Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Messed up

Well it looks like today is cycle day three. But this leads to much confusion over when to start the Tamoxifen and it probably means another call to my doctor's office. 

I had spotting on peak +11, peak +12, and now peak +13 (or, as it will likely be charted, cd 1, 2, and 3). But here's where the confusion starts - according to the Creighton Model (and I could be wrong here), three days of spotting goes on a new line and starts a new cycle, but four or more days is part of the previous cycle. Right? It's the type of thing where you don't know how to chart it until you can look back and see how it all played out. But that doesn't help me right now, as I try to figure out what cycle day I'm on for starting the pills (which need to start on day 3). And while my doctor is familiar with Creighton, it's not the sole method he prescribes to. So he might not think that spotting starts a new cycle at all.

And I have just had spotting, nothing more (so far today, at least...it could end up being two days of spotting and then today starts my period), and I remember my doctor telling me you should have two days of a regular period before taking the Tamoxifen. I'm probably going to call his office and ask. Oh, and I peed on a stick to rule it out before starting a drug that could kill a fetus and it was, of course, negative.

Now let's discuss the long-term physical and emotional ramifications of this spotting. First, I haven't had spotting in a long, long time. Not since getting "healthy" last fall. While I did have a day of spotting mid-luteal phase in December and a day of it mid-luteal phase last month, I have not had any, ANY, spotting at the end/beginning of a cycle in many, many months. Now granted, this spotting is red and not brown, so that must account for something, right? With my luck it probably means something worse!

So I went without my bromocriptine to lower my prolactin for about ten days this cycle. Did that cause this? My doctor assured me on the phone (in a voicemail) that it wouldn't have an effect in that short amount of time. But maybe he got the message wrong and didn't realize it had been as long as it had.

I want to be level headed about this and maintain my composure, but I'm pretty sure the reality of a ten-day luteal phase is going to hit me hard any minute now.  It's like, really?? I can't even have the comfort of thinking things are improving? And now it looks like things are getting worse?

I know I've prayed for whatever is wrong to come to light and maybe this is it. But what? My cycles have just been so good lately! Well, my body still doesn't do what it was designed to do, so my definition of "good" is definitely different than that of normal people. But my luteal phases were lengthening, and had been 14 or 15 days since February. Now ten? It hasn't been that short in years!

Why can't things just go smoothly? Why can't it be obvious when I should start my medication? Why can't I get a darn prescription called in when I need it?? (That's another whole story)

I'm sorry, but I'm not one of those people who others will look back on and say "I never heard her ask 'Why me'." Ha! I think I ask that once a day! WHY ME, GOD?????

Alright, time to start calling my doctor, the pharmacy, then probably my doctor again. At least it'll be interesting to see what my progesterone was this cycle. It must have been all sorts of messed up. Hopefully I'll get at least the first result today, but then again, I'm sure I'll have to wait. That's what I do.

12 comments:

  1. So sorry. That is so frustrating. Could the spotting be caused by the stress of traveling? It is a simple thought, but even when my cycles are good, if I travel is messes everything up (even if the traveling is during my luteal phase. Just a thought, but I'd check with your doctor and here his thoughts. When is your next appointment?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's June 16. The stress of traveling is a thought. Although I have traveled a few times this year (including the same trip for my grandmother's funeral, which was stressful) and it never happened before. That's definitely a possibility, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I am not mistaken, you don't get your period until you see a flow. Just my humble opinion from the Queen of Spotting. :) But I could be wrong. Your 10 day luteal phase sounds like my 8 day luteal phase last month! WTH!?

    The 10KL you had with red in it is probably you just getting ready for a period. That is how it was explained to me when I saw that at the end of my cycle, and totally thought I was pregnant. :)

    I am so excited you got your levels checked this month. It will probably show a lot!!!

    I would say you haven't started your period yet, not until flow. That is how I always know when to take meds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, I counted red spotting as CD1 and brown as tail-end. But, I am the opposite of an expert here - I sort of chart seat-of-the-pants (and my results are about what you'd expect). I would generally agree that it could just be stress. "Normal" women have an off cycle every now and again, right? So, you could too, maybe.

    Also, tamoxifen is dangerous to an unborn child? MORE things my RE did not tell me. Grrrr.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I think that any ovulation medication could hurt a fetus, right? My Tamoxifen says on the bottle not to take if you suspect you could be pregnant.

    And I heard from my doctor's office - you need two full days of flow before starting the drug. I still wonder how this affects charting though, because I'm pretty sure Creighton says less than three days of spotting means a new cycle started. Oh well. It's going on the end of my last one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! I am a Creighton Model Practitioner intern...if you have 1 or 2 days of spotting before your heavier flow, it goes with the period. Three or more days of L, VL, or B bleeding prior to your heavier flow goes with the previous cycle. So if you are still spotting today and it's day 3 (and stays spotting all day) then you haven't started a new cycle yet. I hope this helps!

    Amy in SC

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Amy. What I am confused about now is that it looks like I had two days of spotting before my period. So according to Creighton, today is cd3. But... my doctor says to not start the Tamoxifen until the day after two days of a normal flow, which means I'll be starting it on what Creighton would consider to be cd 5 this cycle, when it's always taken on cd 3-7. Does anyone know what PPVI would say about this? It's not a big deal, but I'm just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy's right, K. It's LESS THEN 3 would go to the next line, not less than OR EQUAL TO 3 days of spotting. So if it doesn't turn into medium or heavy flow by the end of today, you're in the clear and you will not have any confusion (it will belong to previous cycle). It seems as if this is the case, right? No moderate/heavy flow yet?

    Then if today is just a spotting day, you will continue charting the spotting on the previous cycle UNTIL it turns into moderate or heavy. And in that case, you're in the clear because day 3 will then be after 2 days of a real flow, like your Dr wanted.

    I was getting a lot of that spotting before my periods the past few cycles, too. I don't know why. Weird. Whenever it interfered with my taking my O-drugs, though, I'd usually take an hpt JUST to make sure, and then go ahead and take my meds on the 3rd day of spotting. Not because it was actually day 3, but b/c I was impatient and pissed at my cycle for making me wait for moderate flow, lol! I wouldn't say you SHOULD follow in my footsteps, BUT... hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am of no help you, but reading all the comments I have learned that I chart wrong sometimes. Ugh.
    I hope is all works. I agree that even 'normal' women sometimes have weird cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What Amy said about charting the spotting...2 or less days are at the beginnig of the next cycle and 3 or more at the end of the previous. I think you said you spotted on peak plus 11,12,13. Possibly a sign of low progesterone or maybe estrodial or both. The test results should tell you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so sorry - hang in there. I know this must be so frustrating.

    ReplyDelete