Monday, June 23, 2008

We know what's wrong

Where to begin? I've decided that tonight I'm going to just post all the information I learned today at my appointment and not comment too much on it (or at least that's my plan). I just want to put it all out there and begin to process it. I will say, though, that I'm not sure how I feel about it right now. I go back and forth from being upset to being slightly hopeful. My husband, on the other hand, thinks everything we learned is great news, but I don't necessarily trust him. It's his job to say that. It's also kind of odd to finally, after all these years, know what is standing between me and having babies. Anyways, here goes...

I learned that from the blood taken at my last appointment on April 28, all my chemistry is good. I'm not anemic, my organs are good, and everything is normal. Also normal is my thyroid, my prolactin and my testosterone (my testosterone being normal was a big surprise because I thought that was high due to PCOS, which hadn't been treated at all when the blood was taken). It also showed that my LH and FSH ratio is still 2:1. That is bad and is a sign of PCOS.

We learned a lot from my saliva test (which was taken two cycles ago in May, and shows my hormones throughout the entire cycle). This is where it gets tricky, and this is where we learned what is truly the cause of my infertility. First off, I am ovulating (yes, I was shocked). At the beginning of the cycle, my estrogen starts good and my progesterone is low like it should be. Then all goes awry. You know how estrogen (or is it estradiol? whatever) goes down at the very same time that progesterone rises? I remember my Creighton teacher teaching me that and commenting on how amazing it is that God designed it so perfectly. Well, mine doesn't do that. My estradiol did whatever it's supposed to do to show that I'm ovulating, but then my progesterone didn't rise until about three days later. Three days! I think it's supposed to happen instantaneously. Then the progesterone got really high, like it's supposed to, but then it dropped off a few days before it should.

The doctor described my ovaries like this:

"You know how on Dancing With the Stars there's the really awesome couple who is smooth and in step and looks great? And then there's the goofy couple who is never quite in sync? Your ovaries are the goofy couple." He also used a golf analogy for my husband's benefit. Something about my ovaries not being like Tiger Wood's swing.

He said my ovaries are dysfunctional. I probably release an egg every month but instead of being this nice, smooth, precise process, it's slow and clunky and pretty messed up. So my ovaries are losers. They're ugly and dorky and probably get picked on by all my other organs.

He thinks the LH/FSH problem is causing it, and the whole ovarian dysfunction probably even caused my endometriosis.

It was at this point that he told me no one knows why this happens or how to treat it. He then said "this is when people do IVF" (he, of course, is against it, but just meant that this is when others would typically consider it their only option). So that was when I zoned out. I didn't hear much of anything else he said for a few minutes. I concentrated on holding back tears and I think I nodded my head a lot, probably inappropriately.

Somehow I came back around and picked back up when he was describing PCOS and insulin resistance. So I told him about my diet and weight loss (Oh my goodness! I didn't even tell you about my big weigh in! I did it! I met my goal, surpassed it even, and was down 16 pounds on his scale! Woo hoo!). His immediate response was "Praise the Lord!" He thought this was GREAT news and he thinks it is likely helping me already. He toyed with just treating me with diet and exercise. He had written out a prescription for metformin, and told me not to fill it right away. Then he changed his mind and said to fill it. He also doesn't think the drug will affect me negatively. He takes it himself and said it makes him feel whole again and will likely do the same for me. He also said that even if getting pregnant wasn't an issue for me, I need to treat this as a medical issue. It could lead to diabetes, heart disease or a heart attack at a younger than normal age.

On a sidenote, he said that metformin will likely make me lose even more weight, and faster. Looking forward to that! (And, hopefully, it won't be because I'm too nauseous to keep anything down! Please, Lord!)

So my doctor didn't come right out and say what my chances are of getting pregnant. He also didn't say it won't work. He basically just said that this happens to work for a lot of patients. He said it could take six to nine months to work, so we have a long wait ahead. He doesn't think surgery is in my future because apparently the wedge resection surgery is done to help lower the testosterone and, in turn, help the PCOS. Since my testosterone is already back to normal, that isn't my problem.

My next appointment is in four months. It's so far away that they're not even scheduling that far in advance, so I have to call in August. He also said that if by my next appointment it appears that the metformin is helping, he'll put me on either Clomid or Letrozole to help the ovulation. I'm hoping that combination will be what eventually leads to a pregnancy.

So that's it. I probably left some stuff out. For a recap: I am ovulating.. but my ovaries are bad.. my estrogen and progesterone don't switch off at the same time.. this somehow causes my egg to not do the right thing after leaving my ovary.. this is caused by my LH and FSH ratio being off.. this is all caused by insulin resistance (I didn't ask how).. and this is all part of PCOS.. my diet and exercise is likely helping to treat it already.. I'm going to start metformin tomorrow to help it as well.. but it will likely take at least six months before we even know if it's helping.. and if it is, he'll put me on clomid or something like it to help ovulation. I think that's it, but I have a feeling I'll remember something else in a little while and have to update this.

I would appreciate hearing what you think. Is this not that big of a deal? Have you ever heard of it (the estradiol/progesterone problem)? Is the situation more dire than I yet realize? Anyone know anyone who has fixed this problem and gotten pregnant?

I'm going to post tomorrow on how I feel about this. I will make a final observation, though. I left the appointment sure of one thing: If I do become pregnant, it will be through prayer. I feel now that nearly everything has been stripped away and I am left to lean on the Lord. I know I still have medication to try and my diet may help as well, but ultimately, whether any of that helps to correct my hormones is up to God. I know that it is always up to God, but for some reason I am now more accutely aware of this than ever before.

14 comments:

  1. Wow. Thanks for sharing all of this.

    I have to say - the biggest thing of all to me is that YOU ARE OVULATING! I don't think this can be underestimated. If there is an egg, eventually the little guys will find it.

    Also, I am going to do some digging around on the efficacy of Metformin. But I do know that P believes Metformin is an excellent treatment for PCOS and has the biggest success rate.

    I am actually encouraged by this visit. There are a lot of things going right for you, it just seems that this medication will do some tweaking. And if you have a deficient ovulation, I wonder if Letrozole is an option? I am pretty sure P has prescribed it to patients with PCOS, in conjunction with the Metformin.

    All in all, this seemed to be a very informative meeting. I definitely think you should give the Metformin a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I knew I forgot something! Yes, after my appt. in four months, he is going to put me on Clomid or Letrozole, assuming the metformin is helping me at that point. Thanks, I'll update my post!

    (And thanks for your positive outlook!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have any advice but I appreciated reading your story. I'm glad you have some answers and I hope that helps lead to some resolution of some kind. I know what you mean about zoning out about IVF. That was our only option for a biological child and we just won't do that. But it's hard to get a doctor to take you seriously when you won't try absolutely everything. Hugs to you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just sent you an email because blogger erased my comment before posting it...

    Short story: You definitely have cause for hope! Metformin and diet can help!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found your blog. I don't have any answers about how your tx will go, but I do know I took progesterone for most of my pregnancy to keep me pregnant as long as possible. I also deal with PCOS. Good luck and I hope it works. It is a hard thing to go through and as you said it is all in God's hands.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a strong, strong woman of God!
    What is so encouraging to me is that your doctors are still moving forward with this AND that you recognize that God can do all and has a beautiful plan for your life.

    I'll lift up my "waiting" pains for yours!
    You have my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweetie, I think your DH is dead on... this sounds like very good news to me. I know it's always hard to hear things that are "wrong" or "problematic," but that's what NaPro is all about! They've found your underyling issues, and now begins your "fixing" stage! As far as the ovulation hormones, I have definately heard of that problem before. Usually, a progesterone supplement will help with the whacky prog., but my feeling is that if there is an insufficient corpus luteum producing insufficient prog, then it was probably not the best quality follicle/egg to begin with. I have SUCH high hopes for you on the combined Metformin/Clomid or Met/Femara Tx plan!! That combo will lead to nice, strong eggs and strong c.l's. I truly, truly think that it will lead to your BFP.
    I know you have a lot of processing to do. Is there a reason your Dr wants to wait to start the O meds for 4 months? Did he want to see if Met alone would help the quality of your O? (Which is highly possible, btw. Especially since you are already Oing on your own, YAY!)
    I'm so excited for your news. This is GOOD! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad to hear that you are indeed ovulating! I think that's definitely positive news!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi. This is the first time I read your blog and just wanted to say that my heart goes out to you. I suffered infertility for a year before conceiving my daughter. Then the following years we suffered secondary infertility and miscarriage. I had problems with PCOS and low progesterone and was helped by a Pope Pius VI Institute trained doc. I pray that God will bless and strengthen you as you carry this cross.

    Bobbi
    http://revolutionoflove.stblogs.org

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just want you to know that I am thinking of you and you are in my thoughts and prayers.

    Congratulations on losing weight and eating healthy! That's also great news that you are ovulating!

    I haven't found a Catholic pro-life doctor in my area yet, but I am pretty sure that my ovaries are not working right either. I have endometrosis too and prone to endometriomas.

    After trying to conceive for a year now, I am convinced that the only way we are going to be blessed with a child is through a miracle from God! Maybe we could pray for one another??

    Would you like a St. Gianna prayer card? If you would like one, please email me with your mailing address. I will be more than happy to send you a few. I will touch them to the prayer/relic card that St. Gianna's daughter sent me.

    My email address is:
    prayrosary4life@aol.com

    (And if anybody else would like a St. Gianna prayer card, email me and I can send you one too!)

    Also you might find some hope and encouragement from reading this written by my friend Bobbi above:

    http://revolutionoflove.stblogs.org/archives/2008/06/dealing_with_in.html#more

    ReplyDelete
  11. http://revolutionoflove.stblogs.org

    Sorry! The link was cut off!

    Please know that you and everyone here are in my thoughts and prayers.

    May God Bless you.

    Maria

    prayrosary4life@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. that's a lot. i know after my second appt with my doc i felt so overwhelmed, but also relieved that i finally had some answers.

    i know for me it's so hard to be hopeful when i see so many others having such an easy go at making babies.

    we are so blessed to have found the creighton method, aren't we?

    ReplyDelete



  13. PCOS, the Hidden Epidemic

    The fundamental problem with PCOS is anovulation and not making progesterone for two weeks every cycle.

    This lack of progesterone leads to hormonal imbalance in the ovary, causes the ovary to produce testosterone and leads to the irregular menstrual cycles and infertility. This is aggravated by obesity and insulin resistance.

    Progesterone is missing, therefore replacing it makes sense.

    To read more, click here:

    Understanding PCOS, the Hidden Epidemic by Jeffrey Dach MD

    Jeffrey Dach MD
    4700 Sheridan Suite T
    Hollywood Fl 33021
    954-983-1443
    my web site

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope that you start feeling better soon! It would be so exciting if you would be having implantaion pains, but just having the hope is exciting enough for the time being! I think you are going to have good news to share one day soon and know that I will continue to pray for you during this time of hoping when there are no gurantees!

    ReplyDelete