So I sit down to read the Bible in my new prayer room this evening and, after praying that the Holy Spirit would guide me as I read His Word, I open it to Psalm 127:
Children too are a gift from the LORD, the fruit of the womb, a reward.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children born in one's youth.
Blessed are they whose quivers are full.
Why, out of the entire Bible, did I open it to that passage? Was I supposed to read that?
I've been thinking a lot about it and what comes to mind first is that just because someone is blessed doesn't mean that I'm not blessed. It's like when a parent praises one child, it doesn't mean the other child is worthy of punishment. Those two things don't necessarily go hand in hand.
I get that, but it still confuses me. It might not mean that I'm being punished but, then, what does it mean? Maybe nothing.
I just thought I'd throw that out there. Interesting, too, that I read it right after learning (on Twitter of all places) that there's another abandoned newborn baby near us. Found today, alive, in a paper bag. Why? What is happening in our world that parents can take a living, breathing, crying little tiny baby and place it in a paper bag and leave it who knows where, while some of us are praying nearly 24 hours a day just to be able to care for someone else's baby, let alone conceive one of our own?
I do not stand in judgment. The parent(s) might have been scared, lonely, mentally or physically ill. But I just can't help but wonder what it will take before parents in that situation will know to turn to an adoption agency for help. There are millions of couples who would take that baby in an instant, including Ryan and I, who were, according to Map.quest, exactly four miles away from the location where the baby was found. There is no reason, in this day and age, that a baby should spend a nano-second in a paper bag out in the cold.
In other news, I made an appointment with Dr. Steg.man today. It's for January 28. 2010. Who would've thought back in 2004, when I was a naive bride, that at the start of the next decade I'd still have no children? No one, I'm sure. And that's why God doesn't reveal the future to us - we'd never be able to handle it. I would have absolutely lost my mind if I had been told of my current situation back then. So thank you, God. I really do appreciate that.
Monday, October 19, 2009
Interesting passage
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Check out this website: http://www.projectcuddle.org/rescuefamily.asp
ReplyDeleteSomeone sent it to me on that Adoption Voices website. It is free so we filled out the application. I think you just need a copy of your home study (don't they all?)
A couple of years ago a little girl was abandoned in a stairwell on a cold winter night. I was transfixed by the story. It was early on in our TTC journey, but I was already so frustrated. I will never understand why or how a parent could do that to their child, especially when there are so many of us that want children and can't have them!
ReplyDeleteHey, January 28th is my birthday! I've decided that it's a good omen!
I think that verse can have many meanings, and I have noticed that not every verse means the literal meaning. Maybe you were meant to meditate on that?
ReplyDeleteI am excited about your appt!! WHoo hoo!! BW sleepover!!!
Interesting that you should say that. I think it would be easier IN SOME WAYS and in SOME situations, not all, but in IF for me... I have often prayed, wishing that God would just tell me that I will be waiting until 2012. Then I could grieve for the wait but have hope for a certain future. I could PLAN and LIVE my life without an huge uncertain variable hanging over my head.
ReplyDeleteI am always fascinated by different perspectives. Even within the same basic trial (IF), we all have such distinct experiences and feelings.
That's a beautiful verse, BTW. Sometimes I want to print it as a sticker and put it on certain parents' heads, lol. jk
Wishing you peace
www.aicfollowers.blogspot.com
I am so glad the baby was found alive! How sad and fortunate at the same time.
ReplyDeleteOn a different note, Ann at Building a Nest suggested that I ask for your input/advice on some fabric I chose (for future uses). Would you be kind enough to please take a look at my blog and let me know what you think? Thanks in advance and I love following your blog!
Thankful - Sure! I tried to click on your name but it doesn't lead to anything. What's your blog address?
ReplyDeleteNicole - Oh don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to be told what the future holds.. haha! I always say if I only knew when this would end.. even if it's years from now.. I would feel better. But I think that's because after going through years of infertility, my perspective is different. The person I was five years ago, not yet having endured any of this, probably would have FREAKED to be told it would take this long.
Wow, that is crazy that you opened to that Psalm!! I am officially the WORST at trying to figure out why God directs me to various passages, but I pray that your heart might be open to whatever He has in mind for you!!
ReplyDeleteOh sweetie, I know how you feel. I've felt that way so much of the time I've struggled to conceive, so many times when those around me conceive over and over and I can't. I was glad when the Lord enabled me to let it go. Even letting it go I have no answers. I never had an answer for that scripture. I'm so sorry that you are going through this but I'm sure that the Lord is showing you something Big. Hang in there.
ReplyDeleteI also know what you mean when you hear of these devastating situations. My sil still has little Aiden who is now 14 months old. His mom gets out of prison in January. Who knows what will happen to this beautiful little boy. I just have to pray for him. Maybe thats the reason that the Lord put him in my life, so I can pray for him.
I'm praying for you. My heart breaks with your heart, even though I have hope and I know that even though its been so long for you that means nothing for the future. God can change things in an instant. I still feel your pain.
You've been nominated for an award!
ReplyDeletewww.aicfollowers.blogspot.com
hi, not fundraising, but wanted to pass this on to anyone who wants to help children, perhaps by sponsorship?
ReplyDeletein any case, pls keep these kids in your prayers :)
http://www.active.com/donate/2009Christmas/RoselliforOlga
when you wonder how a mother can leave her child to die, pls know that there are many things going on in such a desperate mother - this not an excuse, but women are not getting the proper care...
ReplyDeletethere are hormonal problems that can do many things to women, can make someone on the edge of stability go over that edge....
pray for these children, it seems so incredibly unfair that this could happen, i always beg the angels and saints and God to protect the most vulnerable
http://www.active.com/donate/2009Christmas/RoselliforOlga
ReplyDeletesorry that link doesn't seem to work well, let me try again, just put it together when you can, delete the spaces
ReplyDeletehttp:// www.active.com/ donate/2009Christmas/ RoselliforOlga
here is an article by dr stegman
ReplyDeletehttp://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache:8JmXmtc8GjIJ:www.richmonddiocese.org/nfp/msgr2007-04.pdf+dr+stegman+virginia+prolife&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
(scroll down to this article)
have you seen his reviews on ratemds.com (the reviews of him, i should say) ? they're good :)
http://www.ratemds.com/doctor-ratings/41124/PA/Camp-Hill/Stegman
here is an article about him
http://www.richmonddiocese.org/nfp/msgr2006-04.pdf
for anyone in the NC area, i wanted to pass this doc's name on
http://www.surgeryu.com/patrick-yeung.php
http://www.dukehealth.mobi/physicians/patrick_p_yeung
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4A4dtyq8wM
There goes deirdre again..... hahahahaha
ReplyDeleteYou're right - that was an interesting passage to immediately open up to. Perhaps it's worth meditating on all week!
ReplyDeleteUgh, so depressing to hear about the abandoned baby. It's just so, so sad.
I noticed that GIMH commented about project cuddle - a friend of mine recently told me about them too! I think they are based in Southern California.
Good for you for making an appointmnet with Dr. S! You never know if you'll need it, but it's good to have.
AYWH - Thankful is at:
ReplyDeletehttp://alwaysgivingthanks.blogspot.com/
It's great that you made an appointment with Dr. S. That's a lovely verse, and like you said just because we don't have the blessing of children doesn't mean we aren't blessed at all.
ReplyDeleteOK, Jan 28th is on my calendar, and whether E knows it or not (or likes it or not!) I am crashing the BW sleepover, hahaha!!
ReplyDeleteI'm really excited for this appt for you.
I cannot understand why so many people treat babies (born or unborn) the way they do.
Oh, and I hate that Bible passage. It's the reward part that kills me... like, those who get pg are rewarded for something GOOD that they did. Even if that were the truth, and all those people WERE being rewarded, it makes me feel like, Hey! What more do I have to do here to get MY reward?!?!
I like calling children a gift MUCH better.
Oh, and one of those reviews on RateMyMD.com is mine!!! Lmao!!
ReplyDeleteThe one that starts "If you have the chance to see Dr. Steg.man..."
I wrote that exactly 12 days after my ovarian wedge resection and lap, haha!!