Sunday, August 10, 2008

Weird cycle

I'm so excited I've been tagged by Beth and This Cross I Embrace! I was just beginning to think the blogging community had given up on memes (at least my corner of the blogging world). And that would have been sad because I love them!

I will do them later today, but first I wanted to post what is going on with my VERY WEIRD cycle, even though it's Sunday and no one checks blogs on Sunday.

So this current cycle is reminiscent of my old, screwy cycles. Before my surgeries my cycles were all over the place, but lately (after lowering my prolactin, starting my diet and metformin) it seemed like my cycles were normalizing. For three months in a row I had eight or nine days of mucus followed by twelve dry days.

This cycle was so very, very different. First, I never had any dry days after my period ended; I went right into days of mucus. The mucus lasted for seven days, and was actually pretty normal. Then, on cycle day 16, I had a dry day. CD 17, though, was a mucus day, followed by cd 18 being a dry day. 19 was mucus, 20 was dry. Taking a little departure from the pattern, 21 was dry, 22 was mucus, and 23 was dry (and when I say mucus, all the mucus I saw in the past week was peak-type mucus, although technically they probably would get yellow stickers. Frankly, though, I am so over learning when to use yellow stickers).

So that brings us to today, cd 24. Well, believe it or not, today I am spotting. It's not a total surprise, since I did feel some pms symptoms a few days ago (which I thought was very early and very strange at the time), but early nonetheless. It's eight days past my first peak, and six days past my second peak.

Other odd symptoms of note - I have been super tired lately, even falling asleep during the day two days ago (something I never do) and I'll probably nap today as well. I also felt really nauseous last night (and it's not from the met because I've been fine with that for the last two weeks now).

So, who knows what it is. The thing that could depress me (if not for my recent good outlook of course) is that things had been looking more normal since May. Now, my cycle is just as screwy as it always has been. And this happens the same cycle I raise my dose of met? It's not what I expected at all.

I am really starting to think met isn't going to fix my problems. I think they are too severe. But why did it seem to work at first? I may never know.

I know it is in God's hands, and I'm doing everything I can. I sometimes feel like God is stripping me of all happiness, of all positive developments, so that I may completely rely on Him (or that He gave the the grace of feeling peaceful this cycle because He knew bad news was coming). I will continue to rely on Him, because there is no other option.

Sorry to be all gloom and doom. I guess my cycle could just as easily be back to normal next month (and no, I didn't have any extra stress this month. My husband did have back surgery, but I wouldn't say that caused any more stress than normal). Let's hope. I just pray that my body can respond to the medication and the diet. I pray that this cycle was a fluke, and things will normalize next month.

We're heading up north tonight at 12:30 (a.m., that is) when my husband gets off of work. Please say a prayer for our safe travels if you get a chance!

14 comments:

  1. Was CD 17's mucus like your normal Peak type mucus? Whenever I get post-Peak peak type mucus, it's always substantially "different" than my normal obvious fertile mucus. And aside from the spotting, the pattern of mucus and dry days post-Peak is not all that weird... and is managed with yellow stamps, as you said. (If you're confident that you're past Peak, you can use YS on all those other mucus days, that's the simplest explanation for post-Peak YS.)
    As for the spotting, I am surprised by that, too. With 7 days of good mucus pre-Peak, I would have thought your estradiol levels were great, and then that your progesterone levels would be great in the post-Peak. Of course, there IS always another reason for spotting 7-12 days after Peak, but I won't mention that ;) Keep me posted, I'm interested!
    And don't be jealous, because as soon as I posted about my post-Peak being normal, I got peak-type mucus today. Clear, Stretchy, Lubricative... and just BARELY gummy (but not as globby as in past cycles). So idk what's going on with me. I think I'm going to ask the Dr. to use a hyfrecator (sp?) on my cervix, because I think maybe I have a cervical inflammation. Frankly, I'm TIRED of YS, I'd like some green ones, please! We'll see what she says about it.
    Sorry for the long comment. Just remember what you said about how you think your cycle will be in the cycle you conceive ("weird") :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I ask, when you're pregnant, what are the signs? I've read that spotting is sometimes a sign, but that might be wrong. I learned charting some years ago, but since I'm not married, I don't worry about it too much these days.

    I hope you get a chance to read my posts from yesterday.

    Stress can mess your cycles up, I believe. Mine have almost always been so regular (with endo, you kind of wish they wouldn't be!). Do you do any kind of exercise? My theory about this kind of stuff (having a huge family with tons of cousins) is that your life needs to be as regular and relaxing as it can be. Not boring, not vapid, but alive, and relaxed. It's hard to say this to someone I don't know, and in a forum, but think about all the women who get pregnant and don't worry about their cycles. This is not to tell you what to do, but to offer a suggestion that worrying about all the symptoms of pregnancy isn't easy...

    I have to be careful with diets, because the minute I start one, I obsess about food in a way I didn't the day before!

    I know it feels like your endo problems are so bad, but on a lot of endo boards, the women's problem are shocking. I met a woman last year, and she told me about her ''miracle niece.'' This woman's sister had endo, and when she didn't expect to have children, all of a sudden she did! It happens again and again, we all know the stories, we've heard them...When I was growing up, a friend was so obviously of a different nationality than another one, people didn't talk about adoption though then. Her mother and father adopted her, and then went on to have four more children, all of the parents' nationality, of course. The mother continues to have a devotion to St Gerard.

    One more quick story. I saw a mother and baby one time, and thought how great mom looked for being post-pregnant. It turned out that she had adopted the baby from a 16 year old who saw the movie ''Silent Scream'' and said, ''I can't do that to my baby.''

    God has a plan, He's not stripping you. He's working in you, and helping you.

    Sorry if I seem too strong, but I have gone through so much, and believe in miracles so strongly. I have heard so many powerful stories, your life is really just beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to say I too read blogs on Sundays. :-)

    I hear you about the bizarre cycles. My mucus patterns have been off the wall the last three cycles, while to any normal doctor my cycles would appear within normal parameters. It's terribly frustrating, isn't it?!

    I just wanted to let you know that I'm praying for you and that I hope you and hubby have a great trip north! How long is this trip supposed to be?

    oh yeah, this is Andrea. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read blogs on Sundays, too!
    Just wanted to say that I of course am getting my hopes up for you this cycle (STILL) since I think you have pregnancy symptoms.

    And do you know HOW HAPPY AND THRILLED I WOULD BE FOR YOU IF THAT HAPPENED?!
    I might just have to drive up there and give you a great big hug -- even though we've never met before in person -- but I don't think I'd be able to contain my happiness for you without doing so!
    (don't worry I'm not a stalker and would call you first:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. TCIE - CD 17 was 10 C/KL x2, so yes it was like the rest of my normal peak-type mucus (actually cd 12 was the best quality - 10 KL x3, not that it matters).

    Deirdre - Thanks for your comments. I do appreciate the success stories. As for exercise, yes I exercise every day (with a day off here and there) and I'm on the low GI diet, at my dr's recommendation. As for stress, I used to be highly stressed but I am not anymore (although it is nearly impossible for a women dealing with infertility to have no stress). My husband and I took drastic measures to reduce my stress, namely moving (it was part of the reason we moved) and me not getting a job in our new location (I work for myself, when I want. Can't get any less stressful than that!). As for the endo, I had pretty severe endo, but it has been removed. PCOS is now my main problem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andrea - We'll be home early Saturday. We're always back in town in time for R. to work weekends!

    Lifehopes - I would NEVER think you were a stalker! Wouldn't that be so much fun?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me, too--I read on Sundays most of the time!

    Yellow stamps are kind of a drag, aren't they? I hope that things "normalize" more for you soon! And have a safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonder if it could just be breakthrough bleeding?? Sorry I'm not much help!

    Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd LOVE to hear from other women with endometriosis especially those who were able to concieve.

    Endo message boards? Please? Where are they? Could someone please be so kind as to send me the link?

    My email is: prayrosary4life@aol.com

    http://hailmaryfullofgrace-mt.blogspot.com/

    Thank you so much!

    May God Bless you.

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really don't want to get your hopes up, but I think you should try a pregnancy test.

    I'm praying for you!

    http://hailmaryfullofgrace-mt.blogspot.com/

    <---thinks your documentary is great and would LOVE to see it sometime

    http://hailmaryfullofgrace-mt.blogspot.com/

    Love,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  11. have a wonderful trip...
    can't wait to hear about it.
    praying for yoU!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, I posted on PCOS, since I too have issues with that. When my sister was pregnant, I think she was very fortunate to stop working in her high stress Manhattan job. I think stress does all kinds of things to a woman's body. What I had meant to say was that the only times my period has been off has been the days of extreme crazy stress. It's also made my endo worse at times.

    I think Napro is wonderful for women, but when I was doing it, I thought it would have made me crazy as a woman trying to achieve pregnancy.

    By the way, I think the doctor you saw in NJ is Dr Jean Golden-Tevald (I might have mixed up her name). I hope to see her myself.

    Oh, Maria, I just caught your post! I'll send you some info. I looked into having surgery with both Dr Hilgers and Dr Stegman (well, with one or the other). I didn't have the time to do all the charting, and for me it worked out. I had terrible adhesions, and still had endo from a previous surgery. I think if I had waited, I would have lost organs...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Marie Therese, I have read some of your blog, and hope it's ok to post here, and then will pop back over there. I have had endo for almost all of my life (started having pains around 14 or ), and I believe you are born with it. I do not believe endo can be ''treated'' with progesterone. I have taken progesterone for 6 years and love it. It stopped my migraines. It helped lessen some of my heavy bleeding. I wish I had known about it when I was a teen, because I had PMDD (when no one talked about it). It's helped with that. It did not cure my endo. I had to have surgery last year (wish I had had that before), and it was removed from my bladder, my colon, and so many other places. My colon had uterus had become adhered together, along with other adhesions, because of a previous fibroid surgery. I wish I had used progesterone earlier, because I belive it would have shrunk the fibroid so much earlier.

    Please know that all this talk about women not getting pregnant past a certain year is crazy. Is it harder? Probably. But women have been getting pregnant at all ages for years. If you are in your 40's, and don't want the chance of getting pregant, I best most secular ob/gyns would recomment the pill for their patients. One of my friend's moms when we were in college was on the pill for this reason! And she was definitely in her mid40's. YET, these same ob/gyns will tell you that you need their help, or a ''fertility expert's'' help to achieve pregnancy at the same age. It's crazy and the deck is stacked against so many women if they go that route.

    Not to be crass, but look at the woman who is involved with this scandal with John Edwards! She is just about 42 or so.

    Work with your NFP, but be sure to get your records to someone like Dr Hilgers, who knows women have the desire to have children. Who does not see children as the ''commodity'' that so many other doctors sadly do. Surgery might be the answer for you.

    I absolutely know of one woman who was told she could not have children because of her endometriosis. She went on to become pregnant less than a month after her surgery. Yes, she was younger, and that helps.

    I know of so many miracles in so many ways. People who are ''told'' by doctors that they have two years to live because of their cancer, and yet are alive years later.

    Fertility is no different. God is great, amazing, and generous and kind. Celebrate Him as you do, thank Him for the burdens and crosses. Your site is inspiring me to return to the Rosary, which I used to also say every day. We are beacons of goodness and how struggling helps glorfiy Him. I have told doctors I use natural progesterone and in their pill-obsessed worlds, they don't understand it.

    This is an inspiring site, http://www.mothersover40.com/

    There is a long history in Ireland of women being mothers over 40. And look at the mothers in their 40's who have been in the news recently because of their 15th or 16th baby!!!

    Do your best to be in your best health, and let God help you. I try to offer my sufferings up for the unborn. How many children desire to be born, and how many mothers desire to be connected to those children?

    Sorry for going on. I get very emotional when I read these things, because it's hard enough to go through these things, let alone in the field of medicine where everyone is SO secularly-oriented. I get very sad in obg/gyns' offices when I see all the ads for the pill. They prescribe it to girls at such a young age!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Has PPXI ever told you to get on acidolpholus? I was on it for the first 2 years of charting and it really helped. It gets rid of the "fake" mucus days. If they haven't ask on your next consult. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete