Thursday, August 20, 2009

The best case scenario

Editors' note: Ryan is pinch hitting today for Ka.rey who is recovering from her surgery.

Good evening everyone! We are coming to you live from room 529 of the hospital. We are about three hours removed from learning the results of my wife's third surgery in two years. Praise God! We are so thankful to report that the news is as good as it could possibly be.

Judging from the mood of Ka.rey's last few posts, and I can also tell you from the forecast that she painted in the real world, she was quite sure that she was going to be spending tonight in utter despair after learning that the surgeon found some mysterious illness not previously discovered and of which there is no cure.

I have spent the last week trying to weed through her prognosis of gloom and doom to try and determine what would be the best case scenario and what would be the worst. Going into today my best hope was that Dr. L would come into the waiting room and inform me that Ka.rey had a cyst that she had to remove and that the ovary had to go with it. We had prepared ourselves for that inevitability, and we felt that as long as the left ovary could be saved we would be in good shape and thankful to God.

The worst case scenario was that both ovaries were in danger or needed to be removed and other issues existed as well. Perhaps endometriosis, adhesions or even worse. I was prepared for that and spent the entire time in the waiting room coming up with the right words to inform Ka.rey of the bad news. (Mind you, her "worst case scenario" went WAY beyond that)

Well here is the good news.. I didn't need that speech. In fact, I didn't even need to give her the news I considered to be the "best case." The results were much better than even that. She had two cysts on her right ovary - one was filled with fluid, while the other was an endometrioma. Not only was the ovary not removed, but Dr. L reported that Ka.rey was endo free, adhesion free, has clean tubes and two (as she described) "perfect ovaries." She actually seemed a bit sheepish when she said that she could have easily removed the cysts with a scope instead of opening her up. But it wasn't a total waste, because Kar.ey's scar was fixed.

She finished our brief consultation by saying, "We just need to figure out why she isn't getting pregnant."

So to say the least we are sending up prayers of thanksgiving. I remarked to Ka.rey when she first got back that it must have been hard for Our Lord to ignore the chorus of prayers that were sent his way. Thanks so much for the role you played and the support you have and will continue to provide.

Ka.rey is feeling great right now and we are excited to settle in with our favorite guilty pleasure B.ig Bro.the.r tonight!

23 comments:

  1. I am sending up a prayer of thanksgiving for you both! This is really the best case scenario!!!
    May the best of blessings be right around the bend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news & Praise God! Thanks for the update.
    - Abb

    ReplyDelete
  3. what wonderful news!!!

    i still can't believe that k was lucid enough to chat to me over the internet!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad everything went well! God is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this is the best news I've gotten in MONTHS! I am so thankful and happy for you both!!

    Thanks for the update, Ryan. Make sure she gets all the goodies she wants this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praise god! I'm so glad to read about the good news!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful wonderful news! Singing praises with you all tonight. I'm so happy to hear of such a great outcome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! Praise God indeed! It's so wonderful to get good news. K - I'm praying for your healing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Praise God! We went to mass today for both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Praise God! Ryan, thanks for posting. I was obsessively checking the site, hoping for an update. Glad to hear it's (better than) the best case scenario. Praying for your continued healing...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Praise God! Have been keeping you in thought and prayer throughout the day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't posted in a long time, but something made me check in today. I am so glad to hear the good news! God truly works in mysterious ways. I hope this is only the beginning of good news for you both. You cotinue to be in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I found your blog through Sew Infertile... i'm glad your news was good and i pray you recover quickly from your surgery.

    I myself have had some serious surgeries over the last few years and know how crazy scary it is to never know the results!

    While it is bittersweet to find you through these infertility circles, it is always a comfort to find a new friend.

    Take a look at my story while you're recovering...if for no other reason than to get to know me better.
    -Alison Amok
    RunAmokAmok.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome!! I was praying yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Praise the Lord for your good news! Hope u recover fast!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Praise the Lord for He is GOOD, His Mercy endures forever!!! AMEN.. god bless the 2 of you and we will all look forward to the coming miracles in you lives... to be continued as they say. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. So happy to hear the great news!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so glad to hear that it was much better than either of you even hoped for. I'll keep continued healing for you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so happy you received a wonderful report! Thank God!

    I am thrilled that they saw no new endo. May I ask you a question? Do you eat meat? Drink milk? Just wondering.

    Praying for a speedy recovery for you! May God Bless you and your husband!

    ReplyDelete