Thursday, August 13, 2009

I ovulated!

Thank you all so much for your kind comments and prayers all this week. We are doing better today.

Physically, I'm doing a lot better. I don't think I previously mentioned this, but I had a low grade fever for the last four days and a little bit of intestinal upset. I figured it had something to do with the cyst, but I'm not sure. I'm praying it's not infected, and thankfully the fever went away today so that is a good thing.

I also failed to mention, probably because it got lost in all the hoopla, that I apparently ovulated this cycle. Yes, along with an 8 cm. cyst, there was also evidence of a ruptured follicle on the same ovary and it was the perfect size. So my ovary did something very wrong and very right all at the same time.

And I am trying to focus on the good news because, really, it's the first time in five years of infertility that I actually have evidence that I ovulated. Not that I haven't ever ovulated before, but I've never had actual proof.

In other news, I'm really starting to get stir crazy. My abdomen is sore and hurts a little when I walk. It's fine if I'm sitting, and if I'm laying down there's no pain whatsoever. So I spent the first part of the week in bed and today moved to the couch.

I'm just so lonely. Things are so out of whack here and my adrenal-fatigued self can barely take it. I hate when Ryan leaves for work each day and I know he hates leaving me too.

Right now I'm mainly nervous for the surgery itself. I'm nervous for the anesthesia and that the cyst may be serious. I'm still not worried about losing an ovary, but I am seriously praying that somehow, some way the cyst miraculously shrinks before Thursday.

I have moments of anxiety, but overall I'm getting much better.

On the bright side, I'm looking forward to tomorrow because a) it's Ryan's first day off since this terrible week began, and b) it's St. Maximilian Kolbe's feast day. I love St. Maximilian and always look forward to his feast day. I can't wait to go to Mass tomorrow morning to ask for his intercession. And I really want to celebrate his feast tomorrow by going out to dinner. We need it.

We will finish our novena to St. Maximilian tonight. What a novena it has been. I've never had so much happen during the course of nine days. I know you're supposed to ask for the same intention each day, but ours have changed drastically throughout. I'm really glad we had that to go back to each night.

Thanks again so much for all of your prayers. It really means so much to me. It brings tears to my eyes. Not that that's a hard task lately, but still.

18 comments:

  1. yay ovulation!!! what great news!

    i can totally understand the frustration of having to lie down all day. the only position that i feel 100% comfortable is completely horizontal.

    too bad we live so far away from one another. if we were closer we could hang out and recuperate together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Proof is always awesome! I remember when my doctor was doing my first surgery and they had my ovulation on tape. I've never seen a doctor so excited. He was like a kid in a candy store. Funny things they get giddy about. I remember feeling the same way you do. Excited that at least it happened once in awhile. My husband and I are convinced it just happens in Autumn since we've got summer babies exactly four years apart.

    P.S. Any good new recipes? I'm really trying to be good this time around and not let myself go again. I feel so much better physically when I stick to the PCOS diet. I'm doing awesome so far. 30lbs lost!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry you are having such a bad week! We are having a terrible week around here too, although the problems are of a different nature. I've had one too many trips to the doctor and hospital for my liking in the past few days. But I digress...

    I'm commenting because like you, I had a 7cm cyst on my ovary. It was a corpus luteal cyst, and I ran a fever almost every day for weeks on end before I had an ultrasound and figured out why I was in pain and running a fever. The ob I saw said the fever was normal with a cyst that size. My fever was usually between 99.5-101, depending upon the time of day.

    I had one night where I laid down and I could actually see the cyst protruding from my lower abdominal area! It looked like a tennis ball was under my skin. I freaked. But all turned out well in the end as the cyst began to drain and went away without necessitating surgery. My circumstances were different from yours, but I share this so that you know the fever can be totally normal, and that these cysts do go away on their own many times. Since you have other reasons for the surgery, it may be a blessing in disguise that this cyst showed up when it did--who knows they might just remove some sort of adhesion that is the key to solving your infertility. I'm praying for that!

    My 19 month old son has to have a minor surgical procedure performed next Thursday, so the date of your surgery will not be forgotten by me! You can be assured of my prayers for you as I sit and wait for him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great news on the ovulation. Proof is always good for us pcos girls!

    I know Mass will be beautiful for you two tomorrow. I didn't know much about Kobe until my DH taught me about him a couple of years ago and shared a podcast with me. What an inspiration he is. I hope you have a wonderful day together.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since Jen L mentioned the recipes, I had to tell you that my DH & I love your chicken enchiladas (w/o the green sauce - I'm just too lazy to buy it).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad you are still getting good news during this difficult time. Waiting really stinks!

    I love praying the novena with my DH every night, it has been so calming to me. I know the prayers are working because I am relatively calm.

    I pray the surgery is healing for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You all have been on my heart and in my prayers this week. We watched Ryan on the news on Monday and I felt his angst at having to report news while dealing with such sadness. I am so sorry.

    Yet in the midst of your surgery plans and pain management, I am SO glad you have a little nugget of hope with the ovulation! Praise God for giving you that little blessing. Prayers for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is great that you have evidence of ovulation! I have been praying for you and your upcoming surgery :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. you'll continue to be in my prayers that the surgery goes well.

    I'm so glad you ovulated! that's wonderful. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. K-
    I'm going to the Basilica today and I'll pray for you there.
    i've got to hunt through your blog right now and see your favorite chapel at the Shrine, I remember you writing a post about it!

    Love to you...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just found it... Our Lady of Perpetual Help
    Will pray for you there!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hear ya on things "happening" during a novena... every single year we have huge, life altering experiences and news during our Consecration to Mary (which ends tomorrow on the Assumption). This year is no exception.

    I am still praying for you, and on an unrelated note, WOW, FJIEJ posting comments the morning of her big surgery- - she's so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  13. K, thinking of you and praying for you! I am so sorry you need surgery again. I'm praying that you receive a miracle and the cyst just disappears on it's own! Don't forget, anything is possible with God!

    I know how you feel because in 2004 I had a kidney stone and that's when I was first told I had a cyst on my ovary. They couldn't tell me what it was. I was so afraid and the doctors didn't help calm my fears. My doctor back then told me I needed surgery and scheduled me an appointment with a gyn. But you know what? That gyn did absolutely nothing. She just gave me that scary test for ovarian cancer (something 125) and just examined me every appointment. Finally I had enough and when they canceled my third appointment, I never returned. I know, maybe it wasn't the smartest thing to do but I was tired of nothing being done and terms like "it might be cancer" thrown at me. It was very stressful.

    When I was married in 2007, had my first physical with my new doctor, and told her about the cyst, she sent me for an ultrasound. I was almost positive it was gone by then. Boy, was I wrong! Then I was sent to more doctors who threw the word cancer around at me and stressed me out even more. It was also stressful when the new gyn/ob (a male) kept on telling me he might have to remove the ovary as well as the cyst during the upcoming surgery in Feb. 2008. I would return home, pray rosary after rosary begging God for a good report and to please save my ovary, and cry. It was awful.

    Yes, thank God it was an endometrioma from endometriosis (if only they had done the surgery in 2004 and diagnosed me then!), but then a new nightmare began : the heartbreak of infertility and endometriosis.

    K, please know you have many friends here who care about you a lot and are praying for you. May I recommend praying the rosary? Also how about praying to St. Gianna too? I have a saying my Mom always told me, which might help you too:

    "If you worry, why pray? But if you pray, why worry?"

    K, God will take care of you! Your friends here including me will uphold you in prayer!

    Much love and hugs to you, my friend! Wish I could meet you someday!

    Love,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow, so many things! I'm so, so sorry to hear about your sweet little kitty. I'm sorry about the cyst, but I hope they can remove some of the adhesions and endo. And wow, ovulation!! For certain ovulation! That's huge! I try to pray every day to St. Gerard for his intercession, I'll make sure to ask his intercession for you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. hey K, I caught your accidental comment and did not approve it, so don't worry. Although, I will say it would have been adorable to have that little image of Ryan at his news desks in my commenters.
    still praying for you...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so glad to hear you're doing better. Congrats on the ovulation evidence - sometimes it feels like all the stuff we're trying is some sort of supposed magic - who knows whether it works? They just tell us to take it and we obey. How vindicating to know that your body is doing its job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow - I am obviously running behind on reading/commenting on blogs. I am so sorry about the sad week you guys had. I can't imagine! Praying for an uncomplicated surgery. Hopefully Dr. L. can solve two problems in one surgery and take care of any endo/adhesions she finds. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  18. don't worry about the 'supposed to's' so much!!!! relax if you can...you're not working full-time are you, that would probably help? i know health gets in the way

    good luck...

    is the dhea making you nervous, esp if you're taking it at night?

    ReplyDelete