Thursday, June 18, 2009

More tests

I did the adrenal saliva test today. I just finished it minutes ago actually, and can't wait to have a glass of coke zero and my low-carb chocolate ice cream! Both caffeine and chocolate weren't allowed all day.

For those of you who haven't done it, my test involved sucking on a piece of cotton under my tongue for 3-5 minutes, in the morning, at noon, in the late afternoon, and night. You then put the cotton in a vial and refrigerate it. I will mail the vials out tomorrow to a lab, and then will find out the results at a doctor's appointment in a month. I love any reason for another appointment! I'll get to ask all the questions I've been realizing I forgot.

I can't wait to find out the results. Lately, I've been completely out of it and I can't help but wonder if it has something to do with adrenal function. I don't know. I was feeling better in the fall, and into the winter, then this spring fatigue hit me again like a ton of bricks. My doctor tends to think it could be more related to what's going on in my abdomen, possibly the return of endo, but I can't wrap my mind around why that would make me feel fatigued. And fatigued to the point of nearly falling over when I walk from the couch to the bathroom. Today I ventured out to the mall, and I seriously started thinking that maybe I shouldn't go places alone! I mean, I was so dizzy and tired that I wondered what would happen if I just passed out in Pott.ery Bar.n! I think I need a chaperone.

I also googled stuff about thyroid malfunction today and found out something interesting - that ridges in your fingernails can be a sign of a low thyroid. Well, I'm not sure what kind of ridges they mean, but I have both vertical and horizontal ridges, so I have it covered either way! Seriously, my fingernails are weird. Mainly, my thumb nails, and recently my pointer finger nails started doing it as well. I remember doctors asking me in the past if my nails were weak or strong (when discussing thyroid), and I always just said strong, because they are. But I never mentioned the ridges because I didn't know they had anything to do with it.

I had bloodwork done on my thyroid at my appointment on Tuesday, so I'm interested to see what that says as well. I'm pretty sure that no matter what it says, I will be removing myself from the thyroid study at PPVI and my doctor will take over prescribing my thyroid meds. And my doctor doesn't believe in using the slow-release T3 twice a day, which means I won't have to take it every 12 hours and go without eating for six hours a day! Woo hoo!

Well, speaking of that, it's time for my 10:30 p.m. dose of T3. Apparently I am anal retentive when it comes to this...or so it's been pointed out lately. I thought everyone was as precise with this I am. I guess not.

6 comments:

  1. the adrenal saliva test sounds yucky and no fun at all! my naturopath is treating me for adrenal fatigue, but i didn't have to do the saliva test.

    can't wait to hear what your doc has to say at your next appointment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so interested in all this adrenal/thyroid stuff. Did you ask to be tested for it? I think I might ask to be tested for that- uhm... One thing I'd like to find out is the difference between adrenal function and thyroid function and their relationship to ovarian function. Did Dr. B go over that at all?
    Haha! I love how your phone alarm goes off precisely at 10:30 for your medication! Sorry K, but I think you get the award for doing EXACTLY what the doctor says! I'm supposed to take my meds at the same time every night, but that definitely doesn't happen...I seriously commend you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with GIMH I commend you as well. I am supposed to take foltab and B6 2x a day and I don't. I do it right after my period and then stop post peak. :) Duh, that is the most important part. :) The problem is with me, if I don't see results that come in the form of a pregnancy I tend to loose interest quickly. :) hahahahahaha WTH!?

    I was surprised about my results because I had the same symtpoms you had. I know all about that dang fatigue and dizziness. Ugg....

    At the bottom of my results there is a long paragraph, I will email it to you. It says something about how to correct the adrenal "naturally". Which in my case I think I will do because it wasn't off that much.

    We all need some major healing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have some small ridges in a few of my fingernails, too.
    Don't feel like you are alone in being on top of taking your meds every twelve hours, my phone rings at 9 am and 9 pm to remind me to take my meds.
    Hope you have a great weekend and keep getting the answers you need. Do they monitor your iron levels? I wonder if this could be what is aiding the dizzy spells?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never was anal about the T3 protocol (I mean, I took it pretty much on time for each dose, but didn't temp, didn't fast, etc.)

    But now with the hydrocort 4 x day, and the EXPLICIT instructions to not miss a dose, stay on schedule, and so forth... my day consists of alarms going off, and popping pills. And according to my mother and DH, my meds are only making me a big B. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the slow release T3 isn't a great idea. The reason is that people who are hypo thyroid also have slow disgestion so you aren't getting all of the T3 in the slow release tab. Something that works right away is best.

    I can't wait to see your adrenal results.

    ReplyDelete