So there's a little habit I have, infertility related of course, that very possibly classifies me as a crazy person. I've decided to put it out into the blogging world on the off-chance there's someone else who thinks the same way as me (because aren't we all scarily similar?), although I'm sure that is highly unlikely.
Okay, here goes. Sometimes I think babies are secretly trying to communicate with me. Yes, I said that. I can be in church, the store, wherever and a little baby, being held by someone and looking over that person's shoulder, makes eye contact with me. I immediately think that the baby, if I stare long enough, will suddenly move its lips and say something to the effect of, "You will get pregnant very soon," only to immediately return to acting like a baby, cooing or crying or whatever. And, as I look around, I notice nobody saw this miraculous event but me. Then I always snap back into reality and realize a) it's a baby b) it doesn't talk and c) last I checked, God doesn't send super-secret messages through infants.
I know, I'm very weird. (And in case I wasn't clear in this description let me just state for the record, I've never actually seen a baby talk to me. This is merely a day-dream. But weird, nonetheless.)
Saturday, August 23, 2008
Talking babies
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Your posts are not only reassuring, but can be so entertaining, as well! While I have not had the imagined talking baby experience, I may start having it now :) Ah, the power of suggestion.
ReplyDeleteThat video cracked me up.
You know, you should write a book. You're a talented writer with such great insights. I'd buy it!
I remember reading a book where some hippy said something about babies being born with all the knowledge of the universe. That's a stretch of course but I have always thought babies, especially very small ones, are very intense and seem really "wise" for lack of a better word.
ReplyDeleteMaybe it's because little ones are so close to God. I'm sure they feel the presence of their Guardian Angels acutely, too.
There, now all the "crazy" can deflect on to ME. :P
Cute video, haha. We always do that with ours, it's hilarious.
Lol!! Now that is a funny image. When I see little babies in church and everywhere else, I just hear them, and God, laughing at me. It goes something like this (to the tune of "Na na na na naaa"): "We are a family, youuuuuu aren't."
ReplyDeleteSo I'm sick in my own way. :P
how funny!
ReplyDeletei'm always making eye contact with babies at mass and pretty much every time i get them to smile at me -- i do have to admit that i've never thought that they were going to talk to me!
i love the video it brought a smile to my day!
Talking babies strikes me as your particular, unique way of expressing the real desire that I have felt to experience something like the Transfiguration: if I have to go to Calvary, please Lord, give me some little foretaste, some sign, some assurance that, yes, in time the suffering and loneliness of infertility will end with the infinite gift of a child. Just show me their face or give a message. I thought of this in particular during the recent Feast of the Transfiguration.
ReplyDeleteI've also imagined a similar thing to your babies: that some man or woman who I've never seen randomly comes up to me and tells me that my wife and I will have a child, and then disappears (showing itself to be an angel or Our Lady or a saint in disguise). It sounds kind of lame when I admit it, but its root is probably in the same place as your talking babies.
You guys are the best! You have made my weirdness seem somewhat normal and actually make a lot of sense! I guess I'm only slightly crazy :)
ReplyDeleteBrandon - I LOVE the Transfiguration comparison, and I too have secretly hoped for a stranger with a message or even something in a dream. Speaking of which, I have a post about that coming...