating five bowls of all.bran flakes. Which I did. Yesterday.

On top of gorging myself on cereal, I also ate a couple bowls of my homemade barley and red bean vegetable soup. Also high in fiber.

And I didn't drink any water, which supposedly you are supposed to do if you're eating tons of fiber (unfortunately, I've had an aversion to water since doing my bowel prep. I think I was traumatized).

That could be it, right? It's not concentrated on one side like ovary pain usually is. It's stabbing pain on and off, and all over the abdomen, on both sides. I'm really hoping it's the fiber thing and that it will pass. I did take four advil (which didn't really help) and I'm using a heating pad (which helps in the moment).

I also had my peak-plus seven blood draw today. This should be interesting because if not for the ultrasounds showing I ovulated on cycle day 14, I probably would have thought today was only about four days past peak. I can't wait to see what the results are.

On the adoption front, our case worker is really thinking of us a lot lately, which is a great thing! She called again early this morning with a couple more scenarios she wanted to run by us (oddly I didn't freak out when she started the conversation with "I can't believe I am calling you again already!" which I could have taken to mean she had good news about yesterday's situation. She didn't.)

This time it was two different possibilities, one involving a four-month old with a severe possibly-life-threatening illness. The other was a sibling group of two children, one three-years old and the other 16 months, with some attachment and minor health issues. The children were all of races other than Caucasian.

We thought about it and we think it just wouldn't work for us. I don't think I am strong enough to care for a baby who may die. It will take a real special couple to take that child in and I know whoever does will be blessed immensely, I'm sure. But it's just not meant to be us. And the sibling group would just be too much too fast for us. Again, they need that perfect family and, as our case worker assured me, the right family will come forward, it always does.

But I can't help but wonder, am I weak? Would a better person do whatever they could for these basically orphaned children? I know we are told throughout this process not to feel bad about saying no to special needs we don't think we are capable of handling, but I can't help thinking that a more spiritually mature version of myself could handle it and/or would just do it, regardless of what she could handle.

I know, I know. I'm not losing any sleep over it. And who knows if we'd even be picked for these children. Maybe someone else out there really wants them at this very moment. Let's hope.

Oh, and after I posted yesterday about the abandoned baby, I googled it and was inundated with results. Apparently it's a big news story in that area. So I learned a little more information about the situation that was pretty interesting and I was reminded what a long shot it is. Just to think that we would be picked to parent a baby that was all over the news, a baby everyone wants, just seems like something that would never happen to us. I guess anything is possible though.

So I'm going to spend the rest of the day on the couch (what else is new?) taking it easy and eating anything but fiber. Let's hope that does the trick.

9 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you are dealing with pain again. I hope it goes away soon and isn't serious. I hope your P+7 results look great. It's awesome that you are hearing about a lot of different adoption possibilities right now. I hope the perfect one for you comes along soon. I'll be praying for you and for the children that need a home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! So sorry about the pain. But hopefully the fiber is to blame... so it should leave your system soon???

    Keep us posted on the results of your bloodwork.

    Still praying for God's will in growing your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i hate to hear you are in pain again! i hope it goes away on it's own and is just from the fiber.

    i think it's super positive you are hearing about so many leads.. the right one will be finding it's way to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are wise to pass on those referals if you feel no peace about them. You have been through A LOT in the last few years and waiting on the right baby (i.e. YOUR baby) is so so smart.
    People will step forward to adopt the others(heck, I feel tempted myself!) And maybe someday down the road you will find yourself adopting a special needs child...but starting with a baby with no known medical issues, that to me sounds like the way to go. And I speak as one who didn't do that...those attachment issues can definitly be fixable, but they do some damage to the parent, especially a first time parent! I speak from experience! :)

    You will know when your baby has come along!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had some pretty bad belly pain yesterday. I ate WAY too much fibre and I paid for it, big time! When will I ever learn???

    I find when I have tummy issues that putting something hot on it (like a magic bag or a heating pad) really helps. Also peppermint tea always helps!

    I don't think that it's selfish to admit that you can't handle children with high needs. As a teacher I feel overwhelmed when I have students that need the extra help (and it seems like there's more and more every year!). I can't imagine having a child that has high needs or may have a fatal illness living in my home. You will have your family one day, the perfect situation will present itself, I'm certain.

    Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. whoa! That was a lot of fiber, girl!
    Hope that's all it was and that you feel better soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fiber in the cereal forms absolutely KILLS ME! It is so painful! So i would think the 5 bowels of cereal of all brown did the trick. :)

    Sorry you are in pain! I highly suspect it's the fibre! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, I'm thinking its the fiber. I know I shouldn't eat it, but I love Fiber One's Caramel Delight and I feel just like you do after having too much.

    It's fine to know you're limits on the adoption front. I think I AM SO WEAK because I cannot even consider adoption. It's not the non-biological child at all, its the whole process (approval, waiting for the call, potential failed adoptions) that I think I wouldn't be able to handle. So take comfort in the fact that, at least for now, you are way stronger than I am.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That IS a lot of fiber! I always heard that fiber without water is like concrete...so you have to up your water intake to match fiber. Drink up!! :)

    ReplyDelete