Monday, October 5, 2009

Jesus, I trust in You


"Oh, how pleasing are the hymns flowing from a suffering soul! All heaven delights in such a soul, especially when it is tested by God. It mournfully sings out its longing to Him. Great is its beauty, because it comes from God. The soul walks through the jungle of life, wounded by God's love. With one foot only it touches the ground." (Diary, 114)

On this, St. Faustina's feast day, I am so grateful to God that I was lead to begin reading her diary this year. I can't even describe how much it has helped me to read it in front of the Blessed Sacrament every Wednesday morning. It's as if she is speaking directly to me about suffering. She was real and flawed, yet incredibly strong and virtuous, all at the same time. And she suffered terribly.

I love the passage quoted above: "It mournfully sings out its longing to Him." Is that not perfect for us? It reminds me that it's okay to cry out to God. It's not just okay, but it's described here as singing!

I was just thinking today about how tired I am of taking my petitions to the Lord, of crying out to Him in pain. I sound like a broken record. I'm annoyed listening to myself, so I can imagine God is annoyed with me. I couldn't imagine taking the same request or complaints to my mother or father over and over and over. It'd be silly and annoying!

But God's ways are different. He's not annoyed. He sees the cries of the suffering soul as beautiful music.

No, it doesn't make sense to me at all, but I just have to trust in Him.

"During Holy Mass, I saw the Lord Jesus nailed upon the cross amidst great torments. A soft moan issued from His Heart. After some time, He said, I thirst. I thirst for the salvation of souls. Help Me, My daughter, to save souls. Join your sufferings to My Passion and offer them to the heavenly Father for sinners.

When I see that the burden is beyond my strength, I do not consider or analyze it or probe into it, but I run like a child to the Heart of Jesus and say only one word to Him: "You can do all things." And then I keep silent, because I know that Jesus Himself will intervene in the matter, and as for me, instead of tormenting myself, I use that time to love Him." (Diary, 1032-1033)

7 comments:

  1. I'm glad you saw my fb today. :) I'm in love with St Faustina and I love the quotes you shared! It has inspired me...

    I always think about how my suffering is for my own good. Somehow it is purifying me and making me more like Christ so I can join Him in heaven. And it is doing those things, but in your post Christ tells St Faustina to unite her sufferings with the Cross for the purpose of saving the souls of others, not just her own. So tomorrow that is going to be my goal, especially at Mass, because in my suffering I rarely think of how it can be used for the salvation of other people, but I probably should.

    Gosh, there's always so much to think about-her words are so loaded. To think about how much I "torment myself" instead of just giving it to God and spending my own energy just trying to love Him. That's a whole other reflection for another day!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the first line and the last line struck my heart . . .it will be a good inspiration for me today. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great and inspirational post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should pick up her diary, I love the Divine Mercy. I turn to it any time someone I know is suffering. Last night I prayed it for a friend while she was in the hospital delivering her baby that had passed away at 18 weeks. I didn't even realize it was St. Faustina's feast day.

    You're always in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Her words are beautiful and speak right from the heart.

    I hope to read her diary very soon, it sounds like it speaks right to where I am at right now.

    Thanks so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome quotes. Thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete