So I have to have another surgery. Next week.
Yes, it has all happened very fast, and was completely traumatizing.
I was having some bad pain last week, right around ovulation time. When it didn't go away, and when I started getting nauseous from it, I called my doctor's office and asked for an ultrasound. That was on Monday.
I had the ultrasound Monday night and immediately started getting freaked out by the way the technician was acting. I tried to tell myself it was all in my head, but it was just different and I've had a lot of ultrasounds. Not to mention it was already one of the hardest days of my life.
Well, my suspicions were confirmed on Tuesday morning when Dr. B called to say I had a large cyst on my right ovary. He sounded very serious and I immediately started shaking and thought I might pass out. I woke up Ryan and put Dr. B on speaker phone. He said the cyst was 8x6x6 cm, when a normal ovary is more like 3-4 cm. And at my ultrasound in mid-June, the right ovary measured 4x3x4. So it doubled in size in less than two months.
He said part of it was fluid and part of it may be solid. Solid? My mind immediately went to cancer. I asked him if it could be and he said they didn't know. He didn't know.
Actually, this is when I really started shaking. I remember my arms felt like they were going to fall off. I could hardly speak and I was pacing.
So began another of the hardest days of my life.
I asked him if it could also be an endometrioma based on what it looked like on ultrasound and he said yes. He said what appears to be solid may actually be blood. That made me feel better.
After a few more phone calls, I had a surgery scheduled for August 20 and a pre-op appointment for this morning. I spent the day going back and forth between fear and calm. Well, I was never really calm, but I'd start to feel a little better after talking to several people who tried to convince me there was no way it was cancer.
But I was paranoid - I thought they were all saying that for my benefit. I called my husband immediately after he left for work just to see if he started crying when he got in the car. I made my mom swear to me that she wasn't going to get nervous after she hung up the phone. They all assured me that it was in my head.
I told myself that the odds are in my favor: I have endometriosis, have had huge bilateral endometriomas removed, have poly cystic ovaries, formed hemoraghic cysts four years ago when I moved to a higher dose of Clomid, and was on an increased dose of Tamoxifen this cycle. Not to mention I started hydrocortisone at the beginning of this cycle, which I believe some doctors don't let you combine with an ovulation medication. All signs pointed towards it being a benign cyst of some kind. If it was cancer, it would be a HUGE coincidence.
I went to bed feeling a little better, but woke up scared out of my mind. Today was hard. We drove to the doctors with me acting like a basket case. Praying was hard because I was scared that God would say no to my requests, something I am obviously familiar with. I know in my heart that he has our best interest in mind, but that doesn't mean his path for us won't be painful on a human level. But my mother basically ordered me to say a rosary, which I did.
I prayed my heart out, literally begging God for good news. I thought my brain and/or heart would simply explode if I was given more bad news at this appointment. I even said I would never beg for a baby again if things could be okay, and I meant it.
At the appointment, we waited for a while - me with a lovely paper shirt on and another paper draped across my lap. Not to be gross, but I sweated so much due to anxiety that the paper was literally stuck to me by the time I had to get dressed! I cried some more while Ryan comforted me. I just kept repeating the lyrics to "Be Not Afraid" and it really helped.
Finally, the doctor came in and the first thing she said was the Tamoxifen probably caused this. Praise Jesus!! That was just what I wanted to hear. It's funny how something that would have been upsetting just a few days earlier (since she had me take the increased dose of Tamoxifen when I wanted surgery) was music to my ears. It meant that she thought it was a regular cyst, caused by over stimulation.
She went on to say that she believes it's an endometrioma. She said it may just be a very big corpus luteum, but that it's more likely an endometrioma (Yay! The "other" thing it might be is even less of a big deal!). She also said one option was to just hold off on surgery and see if it shrinks on its own (Yay again! I don't want to do this option but the mere fact that it is an option means she doesn't think it's an emergency!).
We decided on a laparotomy because that's how she removes endometriomas. She is going to check with the radiologist to see if he thinks there's a chance it's just a corpus leteum, in which case she'd start with a laparoscopy and then switch to a laparotomy if it does end up being an endometrioma.
She's also going to get rid of any other endometriosis and/or adhesions that may be there.
Although we didn't discuss this, the laparotomy is going to likely mean another long recovery. That is fine. I am blessed to not have anything to do.
The laparotomy also means that she can fix my humongous scar!! She actually said she could!
On a more serious note, she did warn me I might lose my right ovary. She explained that my ovaries are already less than 100-percent because I've had endometriomas removed before. What was left of them at that time was reconstructed. This time, since the cyst is very large again, there may not be anything left after it's removed. Of course she's going to try to save it, but losing it is a distinct possibility.
But guess what? I don't care!
I'm not kidding. Thinking there's even a slight possibility that you could have cancer changes you. I don't mean to sound overly dramatic here, but it was the scariest thing that's ever happened to me and it made me realize I don't care if I ever have children. I'm serious. A life with my husband is all that I need. I will find joy, through serving God. Of course, we will always adopt, and I pledged yesterday to focus on that with renewed vigor. It just really forced me to put things in perspective. There are worse things than infertility, at least for me.
I don't know if this is theologically sound, but perhaps God wanted me to experience that fear so that I'd be able to handle losing an ovary. Last week, the mere thought of that would have sent shivers down my spine. And, as I've said to a few people today, maybe God is stripping me of what fertility I have left because he is setting up for me to have a full-fledge miracle. Getting pregnant right now would only be mildly impressive, but getting pregnant on one ovary will be a great story! Not that it will even be an actual miracle because, medically speaking, I will still have a shot. Knowing you don't qualify for a miracle is actually reassuring!
So I feel tremendously better tonight. My parents are coming for my surgery and my mom will stay the next week with me at my home. I'm nervous about the surgery, but that fear is manageable. I would love to ask for your prayers though, for a successful surgery and that the cyst does end up being nothing serious.
I still am in a very fragile emotional state though, so if you have any horror stories about cysts, please do not share them! Only good thoughts for me right now, since this has been the hardest week EVER. I can't even describe the pain and heartache I've experienced this week. I am completely drained.
I know God will deliver us though. It will get better. It already did today.
Wednesday, August 12, 2009
An unimaginable week
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
K, I literally feel like I'm on a roller coaster of emotion with you this week. I can't imagine how you are feeling with everything going on in your life. May God somehow be glorified through all this. I'm praying for you and will be thinking of you.
ReplyDeleteKarey, I'm so sorry you have to have another surgery. That is so scary. I know that it has to help your mind that your meds could cause this, I'll be praying.
ReplyDeleteI so sorry- I hope that everything works out and that God redeems this situation.
ReplyDeleteJust so you know...I also have a 8x7x6 cm cyst on my right ovary (a remnant from my Femara cycle). Although it is very large and painful my RE assured me that it will eventually reduce and they see it often after medicated cycles. I'm not sure if your situation is similar- but I just wanted to let you know that my cyst is HUGE, is a result of over stimulation, and is a corpus luteum, not cancer- they eventually determined that is is only fluid filled.
Hope everything works out and you heal quickly.
Oh wow - hey you never know. This surgery could be a GREAT thing for your fertility! I'll say lots of prayers.
ReplyDeleteI can't believe this all happened to you in the same week! I will pray for you and even offer up some of my suffering during my surgery on Friday.
ReplyDeleteWow. You have been through a LOT in a SHORT amount of time!
ReplyDeleteWas it Living Advent who said a storm is coming?
Anyways, please know that my prayers have been with you and will stay with you, even for the small things ... like the scar (not that its a small thing but you know what I am saying...)
I still believe God only gives us His best, so, not only is it NOT cancer, this surgery will RESTORE your fertility! I am thinking very positively for you and praying that way, too.
xoxo!!
Oh K, my potty mouth brain just keeping repeating "Holy SH*#!!" I'm so sorry for all that you've been through this week. I'm ramping up the prayers for you and praying for the best outcome next week.
ReplyDeleteMy heart goes out to you and your husband for the absolutely unthinkable week you have had. I just know that God helps give us perspective. I had mentioned to you before that thinking about my childhood friend that passed away at age 32 helped me appreciate every day that I had and that although I haven't been able to conceive yet, I still have the opportunity, while she does not. I believe that going through this scare allowed you to briefly see how things could be worse and appreciate what you have. I fully believe that is what God was doing (in a not so fun way) and that you will go through this surgery successfully. I'm glad you finally got an answer for the reason for your pain and that it is fixable. My prayers are with you. I know you will be fine.
ReplyDeleteI hope the surgery goes smoothly and a speedy recovery follows!
ReplyDeleteI had a similar thing happen in March. I had abdominal pain, and figured it was a cyst (I have a history of ovarian cysts). Went for an ultrasound and they found a cyst full of STUFF!! Not just fluid (as I usually had), but actual matter! I freaked, and I was sure I was a goner.
ReplyDeleteThey didn't seem as upset as I was, and wanted to see me back in one or two cycles. I went back in one cycle, of course!! By then, the cyst was gone! It had disappeared. The relief I felt was incredible.
I will pray that all goes well for you! I am certain that it will!
God bless.
I am so glad that God is present to you at this very moment. I cannot imagine the fear you have been experiencing. Know that I will be saying prayers for you and Ryan. Sometimes it just feels like at some point the challenges have to end, but I am so glad that there is fruit growing in your heart because of this challenge. I hope you can rest well tonight.
ReplyDeleteI know what it is like to be so filled with fear that you can't sleep, I hope God gives you a holy rest and peace at the last. (Those words are part of a prayer by Cardinal Neuman).
Wow Karey! What a week - that seems like a common refrain in the comments here. I don't think I have ever commented before, but I very much enjoy reading your blog and thank you for sharing your joys and struggles with us! God Bless!
ReplyDeleteK- what a really terrible week for you! I'm thankful that they caught the cyst though and it sounds like everything will be just fine. Lifting you up in prayer this coming week. xo
ReplyDeleteI still am in disbelief at the week you've had! You have had to deal with so much in such a short amount of time.
ReplyDeleteI'm praying for your and your surgery next week. May God fill you with his peace until then.
What a horrible week! I am so sorry!!! I think it was LA who said prepare for a battle.
ReplyDeleteI can't believe you have to have another laparatomy SP?....I'm so sorry!!!
Be assured of our continued prayers.
ReplyDeleteRyane
OH my gosh K, I can't believe this!
ReplyDeleteI'm praying this surgery goes well and that God will do beautiful things with this difficult time.
Praying for you! lots and lots!
What an awful scare! The good thing is that things are happening quickly and you won't have time to dwell on the upcoming surgery. Just get it done and over with -- and you get to fix your scar :)Lots of prayers to you and R.
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness. I'm so sorry for the tumultuous week you've had but so glad that your doctor has been able to relieve some of your concerns and that this pain you've been experiencing is finally getting addressed. Be assured of my prayers for you now and especially next Thursday.
ReplyDeleteroller coaster indeed!!! after reading your post the one thing that stuck out was, "she gets to fix her scar! how great is that?"
ReplyDeleteam i sick, or what???
i'm so glad that your mom is going to be able to take care of you while you recover. it has totally made the difference for me!
i'm praying for you!!! good things are going to come of this, i can feel it!
Wow, K, I had no idea that they told you that part of it was solid at first... omg, how scary this must have been for you!! I feel horribly for not calling you yesterday, I just assumed they KNEW it was benign... I am so, so sorry :(
ReplyDeleteBut wow, you're right, it really does put things in perspective, huh. As I was reading, and you wrote they may have to take the ovary, I, too, was thinking, "OK, so what, she's healthy!" And like you said, it's not finite or anything- people conceive with 1 ovary quite often. It could definately be worse... like if they needed to remove your uterus. Thank God that's not an issue.
Poor R, he must have been so freaked. You both have had quite a rough week, my goodness! OK, God, time to give them a break!
It makes perfect sense that the tamoxifen would give you a giant endometrioma (I predict that I have one much larger one on either side from it myself right now, because I can feel them). I'm sure that's what it is. Even if it WERE cancer - which it's not - you would have caught it SUPER-fast. Cancer on something you can lose like an ovary isn't deadly until it metastasizes, and this would have no chance to do that.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry for your crazy-scary week. Luckily, you're now in very good hands - you're going to be fine!
And I have to say how very much I admire the wisdom and grace with which you've taken your roadblocks and used them to find the path to fulfilling God's plan for your life. I need to get on that train :).
On behalf of the Society of Saint Gianna Beretta Molla, I want you to know that you are in our prayers to our powerful Saint! God bless you! Joe Cunningham, President, The Society of Saint Gianna, Phila. PA
ReplyDeletewebsite:www.saintgianna.org
Huge hugs and please know I am praying for you and am just so sorry all of this is happening!
ReplyDeleteAmy in SC
Oh no! I'm ready for you to get a break soon. I'm glad the surgery is soon, but still . . . You're in my prayers.
ReplyDeleteWhat a roller coaster!! I will pray for you at adoration.
ReplyDeleteoh, K. What a hard and scary week. Sometimes I feel like bad stuff so frequently all comes at once. ugh! I am SO GLAD it does not appear to be as bad as you feared ... but so sorry you have to do the surgery. Praying for you! Also, this is a bit odd since we've never met in Real Life before, but are you having the surgery in Fairfax? I am not very near there, since I live in DC. But I'm closer than Richmond. So if Ryan wants to stay in our guest room or anything, he would be more than welcome!
ReplyDelete