My peak +12 results are in and are as follows:
Progesterone: 11.38
Estradiol: 297
They dropped from peak +9's levels of 20.38 for progesterone and 558 for estradiol, but as far as I know that still seems pretty high for peak +12. Especially for someone who usually starts a new cycle on peak +12.
They did drop though, which probably means this cycle's a bust. Oh, and the two negative pregnancy tests I took this morning could be evidence of that as well.
So I planned to test today just because I have the tests, so why not? This luteal phase has also felt very different from any other I've experienced - sore bbs, back ache, extra bloating, head ache, twinges in the lower pelvic region - not that what I experienced were necessarily early pregnancy symptoms, but it was just different. Plus I just haven't had the normal pms feeling, the feeling when you can no longer deny a new cycle is starting.
I woke and tested with my first-morning urine, using a cheap plus-or-minus test. I know, due to my past experience with this type of test, I should steer clear. But is it wrong that I actually want to be able to stare longingly at it under a bright light, trying to determine if I really see something? That is just not possible with those clear-cut "pregnant/not pregnant" tests. They're so definitive. I want to determine if there's a faint line, thank you very much.
As soon as the lines started to form, I could see a faint vertical line, which would mean a positive. Honestly, looking back, I wasn't even surprised. I guess I actually kind of expected it to be positive for some reason! So since I know those tests aren't the most accurate, and not wanting to waste my first-morning pee, I immediately grabbed one of the digital tests.
That one was a definitive "not pregnant." And by the time that one was finished, I looked back at the first one to see no trace of a second line. Nothing. In fact the minus sign was quickly fading.
The digital test was an early response test, so I highly doubt there is still any lingering hope. I haven't started to have any sign of spotting yet though, so I'm pretty sure today won't be cycle day one. My temp was still up this morning too, but mine usually doesn't drop until cycle day two.
I still have all the same feelings - back ache, sore bbs - and no real pms symptoms, other than my legs feel kind of funny which is my tried and true sign that my period is coming (although not knowing what actually causes that, I have often wondered if I'd feel that on a cycle I conceived as well).
I have an appointment with Dr. L on Friday morning. It's the one where you guess a month in advance when cycle day 1-2 will be. It'll probably end up being right on the money. I'm going to see what she thinks about my levels appearing so great, yet still no pregnancy. I have a feeling she's going to think it's wonderful and that it means things are working. That may be true, but I have heard that for so long now. Is it really working if it's not resulting in a pregnancy?
I do have to remember, though, that it's not like I have been diagnosed as unexplained infertility. I have had multiple reasons why I haven't conceived and we've slowly chipped away at them. We thought I was fine for several months at the end of 2008 and for most of 2009, but unbeknownst to us, I was slowly growing an endometrioma. I have to believe the presence of endometriosis somehow reduced my fertility during that time. So now, for potentially the first time ever, everything seems to be working fine. I am even responding well to the hydrocortisone - I no longer feel fatigued or dizzy upon standing.
I can't lose hope and I can't grow tired. On paper five years may seem like a long time, but there's a good chance I only recently restored my fertility, if that. Maybe there's something else still standing in the way. I long for God to grow our family however He wills. It may be through adoption, but why not try a few cycles with a trigger shot while we wait? It's ultimately all up to Him.
Surprisingly, I have a good attitude today, and I don't credit my own spiritual enlightenment with my ability to "handle" today's news. I personally think it's evidence that my progesterone still hasn't dropped. I usually can tell the second that happens, and it's not pretty.
I also went to confession last night with a priest conducting a mission at our parish, and he had great things to say to me in the confessional about the struggle of infertility. I'll hopefully share more on that later, but I wanted to leave you with a Scripture passage he recommended I read:
Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I do my share on behalf of His body, which is the church, in filling up what is lacking in Christ's afflictions. (Col. 1:24)
There can be joy in suffering. It's just easier to have when your progesterone is slightly elevated.
Wednesday, October 14, 2009
More results
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I hate the digital early tests, they did not work for me until i was way late on my period! i like the ones from the dollar store, but they look so cheap don't they.
ReplyDeleteYou are so strong you have gone through so much and you keep on trying, that's a lot,most people would of given up on having a baby long ago, which is so sad, but not you!! Stay strong. I hope you get your answers real soon.
p.s. i still give you credit for helping me get pregnant last year. You introduced me to the low gi diet, i lost weight and finally ovulated on my own, with out the help of drugs and then i got pregnant.
Thanks, Becky.. that's sweet of you. I don't know if I ever congratulated you on the birth of Nicholas, so congrats! That's long overdue, but I've been reading your blog and he is gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteOh, sad! I have been obsessively refreshing your blog all day hoping for another high progesterone number. I'm sorry!
ReplyDeleteBut I love your post! I found out about my own dropping progesterone (and thus no pregnancy) today too I'm on the progesterone crash and have been crying all day. fun!
But I do think you have reason to be hopeful --there are a lot of things you have figured out in the past several months and a lot of health improvements made! I hope Dr. L has something interesting to impart on Friday about your estradiol and progesterone numbers.
Ha! Loved the last line.
ReplyDeleteI'll be praying for you, K! :)
When you go to Dr. L. I was just reading in my Creighton Intro book, read page 40. I dont' know if your 14 day fertile cm is considered "chronic discharge" but it might be???? It doesn't say what type of mucus you have during what they consider chronic discharge.
ReplyDeleteYou usually start your cycle on P+12? I wouldn't think that is stellar? That only gives you an 11 day luteal phase?
I feel so frustrated for you because I don't think your doctors are really aggressive? It actually pains me to hear the stories about them. I want to shake them!
I am no expert over here but I just think that more needs to be done in your case and you are not getting it..... It doesn't seem that many things have been thrown your way for medical treatment, and at that you have to beg for everything.
Can you contact your practitioner to give you some advice on how to procede or what to ask your Dr?
Remember what FJIEF & TCIE explained while you had your cycle on Tamoxifen and how great it looked of off Tamoxifen?
I realize that this suffering of IF is all glory to God. But so is targeted medical care. We should have better medical care because we have such a bigger handle on your cycles. If not I think we need to demand it or find someone else.
Sorry am I ranting? I dont' want to make you feel like I am ranting! Just venting! :) I really do feel your pain and get frustrated for you. Please don't be mad at me! ;) hahahahaha
Sew - I wouldn't be mad at that! That is actually very helpful advice! I have been thinking about getting an opinion from Dr. St. Maybe I should start looking into that.
ReplyDeleteYes, Please! Go see Dr. S. I think he would wrestle you down napro style! :) hahahaha!
ReplyDeleteFor some reason, I just don't feel like Dr. L follows napro. And I don't think you have to follow napro 100% to be a good napro doctor. I just feel that in my experience, napro has a lot of different techniques. 5 years and just now getting a HCG injection just boggles my mind.
Maybe I am mistaken, but HCG for post peak lp support is benign. It isn't some act of God, I feel that she makes it.
I considered flying out there to see him. He is on my hit list in the event I ever need him. I love what I hear about him!
You can do 4 hours one way in a day. :) It's worth it and then they monitor you over the phone.
Make you appointment ASAP! :) hahahahaha Plus you don't have to ship labs or anything! Good stuff! :)
I'm sorry that the numbers went down, but I'm glad that your LP looks like it's getting longer.
ReplyDeleteI love Sew's rants. Not rants, sorry. I mean venting. Who is this Dr. S?
ReplyDelete(Much as I love our doctors, I do agree they are not particularly aggressive.)