Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The new love of my life.. and a trip to the eye doctor

Okay, so I found something that actually makes me forget about infertility for a few minutes. I'm not kidding. It makes me completely and utterly happy, and for a brief moment in time I don't care that I'm barren or that I can't eat sugar. 

Of course, I'm talking about a food. And what a perfect, gorgeous, amazing food it is:

It's Bre.yer's carb-smart chocolate ice cream, with peanut butter that I heat up and drizzle over the top. I then mix it all together, and pretend I am a normal person who can eat chocolate/peanut butter ice cream, which is my all-time favorite. Why, oh why, did it take me a year to discover this?

It's pure heaven. It's seriously the most delicious thing I have eaten since starting my diet. Perhaps ever. I am in love. I told Ryan he should be worried that I'll spend the entire grocery budget on cartons of it. I can just see it now - he'll ask me about the bare cupboards and empty fridge (yet full freezer) and I'll be crying, telling him I just couldn't stop myself!  

Keep in mind this is the same person who actually cried in a restaurant a few weeks ago when the waitress told me they no longer served sweet potato fries (well, after she walked away. I'm not that unstable!). Thank goodness I have a new obsession.

And please don't rain on my ice cream parade and tell me how bad it is for me (I have no reason to think it is, but isn't anything this good actually bad for you in some way?), or what dairy is doing to me and my endo-prone reproductive system. I am on a strict diet and, believe it or not, this is actually allowed on it. It has four net carbs and 90 calories. Sure, I've had horrible abdominal pains the past week, but if I find out this is what's causing them I'll keep eating it! 

Just kidding. I have no reason to think the ice cream is causing my abdominal pains. I hope.

******************

In other news, we got eye check-ups today. This was a necessity because my glasses broke last week. They just snapped in two. Right now they're glued. 

So I've never had this happen before, but we had to get our pupils dilated and it was horrible! Far away wasn't bad, but I couldn't see close up at all. And it seriously made me lose my mind! I couldn't concentrate and felt totally out of it. And then I'm supposed to pick new frames! What?

I tried a bunch on but didn't like any, and just decided I'd have to come back. Then I realized we drove separately and I'd have to drive home. Oh my goodness! It was probably dangerous, but I just followed Ryan's big red truck and it was fine. Then I got home and started crying from the headache I now had, and the lack of eye sight. I can't explain why it was driving me so nuts!

Ryan seemed a lot better than I did, but then he emailed me from work saying it was worse than he thought. I couldn't imagine having to work today! 

So I took pictures of myself in the two pairs of glasses I narrowed it down to, and I was considering posting them here for your opinions, but I don't think I have the nerve. I hate glasses and I hate these pairs on me. 

The eye doctor also talked to me about an alternative to contacts today as well. My eyes are too dry to wear regular contacts (actually, he told me today I don't have enough tears - HAHA!! If he only knew!) and despite trying out tons of different brands in the past, I can't find any that work. So he told me about these gas-permeable contacts that you wear to bed then take out in the morning, and you'll have 20/20 vision for up to two days! How have I never heard about this before? Apparently, they work like laser surgery, except it's not permanent and also less expensive.

Do any of you have experience with these contacts? They seem too good to be true!

6 comments:

  1. my brother in law has those contacts and loves them! I've not tried them b/c with my wonderful regular contacts I don't take them out but once a week and taking something out and putting it in daily sounded like too much work for me! I'm lazy!

    Seriously though he loves them, I would give them a try if I were you!

    also your ice cream looks fabulous!! yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Post the pics!!!! My DH had lasik about 5 years ago and has been wearing glasses for the past 3 years! He hates it! Now if he wants to do it again he has to go back to PHX and get it done. Ugg!

    Your ice cream looks splendid! Doesn't Bryers go onsale 3 for $10? :) hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. "For a brief moment in time I don't care that I'm barren or that I can't eat sugar" - that is poetry, AYWH, and it heartbreaking at that. I am sure that someone, somewhere, thinks I should quit eating sugar, but I lack your long-suffering and I might literally have a hysterectomy first. What is it they say..."May you live all the days of your life.". Enjoy your ice cream. (90 calories?! I think celery has more!)

    Also, I hereby demand that you share the pics of your glasses. I just got new frames and now I'm thinking I should have gone crazy and gotten the electric blue rectangular ones instead - I *should* have posted pics! And so should you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That ice cream looks amazing!

    I had a similar experience with getting my eyes dilated. I had no clue it did that! I was by myself and couldn't find my car when I got out to the parking lot it was so bad! I drove home somehow too!

    Good luck with the glasses/contacts. I never heard of those contacts before. I'm so nervous about having anything done to my eyes...I'm afraid I'll go blind! I'm a worry-wort so don't take my advice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. although i haven't had non-soy ice cream in years, my mouth started to water when i saw the photo of your delicious treat!

    a former colleague had those cool contacts and he loves them. he would always ask me why i didn't wear contacts to school, but i just couldn't bear having dry eyes while teaching. i actually prefer to wear my glasses. when i first started teaching i wore them to look older and now i just can't imagine not wearing them all the time. the only time i wear my contacts is when i'm exercising.

    i think you should do an online poll about which glasses to buy. i'm so curious to see what your final choices are!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had lasik in 2001 and LOVE it. Still have 20/20 vision.

    ReplyDelete