For most of my life, I knew I was going to have twin girls. I was sure of it. There was nothing you could have said to change my mind.
I'm honestly not sure where this started, whether I dreamed it as a child, felt it come to me while in prayer, or whether some weird spirit game we played in junior high "revealed" it to me (did you do this too, or was it just in my messed-up small town? Pretty scary, now that I think about it). All I know is that I've been sure of it since I was a child. I even had their names picked out.. several different times. If you knew me, you knew that I knew I would have twin girls. Yes, I was pretty vocal about it because, mainly, I constantly talked about being a mother. Go figure.
Anyways, this "feeling" has obviously dissipated since the onset of my infertility, to say the least. It actually now seems silly, naive, a reminder of the innocent me back when I believed first came se.x, then came babies. I resent that person. Twins? Two babies? It just seems so ridiculous.
Well, for some reason, my twin girls came to mind today. Not because I suddenly have some feeling I'm going to have twins, but because it occured to me, out of the blue, that maybe, just maybe, I can attempt to muster up that same sort of confidence again. After all, doesn't God want us to approach our faith like little children? Little, innocent children who think that they're going to have twin girls.
This feeling happens to come at a time when I am feeling a great sense of peace about infertility. Because I am what I would consider an infertility veteran at this point, I am well aware that this feeling could be gone tomorrow. You never know. But I've come to appreciate any moments of peace, understanding, joy, trust, or patience that God gives me.
I'm pretty tired so this might not make much sense, but lately I've had this feeling that the experience of infertility is actually a calling. Now, I know that this is a concept explored by many before. I, myself, have written about it. But the difference now is that the feeling isn't coming from my head, but rather from my heart. I'm not wishing I could feel this way, I actually do feel this way. I'm not sure how to explain it, other than to say that lately I have felt like infertility could actually be looked at as a positive thing; like that God has chosen me for it and is allowing me to experience this and feel this way. If I look at it from that perspective, I should feel blessed that I have been picked by God to experience something that requires me to drastically change my way of thinking. He knows better than me, of course, and through this time of loss I am forced to re-examine my life and follow Him much more closely. It's safe to say I'd be a very different person if not for infertility.
I also have begun to feel more and more like God's plan for me might actually be better than I could have imagined. Now, I'm sure I'll have many down times in the coming months when this concept might not sit as well with me (it's best to be realistic about these things). But for the time being, I choose to trust in Him.
I'd like to think this new sense of peace is a grace from God. I believe He is allowing me to see things differently and to have greater insight (honestly, I did recently pray for greater understanding. I forgot I prayed for that until right now. Funny how that happens!). For some reason, God decided to bless me in this way at this point in my journey. Why? I'm not sure. Just add it to the list of mysteries.
This is not to say that I'm suddenly fine with my barreness. Not at all. I still have moments of weakness when I feel jealousy, or question God. But the noticeable difference comes when I'm all alone. When I'm alone and I'm left to my own thoughts, that's when I would normally enter into despair. Instead, I now feel a sense of peace about it in those moments. I feel like I can wait. And I am starting to get the feeling that I should have more than hope - more like confidence - that I'll have a biological child, much like I use to think about having my twin girls. I'd like to think God is putting this on my heart because He is preparing me for a pregnancy, but I'm not going to assume. I'm going to take each day as it comes and try to please God as much as I can no matter what happens.
Friday, August 8, 2008
God's grace
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
thanks be to God for the grace He is offering and for the grace you are receiving.
ReplyDeletep.s. congrats on the weight loss!
How beautiful! Thanks for the inspiring words (as always).
ReplyDeleteThat's such a profound place to be in! What a beautiful post.
ReplyDeleteThat is such a wonderful place to be...in God's grace. I pray that you continue to have God's grace and confidence in seeing those twin girls soon. Thanks for sharing such an inspiring post with us.
ReplyDeleteI tagged you :)
ReplyDeleteCan I ask, since I am coming at this late moment, have you had surgery for endo? That's one reason I came across this site...
ReplyDeleteCan you direct me to where on the blog this info is?
Also, have you heard of Dr Mark Stegman, in Camp Hill, PA? Napro doc?
Can I ask, since I am coming at this late moment, have you had surgery for endo? That's one reason I came across this site...
ReplyDeleteCan you direct me to where on the blog this info is?
Also, have you heard of Dr Mark Stegman, in Camp Hill, PA? Napro doc?
This is the article I was thinking of, I think it's on the first and last pages. Dr Mark Stegman is mentioned
ReplyDeletehttp://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:uEDSCeTMMpwJ:www.richmonddiocese.org/nfp/msgr2006-04.pdf+misty+mealeys+stegman&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us
OK, I found your timeline :) So you went to the great Dr Hilgers! Did you have pain with your endo?
ReplyDeleteCan I ask what doctor you saw in NJ? I live in NJ...
I've had surgery twice for endo, with top doctors...I use progesterone, for the low progesterone....take thyroid also (Armour)....not married, so not looking to get pregnant now, but have tried to hold on to fertility, and prayed! In the course of that, I've read lots of info on fertility...Have you tried acupuncture? I have a great book on it, and several others..
You probably have heard of the PCOS diet and supplements,
http://www.ovarian-cysts-pcos.com/supplements.html
Sorry to post again so soon! But I have been reading your posts, especially around your surgery last year...It's a tough thing to go through. Can I offer a suggestion? Have you ever considered striking the words ''infertility'' and ''barreness'' from your vocabulary? Not critcizing, but those words make me so sad :( They must make you sad. You're really very young. I know of a family that did not have children for the first several years of their marriage. They prayed to St Gerard and went on to have 8 children! This is very true...
ReplyDeleteMy own mother went through a few trials...I know so many stories...I'm one of five...Please have faith and don't feel bad.
Have you read the studies on women who have wine and end up pregnant?! I'm not saying you should do this, but there is some value to being relaxed...
I am going to try to get a copy of the article a local priest wrote about his sister's ''infertility.'' They went on to adopt 4 children. It is SO beautiful.
You are right not to think of or choose IVF. It is a terrible field, and puts women through torture. They don't even often work! If you love babies, I don't see how women can allow so much terrible stuff to happen in their quest for a child.
God is calling you on a path, and has a plan for you. You are a strong person who needs to enjoy your life :) You really are very young, although it might not feel that way all the time. A friend of the family didn't marry until 32, and went on to have 5 children. And that was in the days when women married much earlier! Mary Higgins Clark mother didn't have her until she was 40 I think. I know you don't want to wait that long, nor will you.
Here are some fascinating books, but don't read them as military manuals. Read them as the fun part of life. Remember, you have a cute, loving, kind and faithful husband. Many gals your age are looking for that, and despair of having that.
http://www.thyroid-info.com/
see 1/2 way down the page, where she mentions thyroid and hormones
http://www.amazon.com/Fertility-Cycles-Nutrition-Marilyn-Shannon/dp/0926412094
http://www.howtomakeafamily.com/services/fc/nutri.htm
Fertility, Cycles and Nutrition : Can What You Eat Affect Your Menstrual Cycles and Your Fertility?
by Marilyn M. Shannon
Paperback - 2nd ed
What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Getting Pregnant : Boost Your Fertility with the Best of Traditional and Alternative Therapies
by Raymond Chang, Elena Oumano, Elena Oumano (With)
Paperback
The Fertility Diet : Groundbreaking Research Reveals Natural Ways to Boost Ovulation and Improve Your Chances of Getting Pregnant
by Walter Willett, Walter C. Willett, Patrick J. Skerrett
The Infertility Cure : The Ancient Chinese Wellness Program for Getting Pregnant and Having Healthy Babies
by Randine A. Lewis, Randine Lewis
Paperback - Reprint
By the way, I went to a ''healing Mass'' years ago (all Masses are healing :) ) and I saw a woman go up for a blessing. She was crying later after the Mass, and knowing she was married, I figured it was related to fertility. I saw her a year later with twin infants :) And I know she didn't do IVF. And she was a bit older than you.
Think of yourself as a loving FERTILE woman, with much to share and give.
As a woman with a history of endo, you might want to eat as much organic food as possible, lots of veggies and fruits, fish oil, flax seeds, pure water, fish and chicken with no hormones or antibiotics, complex carbs, good fats and cut out the bad fats.
If you're already doing that, God sees and loves you and your husband. I love the St Gerard's prayer, I have given it to sisters and sisters-in-law.
Two other quick links I meant to include (you asked about the topic the second one refers to):
ReplyDeletehttp://www.newsmax.com/health/infertility_low_fat_dairy/2007/09/14/32639.html
http://www.newsmax.com/health/conceive_avoid_meds/2007/10/16/41237.html
i'm sorry, those links didn't go fully through
ReplyDeletehttp://www.newsmax.com/health/infertility_low_fat_dairy/2007/09/14/32639.html
http://www.newsmax.com/health/conceive_avoid_meds/2007/10/16/41237.html
I retyped each, I hope they work!
Thank you, once again, for inspiring me and giving me some peace. God bless!
ReplyDelete