Friday, May 8, 2009

Wishing for my alternate life

I read an interesting quote today from San.dra Bull.ock in an article about her marriage to Jes.se Ja.mes (who, of course is on my current favorite show, Cele.brity Appren.tice!):

"You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family," Bull.ock says. "I'm not going to spend two seconds of my life wishing I had something I don't … I just want people to admit that there's no one way to live your life."

Hmmm.. sounds like someone dealing with infertility. Maybe you all already knew that, but I'd never heard it before. Not that I think about San.dra Bull.ock's life all that often, but if I were to, I guess I would figure she just hadn't been married that long and that I'd probably see the announcement of her pregnancy (most likely via IVF or surrogate, because that seems to be the only way babies are conceived in Hollywood) on the cover of a magazine in the check-out line any day now.

So I googled it and found this:

At the premiere for her latest film, Infamous, actress San.dra Bul.lock reportedly got angry with a reporter who asked her if she and her husband, TV Host Je.sse Jam.es were expecting.

While jumping in the reporter’s face and pointing her finger, Sandra allegedly shouted, "Oh my god, that is just a disgusting question. And you know what? What if I couldn’t have kids? You know what? That’s the way you make women feel when you ask them that question."

Can you believe she said that?! Apparently that was back in 2006, and some articles go on to quote her saying something about having "stagnant ovaries."

Who knows. Her situation might be very different from mine, it might be completely due to her age (she's 44), and, of course, she still might end up doing ART and conceiving. And, not to mention, maybe she's not infertile at all, and maybe I'm completely wrong in reading into her quotes (but come on, it is kind of like gay-dar....infertile-dar?). None of that matters, though, because I am really sharing all of this for one reason - what she said in the first quote I posted above. Specifically, the part I made bold (okay, go check). 

I, for one, spend A LOT of time wishing I had something I don't have. That's my full-time job (if only I got paid...) and probably where a lot of my misery comes in. 

Interestingly enough, this isn't the first time today I found myself thinking about this very thing.

This morning, I was watching a segment of the interview a morning news show did with the woman who had the face transplant (God is speaking to me through the media now! He probably thinks, "Well how else am I supposed to get your attention?"). It really hit home to me when she was asked about her old self and what she thought when she looked at old pictures. She said how foolish it seems now that she worried about the way she looked at the time and then said, "I want to be positive. I want to move on. When I woke up from that surgery, I thought, 'It's 2009. Everything's going to be great from here on out.'"

The reason that I relate that to infertility is this: We might not have an "old self" we are longing for, but we have an "alternate self" that we surely do. We long for that life that we never had, the one where we had babies in our mid-twenties and had three, maybe four kids by now. The life where it came easily and we decided when to conceive. The life where infertility is nothing more to us than an issue a friend of ours is dealing with, something we spend a moment feeling sorry for her for, before going back to caring for our little ones.

I spend a good amount of time longing for that life. And it's not even a memory I pine for. No, it's a creation, a fantasy that never was and never will be. 

So thank you, San.dra Bull.ock and Con.nie Cul.p. Your words made me realize where, perhaps, my entire problem lies. I need to stop wasting time wishing for something I don't have. I need to wake up and realize today is a new day and I can choose to be happy (well, when psycho hormones don't derail me). And I need to live in reality, rather than spending my days mourning the loss of an alternate universe where I am fertile (although, I can't help but wonder if maybe, just maybe, there is an alternate time and I do have lots of babies there. I think I've been watching too much Lost!). 

Now I'm going to make a dress, i.e. waste some nice fabric. Wish me luck.

10 comments:

  1. Love it! Your post made me feel better about my current situation in life! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay - I hardly ever post a comment on here my dear sister, but every once in a blue moon you just blow me away where I feel compelled. Your strength is unparalled. I watch people around me who are truly blessed yet spend their time complaining about little things that are not important...and here you are with something that consumes you daily, demonstrating absolute strength. You are such a role model to those around you, including me! It isn't easy to have that kind of positive outlook in life...regardless of what you are dealing with, big or small. It has to be a conscious decision one makes...and you, time and time again, choose to be positive and strong. I am so lucky to be your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or Sand.ra Bul.lock will adopt which will be easy for her since who wouldn't give their baby to a celebrity? Or she can go internation.al since she has the money. I think it's interesting that cele.brities just like us have IF issues. They just have the means to deal with it differently if they chose to. I work on being happy with my life all the time...I think we both are in very blessed marriages...and I have friends with children that envy me because of that! My dh is loving, caring and devout. I got a good man...I'm blessed. You are too. We are blessed in that we CAN accept GOd's plan for us(or at least work on it). SO many won't. I'm praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, thanks Amy! I first read your comment and thought, "wow, what a nice comment! I wonder who Amy is!!" I thought the girl meant like spiritual sister.. haha! Seriously, though, I appreciate it.. that was all so sweet of you to say :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great post, and I had never heard about Sandra Bull.ock's possible "issues" with fertility. But it certainly sounds like she either knows first-hand about it, or at least knows someone close to her, because I don't know ANYONE else who would have answered the question that way.

    You're right- I waste a lot of time, too. Pining for a life I never had, and was never meant to have. (I'm not being melo-dramatic, but I do believe that God did not intend for me to get pg immediately after marriage... He had other plans for my family and for my life.)

    Thanks for the reminder!
    And your sister is so sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. I think your "IF-dar" is right on. While SB isn't exactly discussing it openly, those comments come pretty darn close.

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautifully said..thanks for sharing :D Love and Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read that today on people.com and thought the exact same thing. She's infertile. Makes me sad for her of course. But I think she's happy with her step kids which is awesome. I am a celebrity whore.

    I'm glad you found some peace today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think a lot of celebrities are finally realizing that they waited too long, and put their careers before marriage. While it's sad, it's hard for me to identify with. We are all feeling the same pain, though, no matter who we are and how old when we started TTC. Thanks for the thought-provoking post - I think not being able to live in reality is a problem I have as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. i totally get your "infertile-dar"! i find myself suspecting everyone -- IRL or in the celebrity world.

    i spend way too much time pining for things that i don't have that i forget what is right in front of me.

    great post!

    ReplyDelete