Saturday, May 2, 2009

To vlog or not to vlog

So the other day, Living Advent sent me a link to this. And ever since I first saw it, I've been contemplating what I can do for it. Here is the thought process that I keep playing over in my mind:

  • Time is short. It's due on July 9, so there's not much time for me to really focus the movie on anyone other than myself, since that would include travel

  • So if I am doing it on myself... what could it possibly be about?

  • The only thing I can come up with would be a sort of "cycle-in-the-life," and cross my fingers that something interesting happens this month

  • But is that insanely boring? 

  • Yes

  • And is it inspirational, like the rules say it needs to be? My definition of inspirational (real, honest) might be different than the definition of the drug company sponsoring it (pregnancy, perserverence until that illusive positive test is finally reached, most likely by doing IVF)

  • And, upon reading the rules closer, it sounds like they want women who have conceived after infertility, although they never come right out and say that. "Path to parenthood" is the terminology they use. Yes, we are all on a path to parenthood, so technically...

So that's what I've been thinking about, and probably driving Ryan crazy with it all. He thinks we need to just start shooting this cycle, just in case that is what we decide to do. I mean, next month it will be too late, since it's due in early July. And if I wait any longer to decide now, it will be too late for this cycle as well.

Plus, what will it hurt to document one of my cycles? I  mean, at least it would allow me to, years later, look back and feel sorry for myself!

That brings me to this - we started shooting stuff yesterday. I am going back and forth about whether it is super lame or a work in progress that we may or may not do anything with. But as I was talking to the camera about infertility, I realized that perhaps I should use some of it as a video blog here.

But then that brings me to whether posting it here would be super lame or not. Usually when I watch someone's video blog (I hate the term vlog) I tend to think it's boring. There are some who can pull it off, but mostly I think people watch because it is like watching a train wreck. 

But, at the same time, I have all this camera and editing equipment that I love to use, so why not? It'd be just like my regular posts, but instead of writing, I'm doing it in a video. Maybe I'd do it once a week... Maybe I'd incorporate video... and make it interactive so you guys would suggest what it should be about each week.

I don't know. I don't know if there is any added value in video blogging, other than it puts my equipment to use (plus you'll get to hear my voice and decide whether that's what you pictured or not!). See what you think. I'm going to post a very short clip here to give you an idea of what it's like. This one I was doing specifically for the short film (although I refer to Tamoxifen, and later saw that the rules say you can't mention any medications by name). And while it is not directed at you guys, as I was doing them, that's what it became in my head and I had to stop myself from talking directly to you!

I'm also posting this clip in particular because you get to see Sophie Belle! 



12 comments:

  1. i think that it's a great idea! it adds an interesting dimension to blogging and i thought it was pretty neat to see you talking! documenting one of your cycles would be a great jumping off point.

    i can't wait to see what comes of your project! good luck!

    btw, sophie is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was it just me? I thought that was hilarious!

    The way you pulled sofies hair back to make her eyes bug out of her head. The way you forced her to sit with you. Co sleeping! That was hilarious!

    I think its a great idea! I hate my voice on camera and I don't have the guts to do it. But it would be very interesting to watch! ;) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I'm sorry... I thought it was hysterical, too!! I had to stifle my laugh since I'm full of spoodge at the moment and didn't want it to pop out...

    I think the video competition is a great idea. As for the vlogging... it was cool to hear you talk, but I think your emotions shine through more in your writing. Was it just me? I just felt like you were being so factual and straight-forward (on THIS video, anyway)- whereas in your posts I can always tell if you are excited, nervous, depressed, angry, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Relieved to see you didn't end up with a "wardrobe malfunction" at the end there! It's always interesting to put faces and voices to the personalities I'm getting to know. I think your emotions probably do show better through your writing. But, for the sake of the documentary, I might almost be MORE matter-of-fact. If it will be viewed by people who are judging it, I would think I would more want them to see me say, "I spent last night crying, but when I woke up this morning I decided..." than to SEE me cry. That's just me, though, and you could well have the opposite opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. just great, K! seeing you in action is the next best thing to meeting you!

    I especially loved your "oooh!" at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the video blogging idea. It really helps with the connection thing. Cool...oh by the way...I treat my cat like a baby and he's not into that too much. He just gives me "that" look...and sighs. He only likes to be held when he wants it. Catttide is what I call it. I'd let him sleep with us too if he didn't wake up at all hours wanting to play! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I personally loved watching this video ... maybe b/c I know you already IRL and like you so much ... its like getting to hang out with you for a few minutes or something.

    I would have loved to hear more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Go for it! The competition sounds perfect for you, and what a great way to spread the word about alternatives to IVF, etc... I agree with TCIE that your emotions come through more in your writing, but I think as you do the video blogs more and actually do come across as talking to fellow bloggers, it sounds more natural. Combining the matter-of-fact with the true emotion would be great! And Sophie was a star! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. great idea.
    It was great to put your voice to your words I have been reading.
    I vote that you continue with it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad that you are excited about the competition. I like the idea of documenting a cycle. I think it's inspiring that no matter the out come we keep going. I was trying to come up with ideas when you asked but I came up with nada.

    I love the vlog idea! It's neat to hear your voice. I definitely hope you do more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You were born to be behind the camera! Everything you do turns out fabulous, so best wishes with the competition and the vlogging. Just promise me you won't read stories to your future child, haha, jk!!! I'm sure if you did it, that would be fabulous too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your dog is great...lol. Let us know who wins the IQ battle.....(or you probably already know.) I told a friend of mine about the shrine, the vestment....she was choked up. Now I want to go. May this summer I will venture there. Not too far from Cincinnati...
    I prayed for you at the first communion Mass yesterday. Just out of curiosity, has your dh tried supplements? That was a huge game changer for us. I just can't stay preg :(. I can give you the link if you are interested.

    ReplyDelete