I've been meaning to write this post for a couple weeks now. It's just that what I'm about to write is so important to my infertility experience that I wanted to give it its due, and each time I sat down to write it I was either too busy, or there was too much going on around me, or I just wasn't in the right frame of mind. And, as with many experiences, I needed to capture it while it was still fresh or I might begin to question its importance or doubt its authenticity. I have already begun to do that to some degree.
Okay. Now that you're hopes are officially raised... (Seriously, don't get your hopes up. Forget I gave it any introduction or that I teased it all week. I'm just about to write a random post that you happened to come upon.)
So let's go back a little bit to early August (I'm going to tell this story in the timeline I experienced it). I was getting ready to travel up north for the big premiere, when I got a phone call from Betty, the woman helping to organize the event. She's the coordinator of the perpetual adoration chapel featured in the movie. At the end of our phone call, she said she was praying for me to have a child (as always) and was talking about how maybe God will bless me with that now that the movie's done, but maybe He won't. Then she asked me what my production company, Es.therJa.ne Productions is named after. I told her it was for my grandmother, Esther, who died when I was seven (we were super close and it seriously took me like 15 years to get over it and greatly affected my childhood). Then Betty said, out of the blue, "You know, you should pray to your grandmother. She's part of the communion of Saints and we don't utilize that enough." Well, that's all I needed. It's safe to say I took that as a sign that I was supposed to pray to her. I can just imagine her up there looking down on me, watching me go through this struggle with infertility. It must be breaking her heart, if that can even happen in Heaven.
I asked my grandmother for her intercession that night, and the next. Then a couple days later as we're driving up north, I mentioned Betty's remark to my husband, Ry.an, and told him that I'd prayed to my grandmother. He asked, "Didn't your mother have a dream about your grandmother and you and a baby, or something?" I answered, "That sounds oddly familiar, but if she did, how in the world would I have possibly forgotten something like that?" I mean, seriously, I'm seeing talking babies, yet I erase from my mind a dream involving me, my deceased grandmother, and a baby?
[I should also add that my mother and her mother (not Esther) have both had dreams involving deceased relatives throughout their lives. It's not something they talk about at all, and it doesn't happen very frequently. She's even had a few about Esther, including one in the days after her death that my mother isn't even sure was a dream. She saw her standing in her bedroom, clear as day. The other few were definitely dreams, but extremely vivid nonetheless. We'll get back to that later.]
So fast forward to the night of the premiere, after the movie is finished, as people are leaving. As I'm standing with one of my good friends (who also happens to be featured in the film) she mentioned to me that she'd been praying for me, which is not surprising in and of itself, but as she put it, "I have no idea why, but I've been praying for you to the Infant of Prague." A light bulb immediately went off in my brain and I probably sounded like an idiot because my reply was, "Uh, um, that sounds familiar. There's something about that...I need to ask someone..." My mind was doing cartwheels as I was trying to put it all together. My grandmother. The dream. The Infant of Prague.
Because that night was one of the craziest nights of my life, I wasn't able to speak to my mother about this. Meanwhile, in the back of my mind, I was worrying that it wasn't the Infant who was in her dream, that it was some other saint or image of Christ. As soon as I woke up the next morning, though, I asked her about it over the phone as she was at work.
"Mom, this might sound weird, but did you have a dream about _____ [name I called my grandmother, Esther, which is very far from Grandma or Granny or Nanny, so I'm gonna leave it out. Think baby's-first-words-but-unfortunately-not-directed-towards-her-father-like-they-should-have-been], a baby and the Infant of Prague?"
Yes, she did, she said. It was probably about a year and a half ago, and she told me about it at the time, but I still have NO IDEA how this slipped my mind (one a side-note, my sister thinks I wasn't supposed to remember it then, and that it was meant for now). She also said that at the time she wasn't worrying about my infertility at all. Here's the dream:
My mother sees me lying in bed in my childhood bedroom, as a child, and an Infant of Prague statue is over my bed (I should also add that I didn't have a statue over my bed as a child; my family didn't even own one). For some reason, she has a hard time describing what the statue was on or in - a shelf of some sort, but then she says it was in some sort of frame, yet it was a statue, not a picture. Probably not important, but you never know.
Cut to the next 'scene,' and I'm an adult, holding a baby. As my mother looks at me, surprised, my grandmother appears. "Don't worry," she says to my mother. "It's the Infant of Prague."
She said my grandmother went on to say that the Polish people have a devotion to him (my grandmother was 100% Polish, and while I haven't found a great deal on the internet about the Polish devotion to the Infant, I know that it is true because I have other, unrelated, Polish relatives who also have a devotion. And while the Infant of Prague is obviously in Prague, in the Czech Republic, the country still borders Poland).
I couldn't believe it. It was all starting to come together. A few things became very clear to me that morning, namely, 1) God himself wants me to have a devotion to the Infant of Prague, 2) my grandmother is definitely watching over me and taking care of me, specifically when it comes to infertility, and 3) she said "Don't worry." Don't worry! I seriously take that to mean that everything WILL turn out okay. And let's just add that I was holding a baby when she said it.
Was I holding the Infant Jesus? I'm not sure, but probably. Was I holding my future baby? I don't think so. One way you could interpret it would be to say that it means I won't have a baby of my own, but I will always have baby Jesus to hold. While I'm ever the pessimist (no offense, baby Jesus, at all), I just don't think that's what it means. And surprisingly, this isn't the first time someone has had an image of me holding Christ as a baby.
So back to the story. The next day, I'm online looking for an Infant of Prague statue, when I suddenly notice its feast day. January 2nd. My birthday. And St. Therese's birthday, who also happened to have a devotion to Him. I shrieked. I couldn't believe it; it was another sign. (I should also add that since that initial discovery, I have realized that there is quite the discrepancy over the Infant's feast day. Some put it in May, others put it in late January. But I'm fine with that, because my birthday is still in the mix. I don't think that's a coincidence.)
It's safe to say that I immediately jumped head first into a devotion to the Infant of Prague. I know God wants me to. I'm still looking for just the right statue, and someone told me the other day that it has to be given to you. That might be more of an old-wives-tale sort of thing, but as I continue to scour the internet, I am praying that the right statue will find me. We are more than half way through a novena which I plan on saying each month. And we even visited an Infant of Prague shrine about an hour away this past Saturday. We both described feeling very calm and serene as we prayed before the Infant in the quite loud church (Mass was letting out).
I truly believe that God was giving me a grace with this glimpse into Him, and perhaps it was no coincidence that he did it on the night of my premiere. I'm not saying I deserved a reward or that God even works like that, but this has been a hard-fought battle and I'm just starting to turn a corner and I think God likes that. I prayed - hard - for a sign, all while asking His forgiveness that I needed a sign in the first place. I shouldn't. But He knows we are human and He sees us struggle. He knows when our intentions are pure and we are not attempting to prove His existence, just get some much-needed help along the way as we bear our Cross.
In the weeks following this turn of events, my mind, naturally, has begun to downplay it. Even as I write this post I'm worried some may read it and think I'm looking too far into a silly dream and some additional coincidences. I can't let that doubt creep in. (And, for what it's worth, there are documented miracles attributed to the Infant that involve dreams.)
As all of these events were happening, my view of this struggle of infertility completely changed. I was holding a baby, my grandmother told my mother, "DON'T WORRY." This message makes me realize I can do this, I can get through this. God, Himself, wants me to be strong. He was in my arms in the form of a baby, what I want most in this world.
I have felt much more peace in the days since, and I truly have the utmost confidence that the Miraculous Infant is taking care of me and doing His best to grant me my heart's desire. This was all a gift from God, and to now downplay it would be to make light of a gift that I prayed for from Him. Thanks, God. That was a pretty good try, but could you be even more obvious next time? Maybe come to me in a crowded shopping mall and publicly declare the day I will conceive? Oh, and I'll also take an order of financial security and health for my entire family with that. Thanks.
I'll probably need to reflect on this in additional posts, but this is the main story for now. Thanks for reading, and feel free to offer any insights you may have on it as well. There's definitely a lot for me to think about!
To quote Peter Kreeft: "In a providential universe, nothing happens by chance."
ReplyDeleteIn your honesty and need, you asked God fervently for a sign, and it seems to me that He whispered it to you just loud enough for you to hear -- you're right, no sign in the heavens or loudspeaker at the mall, but in the free suggestions of others, in the mystery of dreams and even in the liturgical calendar.
Often I can now look back at major decisions or turning points and see those small little signs (usually so small I didn't notice them). Or even in simpler things: randomly thinking of St. Ann and Joachim and desiring to pray to them, only to find out that its nine days from their feast and the perfect time for a novena. Those kinds of thoughts, to the believing Christian, are not random. They are the life of Jesus Christ in us and flowing in our minds.
And okay, even at the very worst...you have an fairly incredible set of coincidences that is leading you into deeper prayer with the Lord -- into trust and abandonment. But isn't that where it gives itself away?
Especially because of that, I don't think it's chance. God's hands are in everything, especially in times of struggle.
Rock on and pour our your prayers to the Infant!
PETER KREEFT! That's the author I've been trying to remember!! He's the one who wrote the book on suffering that I have mentioned to you. A VERY smart man, and the book was excellent. I bought it from the EWTN Catalogue.
ReplyDeleteAs for the dream, and this post... I am speechless. And there are tears in my eyes. Just reading this account of a miracle literally playing out before our eyes is soooo amazing, and I feel privileged to even know you while this is all happening! You are truly, truly a blessed and holy woman. When it comes to God and signs, I DON'T believe in coincidences. (See my post about the flowers from St. Therese.)
About a year ago, my mother dreamt that DH and I met her in the parking lot of our church, and that I was holding a baby girl. I had named it Mary. Not as miraculous of a dream, but I do think that God, AND our loved ones up in heaven, send us messages in dreams. I truly do.
It's also wonderful that you have begun praying to your grandmother. On the anniversary of my grandfather's death in July(he died when I was 5, but everyone spoke of him as a Saint on earth), I began praying to him. I was struggling about it at first, wondering if I should be asking for his intercession at all (since he's not a canonized Saint or anything), but it just felt right, so I know that it is.
May God continue to bless you with these beautiful signs of love from His infant Son. I will also pray to the Infant of Prague for you and Ryan.
Wow!! I have goosebumps all over and tears in my eyes. Thanks for sharing that wonderful mound of HOPE with us. I love seeing how God works...he is like this grand orchestra that flows so effortlessly. Is that even a word or did I just make that up :D I was super close to my grandmother and she passed when I was about 7. My parents said that I saw her often after her death and she would comfort me. I was pretty torn up about her passing. I don't remember any of this, but I truely believe that our loved ones are watching over us!! Can't wait to see what God has planned next for you!!!
ReplyDeleteThis is such a wonderful, beautiful post, K!
ReplyDeleteI will beg the Infant of Prague to be with you now that I know of this growing devotion! God is so good... I believe that He is doing so much in your life.
Keep updating on this!
many prayers!
i honestly believe that there are no coindicidences.
ReplyDeletemy grandmother brought us a statue for our wedding (directly from the philippines!), although he hasn't made the trip from my old bedroom at my parents' house to our place. perhaps i should go move him into our house soon!
This is a great post! I can verify that the Polish do seem to have a devotion to the infant of Prague - my Mom's family is Polish and they have a devotion.
ReplyDeleteI definitely think you got a GREAT sign from God.
Amazing!! There are no coincidences with God.
ReplyDeleteI should introduce myself. I randomly found your blog while googling naprotech. I'm also a catholic girl, struggling with my infertility calling (thus far) and I'm currently trying Naprotech. I've read some of your post randomly and have felt as if though I was reading my own thoughts and to find someone with the same belief and in the same struggle has provided me with much consolation (not because you are struggling but because of how you are carrying your current cross). It has filled me with more faith and hope to continue with my struggle. It has reminded me that my cross does not kill me but that it will bring me closer to God and that it will indeed be a Glorious Cross. I'm don't have a blog and I almost wanted to start one just so that I could be on your friends list. However, I have no patience for a blog I wouldn't even know what to write. This post has inspired me to finally leave a comment since I wasn't sure what to say to you without sounding like a freak. Sometimes I close myself and do not see any signs at all. I'll have to start paying more attention. Thanks for opening yourself up and sharing your experience as it has helped me to have hope and to keep fighting "the good fight of faith!"
Peace of Christ,
eilyn
All I can say is that there are tears in my eyes as I read this post.
ReplyDeleteI have no doubt that God is sending graces to you during this time, and reminding you that He is here with you, not just by your side or in front of you, but IN you. And He loves you so much.
Thanks for your child-like faith and your example. It is only a matter of time until we all see how God's plan is going to unfold in that perfect, beautiful way.
By the way, it just dawned on me that God does things perfectly, but they are usually broken at the same time. Like the beautiful, broken body of Christ. We have to trust it, even though it looks broken, there is power. And redemption. Just like us, we might seem broken, or feel broken, but we have to let God's power operate in that brokenness.
"My grace is sufficient for you ... For my power is made perfect in weakness." - one of my favorite scriptures.
How are you? I just wanted to say hello and let you know that I posted a new post on my blog. I'd love for you to come visit when you have a chance!
ReplyDeletehttp://hailmaryfullofgrace-mt.blogspot.com/
May God Bless you.
Maria
Thanks, everyone, for your sweet comments!
ReplyDeleteEilyn - I just wanted to say hi and thank you for leaving a comment. You should consider starting a blog because, trust me, you'll find something to write! Even if it's just for you as a way to work through your thoughts. It's been a life-saver for me in that regard. Let me know if you do!
Wow! I've tried to comment several times since you posted this, but I keep getting interrupted. This is just amazing! Thank you so much for writing this post!
ReplyDelete