Friday, October 9, 2009

Results and repelling

So I called Tep.eyac this morning to ask about my abdominal pain (in particular I asked if there was a chance that it could be ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome), and of course to ask what my peak +7 results were as well. I felt much better this morning, so I decided to go to watch (and videotape) my husband repelling off of a huge 400 ft. high building in downtown Rich.mond.

He did it as part of a fundraiser for the Spec.ial Olym.pics, and he was asked to take part as a member of the media. He wanted me to videotape it, since his station didn't deem it important enough to get video of it themselves. I was glad I was feeling better because I didn't want to miss it, and I knew he really wanted video of it. I did have some pain here and there, but nothing compared to the last two days.

I actually had to get harnessed up myself just to be able to go onto the roof of the building to shoot video. And the camera had to be connected to my harness! I obviously didn't know this was going to be part of my duties, since I wore flip flops. Oh well.

I was on my way up to the roof when who else but Dr. B calls! I couldn't believe it! I haven't talked to him since I was in the hospital.

He said he could tell due to my peak +7 estradiol level that it was not OHSS. He said it would need to be over 1,000 to cause concern, and mine was 555. He actually said that he didn't want to get me excited, but that 555 is a perfect level.

What does that mean? I didn't even know that estradiol could mean anything good or bad! Well, I know that it could be too high or too low, but I didn't know that a certain range could potentially be good news more than any other range. I don't ever even pay attention to my results.

I googled it, of course, and found a study all about estradiol in the luteal phase of IVF cycles, and it determined that in the group with higher levels, pregnancy was more likely to occur (but the description never said any actual amounts, so it didn't really help at all).

I'm not reading too much into it, but I just liked that Dr. B seemed to think that it was good. And I'm sure the good level isn't indicative that I have already conceived or anything, but rather that the conditions are good to conceive. That's all I can hope for.

Oh, and my progesterone was 16 which he also called perfect (mine has been as high as 44, so it's hard for me to get excited over a 16. I'm spoiled).

So anyways, as I'm talking to him, I'm being ushered into an elevator with Ryan to head to the roof. I told Dr. B what I was doing and he couldn't believe it and started singing the Spider.man song!

Long story short, the repel went great, I got my roof shot...


...and Ryan lived. It was very exciting!

Here's a shot of him going down (he's the little speck)...


So it was an exciting day all around. And if anyone has any insight into estradiol levels, please let me know!

11 comments:

  1. oh hell no!!!! That would be SOOOOO scary!! :) Wow, that's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. K, I think that's my hubby's office building! lol. I recognize the view and the Wachovia building nearby. I'll have to ask if he saw anything unusual today! I can just see him in the middle of a conference call, looking out his window only to see a man descending past... Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. B-Mama - That is so funny! It was the Su.n Tru.st building. Is that it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My doctor likes to see the levels over 200! I think once I started getting more hormonally stable my levels got up on the 500's!!! So that is great! I think I got too 675 but I can't be sure. I just remember the number being huge. :) Long comparison from30.

    Looks like you had a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those levels are great! Over 200 pre-ov is the aim. None of those numbers indicate a pregnancy, but just a condition for one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying that you have a little bean! Those numbers sound great to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The numbers sound great. The repelling is so crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK... so it's posts like this one that have me scratching my head, thinking, "Have we actually conceived before??" We've both had those high (30s and 40s) progesterone levels, and high estradiols, too. (990-something my 1st cycle of Clomid, and a few months ago, and I only remember this because it was kinda funny, it was 666!)
    Why else would we have such high levels if we hadn't conceived? (And hadn't hyperstimmed?) WTH is going on??

    You're taking your baby aspirin, right? I am hoping and praying this is your miracle!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You don't know me, but I have been following your blog for a while now and thank God for the consolation it so often brings. My husband and I also carry the cross of infertility. Thank you so much for sharing your journey with us. Know that you will be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. TCIE - No, I'm not on baby aspirin actually. I talked about it with my dr. a while ago, but then the whole surgery thing happened and I forgot about it. I'll have to ask him/her next time (whichever dr. I see).

    ReplyDelete