So yesterday I realized that my medication that lowers my prolactin is about to run out. I need it refilled, but since I have unofficially switched from working with PPVI to my local doctor, I didn't want to call PPVI for the prescription. It immediately occured to me that it would be a perfect excuse opportunity to call my doctor and ask about my metformin dose!
So this is how the call went yesterday:
Me (after first asking my "cover" question): While I've got you on the phone, I mean, this isn't a big deal or anything, but I was just wondering about my metformin dosage. I'm on the lowest dose and my next appointment isn't for four months, so does the doctor plan on having me raise it at some point? I mean, it's not a big deal if he doesn't. I'm fine on the low dose. I was just curious.
As if the nurse was writing all that down. This was probably the message:
Patient wants to know if she should increase her metformin dose at some point.
It's just that I'm very afraid of sounding pushy. I never want the doctor to think that I think I know more than him, so I was very hesitant to even ask. But... the nurse called back this morning and said I am supposed to raise my dose to 1000 mg (500 mg 2x a day) in three weeks. So now I'm glad I called! He definitely didn't tell me that at my appointment, and perhaps didn't consider it until he got my message. He almost didn't even put me on the medication, since he thinks I might be able to correct it with diet alone.
I am still reacting just fine to the met, and I hope the increased dose doesn't affect me negatively either. I know that some people are fine on 500 mg and then have side-effects when the dose increases, but I am going to assume I'll be okay.
In the meantime, I've decided I really need to start praying more. I always say that, but nothing really ever changes. I've considered a nightly Rosary, novenas, a daily Divine Mercy Chaplet. I also know that saying formal prayers isn't the only way to go, so I'm also trying to find a way to encorporate some silent prayer time into my day. Going to adoration is a good way to do that and my church has it once a week, which I currently don't attend (yes, believe it or not I am ashamed to admit I don't go weekly. The girl doing a documentary on adoration hasn't gone in quite some time). Right now all I am doing is talking to God a few times a day and I know that isn't enough. I'm leaning towards a nightly Rosary with my husband and adoration once a week, with the occasional novena thrown in. Anyone have any advice for what to pray or what's worked for them?
Friday, June 27, 2008
Ask and you shall receive
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I feel exactly the same about prayer... for some reason it has started to "slip" away from me. Maybe subconsciously I've just been angry, and felt like what's the point? But that's when I realized I need prayer more than ever!
ReplyDeleteI'm about to start my renewal Consecration to Our Lady on July 13th. I would definately recommend the Consecration to anyone interested... it is a series of prayers and meditations offered to Mary, developed by St. Louis de Montfort. (I'm pretty sure if you do a google on it with his name, the materials will pop up.) There's a little booklet that you follow along with day by day, and before you start, there's an Intro Book about Devotion to Mary in general. Me and my husband did the Consecration together the year we got married. There are 6 dates you can choose to start it throughout the year, and each on culminates on a Feast Day of Mary. We chose the Assumption. And when we did it together (it was my 2nd time), we also chose our wedding day as our final "gift" to Mary (we got married Aug. 19).
Praying the Consecration has brought so many graces into my life. But more importantly, it has opened my eyes to how important prayer is, and just how much Mary loves us all. We offer everything we have to Mary, so that she in turn can lead us to her Son.
It's also really nice to do with someone, I usually read the beginning "reading" or meditation aloud, and then Rob and I do the Rosary or Litanies together.
Finally, at the end of your Consecration, you can send in your names to the Legion of Mary*, as consecrated members. *Actually, it may be called something else, I'm drawing a blank.
I'm really glad you ended up calling about the Met! Good for you!
I only recently started praying the rosary. Being a protestant most of my life it felt weird at first. But as I read more about it I decided I wanted to do it more since Grace is promised to those who pray it. I figured that even though I couldn't expect my prayer for children to be answered just by praying the rosary (that would be trying to earn it in some way which I know is not the point), I figured that whatever grace I received in praying it could only help me handle all the ups and downs of my journey that much better!
ReplyDeleteI'm also going to start a novena sometime soon. I just haven't decided which one yet. I bought a book recently of various novenas. I will pick one out and schedule it so that the end falls near my IUI.
Let us know what you decide on!
By the way, once I started praying the rosary more, it became so much more meaningful to me and I now understand more about the devotion to the Blessed Mother and what that really means! Very cool!
ReplyDeleteI have subscribed to the Magnificat, which is so great. It has morning and evening prayers and also all the mass readings and prayers. DH and I go weekly to adoration and pray before meals. Have you heard of Cursillo? It is a great way to find more ways of practicing your faith. Let me know if want more info.
ReplyDeleteErin :)