Sunday, August 9, 2009

Pain

So I most likely ovulated on Thursday, and ever since the day prior to it I have been having pretty bad abdominal pain. It's centered somewhat on my right side (the side I should have ovulated on) but is mostly throughout the entire abdomen.

At first I thought this was a good sign - ovulation pain right as I was most likely ovulating. But now I'm getting worried. It can't be normal to have pain for five days around ovulation, right?

I'll try to describe how it feels. It's not what I call "endometriosis pain". That was more crampy and came in waves and happened right before a new cycle started. This is more like sharp pain, although it's sometimes dull, and happens when I move, sit, stand, etc. If I can stay still, I usually don't feel it.

It mainly hurts when I walk and as I sit down. I haven't taken advil mainly because I want to feel it so I know what is happening and also because of how I once read you shouldn't take advil around ovulation. My doctor told me that was a myth, but I still don't if I don't have to. That being said, I think I'm about to take some so I can go to church.

I will also add that my left ovary is the one that always gives me trouble, not my right. My left one had the huge endometrioma on it (my right did too, but not as large) and I have had pain on the left side nearly every cycle since the fall. I never have pain on my right side like this.

Could it be fluid from ovulation? And if that is it, should it still be causing pain four days later? Could the fact that it is still painful mean I have adhesions that are trapping the fluid or something? Or could it be a cyst that didn't rupture and it getting bigger?

I am calling my doctor's office tomorrow, of course, but probably won't get to talk to anyone. Maybe I'll call the front desk just so I can get a person and tell them I'm having pain and want an ultrasound.

In the meantime though, if you have any thoughts on what it may be, or if it sounds completely normal, please let me know!

9 comments:

  1. K,

    This whole pain thing is really throwing me for a loop!!! I just don't get it why you have so much pain. I am soooo glad you're going to ask for an ultrasound though because pain sure isn't a sign that things are great, right? I was thinking that maybe it was just a sign of a good ovulation that dosen't make sense...wouldn't a good ovulation be pain free. I fell like I am just rambling but I really am at a loss as to why you would be having pain at all unless for the reasons you mentioned. Does LH have any suggestions? I pray that you find relief soon and that your doctor's office calls you ASAP tomorrow!!!!

    Hope you're taking it easy, xo
    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had large cysts on my ovary (follicle not rupturing) that caused a sharp pain on the side for about 5 minutes, then the pain dulled and lasted the rest of the day. Maybe that could last for several days - my Dr. was a little surprised it wasn't bothering more. That would be my only guess, but I have no experience with the adhesions & endo. I really do not think it is OV pain which shouldn't last longer than a day (or 2 at most). So sorry you're feeling bad and I hope you do get the US.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry about your pain! Ugh... it seems you are always dealing with something. If it's not one thing, it's another! :( I hope someone in the office helps you when you call tomorrow. Do you have any doctor's appointments scheduled as of now?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It doesn't sound like post-O fluid to me. I get that discomfort in most cycles with ovulation-inducers, and that's just how I would describe it- discomfort. NOT pain. Yes, it is mostly triggered by sitting down or getting up from a sitting position, BUT, never painful. I liken it to a really, really, REALLY full/bloated feeling in the lowest region of the pelvis.


    Maybe it is connected to post-O fluid, though. Maybe your fluid is getting trapped elsewhere throughout the pelvis, causing pain?? I really don't know, just throwing out ideas based on nothing.

    An u/s sounds like a good idea. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you are talking about and when I was on only 25mgs of clomid I remember having pain for about 5 days after. So it could either be related to that or it could be something else....

    Uggg, I am so sorry!!! Not knowing is the worse part.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi--I'm a big lurker but can't ignore the fact that R-sided abdominal pain that's worse with movement can be appendicitis. Its typically described as starting near your belly button and then will move to the right lower quadrant of your abdomen but sometimes it just starts in the right lower quadrant. People usually describe it as sharp and will worsen with something like going over bumps in a car ride. Sometimes it comes on suddenly but sometimes people describe pain starting mildly and gradually worsening. 5 days is a lot but who knows. You may also get nausea, loss of appetite, and a fever. Appendicitis can be a medical emergency (if your appendix ruptures you can get a serious infection in your abdominal cavity) so if this sounds like what you've got you really should be seen soon--I mean, ASAP, probably at the ER. Google it and you can read all about it!

    I know you have lots of pain with your cycles (and who knows, maybe have had your appendix out in the past) but as a physician who worries about everything I couldn't ignore this! I enjoy reading your blog and greatly admire your faith...so sorry if this scares you but better safe than sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jetlag - Thanks so much for your comment! I actually did have my appendix removed during a laparotomy to remove endometriosis in Jan. 08. Thank goodness I can rest assured it's not that. The pain did go away this afternoon, but now I am very nauseous. Hopefully I'll get to talk to my dr. tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh, I have no idea! I've been having unaccustomed weird pains too, but they sound different, and not as bad as yours (they don't last that long). Good thinking trying to persuade them to give you an ultrasound. Good luck with that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry you are hurting. I wish I could tell you for sure what it is!

    I had that feeling too all of last week (pain/discomfort in standing, walking, moving around) and on ultrasound it showed up as a lot of fluid around my R ovary. Then, the pain subsided as of yesterday and this morning's ultrasound showed the fluid was almost gone ... so that just goes to show that fluid CAN cause quite a lot of discomfort ... bordering on pain.

    But I don't know why it would hurt so badly. Who knows? Maybe the increased tamoxifen caused a huge follicle to rupture ...

    I hope you either get pregnant asap or can get a surgery scheduled soon to resolve this lingering question.

    ReplyDelete