Thursday, August 27, 2009

Changes

Well I've written a lot about my recovery lately, but haven't posted anything about my attitude right now.

Things began to change a couple weeks ago, when I first heard that I needed surgery. I was scared, and my entire outlook began to change. Infertility suddenly seemed dwarfed by the potential problems I now faced. Sure, most of it was irrational anxiety, but it made me realize that I need to live my life right now instead of waiting for something to happen. After all, I could be waiting a really long time. It's already been five years. I don't want to waste five more.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that I want off of this infertility roller coaster. No more drugs (well, there are multiple drugs I'll still take, just not ones to ovulate), no more charting (at least in the near future), and no more stressing out over what other treatments are left for me to try.

I want many, many months without a doctor's visit.

I want to live my life, I want to try really hard to be joyful, and I want to become much more prayerful.

I want to focus on what I have in my life right in front of me, rather than what is missing.

I gave this all over to God a long time ago. I truly know it is in God's hands whether I ever conceive, and whether we are ever picked to adopt. But while I gave it over to God a while ago, I still spent a ton of energy trying to figure out if I was doing my part, if I was helping God out enough, seeking the right doctors, treatments, etc. I think that's all going to come to an end.

Right now I really feel called to step back. Move on. Let go of the tight grip I've had on infertility for so long now. Focus on the Lord. And if it happens, it happens.

That being said, I won't dwell on that slim chance. Let's be honest here. It's been five years, three surgeries, probably about the equivalent of a year on ovulation drugs. We've treated endo, PCOS, high prolactin, and now we're tackling adrenal fatigue. The problems are many and the conception count stands at zero.

I think I am finally coming to the realization that we are beating a dead horse. At some point you need to put it out of its misery. I think I will feel much better when I move on. In fact, I already do. It's like a weight has been lifted.

And don't think that I'm going to stop praying for a baby. Actually, I feel like I am moving into a whole new phase of infertility - a prayer phase. I just really feel called to focus completely on prayer, but not just to plead for a child, but to grow as a child of God in this difficult time. I believe God allows trials in our lives so that we can respond in a prayerful way, so that we can do penance here on earth. If I am moaning and groaning the whole time (as I tend to do), then it can't possibly be penance. I need to respond in a way that pleases God. I need to accept this cross completely in the way that I feel called to respond.

That is not to say that I think seeking out medical help is in any way wrong or that someone who does is not suffering correctly. Of course not! I've just found myself in this place where I feel called to move back a little from treatments. And it's not like I haven't tried! After half a decade, we've traveled far and wide and have nearly exhausted my options (I say 'nearly' because there are still treatments left that I'll probably try when the mood hits me. Injectibles, for one!).

I hope you'll bear with me as I figure out what I'm doing next. As we all know, this attitude could change tomorrow (my doctor even told me not to make any rash decisions while recovering from surgery!), but I really don't think it will. While it may seem like this is a sudden change, I'm looking back and realizing it's actually been slowly building for quite some time.

First, in May, I posted this about feeling as though a pregnancy wasn't in my future. I sound a little annoyed about it, hence the title.

Then there's this from just a couple weeks later, where I already sound a little more accepting of the idea.

Then God helped prepare my heart more here and here. And then he hit me with this right when I needed it. Little did I know what was ahead of me! The Lord knew I needed strengthening.

I forgot I even posted all of those things until now, but looking at them altogether (which I don't expect you all to do!), it really tells a story. They are weeks and months apart, but together they are like a continuous thought, each one sounding like God had worked on my heart a little more.

I am more convinced than ever that this is God's plan for me. And I don't mean that I know his plan is for me to never conceive. I don't pretend to know what is ahead in that department. I just mean that his plan is for me to make this change. To stop obsessing about infertility. To stop with the jealousy and pride. To focus on the Lord.

I'm not even sure that God's plan is for me to stop treatments altogether. That is just the way I feel right now. I want to stop treatment. I'm tired and I think stopping is the best way for me to be able to move on and stop despairing. Personally, I just don't think I can do both otherwise.

So anyways, that's what my attitude has been since the week or so before surgery. But, like I pointed out, it's really been building for a while. Really, I am so, so, so blessed and I need to remember that each and every day. I am thankful that Ryan is on board with all of this (I didn't even have to ask him to know that, and when I did, all he said was he just wanted me to be happy more than anything in the whole world).

With our five year anniversary just a week away - which, as we all know, means the anniversary of the beginning of my greatest heartache as well - I'm blessed that I can even say that I'm actually looking forward to what God has in store for us. I know there's still likely a very long wait ahead until we can grow our family, and it definitely won't be easy, but I just pray that God will strengthen me to endure it. And I hope that I'm strong enough to spend that time serving him as well.

14 comments:

  1. Wow. What a beautiful post. I pray that you continue to follow where God is calling you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this reflection, K! You'll be in my prayers today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautifully written post.

    As usual, you and I are in the same place on things. (except the fact that you are in a much more peaceful place on it right now than I am !!)

    Every word written expresses how I truly feel about it all.

    With surgery comes many challenges, but I also believe many graces, too. I think that God has given you a very beautiful gift ... peace. That, after all, is what we are all really hoping for, isn't it? Even if we had babies, we'd have worries, and be praying for peace.

    So here you are, and you are in a place of peace and total surrender.

    I understand what you mean about wanting so badly to stop all the treatments, etc so that you can move on. I too have found it difficult to allow my heart to move on while pursuing treatments of any kind. We are mind, body and soul, and that is probably why. We cannot do with the body one thing and with the mind and heart another.

    I have always believed this for you and Ryan, but more so now than ever -- that you are right in the center of God's perfect will for you. And that yes - babies (plural) are coming. But right now, you are married to your soul mate, you have a beautiful Catholic faith, and the possibilities for how to spend this time are endless.

    I look forward to seeing where God takes you from here!!! Thanks so much for sharing all of this!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful thoughts- I really hope you begin to really feel His peace!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of this makes so much sense. Honestly, I think a long period of treatment is basically psychological torture. Addressing IF medically requires a heroic amount of time, money, and effort, and it's almost impossible to do that and not hope. But contrary to what the doctors and brochures say, there's no guarantee at all about the results. But you can't go through all of that and be neutral. I know I come off as an unhinged cynic, but I do believe that for many of us long-timers, the only freedom available is freedom from treatment (after we've had a long, hard battle, invariably), and, by the grace of God, someday freedom to live life just as happy whether we have children or not. I'm convinced you'll find joy here that injectibles can't give - and in a few months, when my next round or so is over, I look forward to joining you. (Sorry this is so long.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is often how I feel. I don't want to be obsessed with having a baby. I don't want my whole world to revolve around what mucous I see. Yes, I want babies....badly. But I'm not sure I'm willing to put my entire life on hold, hop on the emotional roller coaster and cry every month when what I want doesn't happen. I don't think God intends that for our lives. I'm not a "providentialist" by any means and I greatly admire couples who work diligently with doctors to try to have children. I'm just not sure I'm cut out to be one of those people. Perhaps IF is a great big lesson that yes, the desire for children is good and natural, but what is really deep in our hearts is a desire for God and that is something that is not denied us. We can have as much of God as we ourselves allow and it is in that communion that we find our joy for this life and the next. Of course, easier said than done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. Great post. And great comments, too.
    The post I wrote the other day is just so similiar to this one. But today I started to waver on the peace that I had found. I am happy to say that Our Lord used your post to set me straight again. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are TONS stronger than I am. And I really, truly do think it takes MORE strength to step away from treatment and turn to the Lord as your sole healer.

    I think I would be closer to this place if I had adoption on the table. But I do feel that God is leading me to seek out the baby He has intended for us... I'm not saying that's definately via conception, but with this "hiatus" on the adoption front, I think He wants us to continue finding the answers.

    One thing that has changed, though, is my obsession. Ever since handing Our Lady our fertility, we both are in that "que sera, sera" place.

    This is such a beautiful post, and I am so happy for you! I hope you were able to get some of these thoughts on video ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I admire your strength and your absolute trust in God. I think that taking a break will help heal you in many ways, mentally and spiritually.

    I am certain that God is leading you towards great things. I am sure of it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. K, I have something for you.

    I wanted to share this beautiful novena with you. It was given to me by a friend who is a Catholic homeschooling Mom of nine children and an author. She told me that she and a group of couples suffering from infertility prayed this novena and in the next year every one of them were blessed with a child!

    *************************

    Novena to JPII for _______ to conceive a baby.

    Dear John Paul II, servant of God, we believers of the Most Holy Trinity; Mary, the mother of God; St. Joseph; and the Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church are united in prayers with those on the Catholic-Fertility list.

    Dear John Paul II, servant of God, who are already in heaven, this is a novena for your intercession that __________ becomes pregnant and delivers a healthy baby who will glorify and praise God.

    For people certain things are impossible to attain and sometimes people are unable to understand God's will, but we deeply believe in your intercession, JPII. You always defended children, especially the unborn ones, and you loved them above all. Please look at _________ who is asking for biological children. Look at the tears in her eyes begging to become a mother.

    St Ann, you gave birth at a late age to our Queen of Heaven and Earth, the Most Holy Mary. That is what God wanted. With God nothing is impossible.

    We believe that God, Creator of heaven and earth, will look kindly upon _______ and give her the blessing, through Mary, the Virgin Mother of God and JPII, of becoming a mother of her biological and adopted children whom she will love and thank God for.

    Deal JPII, please help our prayers to be answered and that _____________'s womb be filled with the beating heart of a tiny baby. We already give you thanks and sincerely believe in your intercession to God.

    Dear JPII, your beloved mother also asked God for you to be born. Please remember our prayers. Amen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic! I love this post! I know and understand everything that you have written here! Can I send you this book my priest let me borrow if you promise to send it back so I can return it to him! hahahaha It is perfect for leading you into prayer. I mean PERFECT! It is like spiritual direction in a short 80 page book. It will rock your world!

    Praise God He is working in your life! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh K, what a beautiful post. Sometimes I think taking a break is the best thing we can do. We've continued (and will continue) to pray for you and Ryan every night for healing and that your arms will be filled soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is an amazing post. So insightful, honest, and humble. As DH and I start down our own IF track, I am sure I will come back to this post for some grounding. Thanks for a reminder about what love and life are really all about.

    ReplyDelete