Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A new phase

Well my peak +7 progesterone was very low for me: 17. When it had been as high as 44, and usually hovers in the 30's, 17 is low. It's actually lower than my peak +11 results had been the past several months.

I have no idea why it was so low this month, but the nurse on the phone said the doctor in the practice who signed off on it said it was great. But I'm sure when my doctor sees it he will notice it is abnormally low for me. 

As for what cycle day I'm on, according to the Creighton Model, I'm on day four. I had two days of spotting before starting my period. That also means that - according to my doctor's instructions to wait until I have two full days of a period before taking Tamoxifen - I will start my Tamoxifen on day five (it's normally taken on day three). I'm not going to worry about the details of it, though, because I'm sure my doctor doesn't care where I put my spotting days on my chart. And I also know how I chart isn't going to get me pregnant. As Hilgers himself said when I was in Omaha, the stickers are just for us. He could read it if it were all jumbled on one line with no little baby pictures.

In other (albeit related) news, I think I'm entering a new phase.

After nearly five years, I am more and more sure every day that I will never conceive. It's like for a while, we were climbing uphill, getting closer and closer to a pregnancy (or so I thought). And then, without even realizing it, we had reached the top. But on this mountaintop, nothing awaited us. There was no prize for all the hardwork and time spent. Now I'm descending on the other side, although that's not to imply that this side is easier because it's downhill. Oh no, I think it's harder than I could have ever imagined. And the closer I get to the bottom, the slower I want to walk.

As much as I am depressed about this, I haven't even begun to mourn the finality of it. When I let my mind wander there, it is too overwhelming. When the time comes to truly deal with it, I'm sure it will be a process. A long, painful one.

Does this mean I'm giving up tomorrow? Ending all the charting and medications? Well, some of my medications are forever, like the metformin. No, I'm not giving up tomorrow. I said I'm entering a new phase. I'm going to wait until my June 16 doctor's appointment and see what he says. If he is optimistic and wants to try another treatment, I'm not going to turn it down. I'd still like to try some kind of injectable.

I know I might sound all over the place about this - feeling strongly that I'll never conceive yet open to injectables - but it's complicated. It's like I know in my heart that it's over, but, at the same time, giving up medically is a big decision that you don't want to look back on and regret, afraid you made it too soon. Perhaps any additional treatments I do will be to rule out their success. Actually, that's how I've felt for a while now.

Now, I know, ultimately, that God is in charge. I know that all things are possible with him (which sometimes makes his lack of a miracle for me hurt more). I know that just like charting wrong won't affect my health, deciding to "give up" won't affect God's plan for me. I could declare to the world I'm giving up, and God might hear that and chuckle because he has other plans in store. I truly believe we don't need to make these grand decisions, it is not our decision to make.

But, that being said, I just feel like this is the direction I'm being sent, and I'd like to think it is coming from Him. So I'm not going to do anything drastic, I'm just going to go with the flow. And, more importantly, I'm going to start mentally dealing with never having biological children. I feel called to prepare my heart for this. Of course, this is something I've been grappling with for many years now, but not in a real, raw sense.

And while I know I must leave it all up to God, I don't think I can handle allowing myself to think that maybe, many years from now, I will have a surprise pregnancy. I know technically it's possible that I may be one of those lucky few, but I may not be. I can't hold onto that hope. I'll hold too tightly and it won't be healthy for me. I can't live my life chasing something that might happen in the future. Hope is one thing, but, for me, learning to live for today is more important.

So you probably won't notice too many changes in my blog in the near future. I'm sure I'll go back and forth from wrestling with the finality of never having kids that look like me one day, to complaining about spotting the next. That's nothing new. I just don't know where this new phase will take me and, frankly, I'm scared to find out. I can write about moving on, but doing it is still a painful concept to wrap my mind around. I just pray that God has mercy on me while I travel this new road.

10 comments:

  1. I feel like this is where I've been for about the last 5 months or so. Somehow ... amidst the surgeries, the injectables, the ultrasounds, the charting, etc ... I let the dream slip away.

    Not to say I don't wish and hope. But the dream isn't real anymore. It isn't around the corner for me.

    I too can relate to the schizophrenic-ness of it all, b/c from day to day I find myself letting go of it vs. trying even harder than ever before. I think we do this because how many times have we heard women say, "We had given up. And that is when it happened."

    Ultimately, your point about it being up to God is right on.

    We just have to remember this and focus on it and trust that His plan for us is beautiful and perfect and that we didn't fall off track when we discovered our infertility. He knew it was there all along. He allowed it to happen, as painful as that is to think about.

    I just cannot wait until we are on the other side of the rainbow ... with our pot of gold. Whatever that is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally get all of it! I have really only been "in treatment" for about 3 months, this being my 3rd month and I can't hang. I feel desperate to let it all go at once and say I don't want kids. Now my ovaries hurt so bad it takes my breath away and I think I guess that five days of heck was worth it.

    But I wonder to when it is time to move on and just live life. Stop worrying about it and if it happens it happens.

    You have adoption to prepare for and so I think that having a means to the end is a lot easier then having no adoption to look forward to. :) Not saying that your situation is better then mine at all. I hope you get what I mean. :) hehe

    I am over it. But when do I say enough, because I just got better and now we are working on getting my body to function.

    My hope for you is that this new change will take hold and you will be able to run with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes a lot of sense to me too. I think I may be around one bend from right where you're standing. On the one hand, I'm *just* starting treatment for the first time. On the other hand, I'm going on four years of IF. Maybe all God wanted was for me to give in and take some medicine. But in my heart, I'm just taking the tamoxifen so I can cross it off the list. It won't work, although it probably should. I've theoretically put off the surgery so I can see whether the tamoxifen works, per Dr. L (first name, not last - and, it makes perfect sense that there wouldn't be TWO NaPro clinics so close together!), but when the time comes to quit the tamoxifen ('cause it will make my endo go nuts), I don't know whether I'll be willing to do surgery again, unless it is medically necessary, IF or no IF. I had one and it didn't help. I took lupron and it didn't help. I prayed and it didn't help. It's unhealthy to get cut open all the time, and if I let them and it doesn't help, I know I'll be really angry. I feel as though I owe it to myself to try a treatment or two, but ultimately, what I need to learn to do is face a life without children, and hope that God in His spare time has cobbled together some pathetic hobby horse of a substitute vocation for me. I'm going to have to learn to make it look good. And I have TWENTY-FIVE YEARS till (average onset of) menopause. That sounds like forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am definitely on the side of the hill going down too. I know what you mean. I'm just doing the injectibles to say "Hey, we tried that." Cross it off the list. I'm older so my time is actually running out. I don't want another Lap surg....I just don't. I made it through one. That's good enough. Sure, the dr found other issues while he was in there...but does that really offer us hope? Some but I do know it's in God's hands...I'm working on accepting His will everyday, every time a dr gives us hope..etc, etc. IF is a journey and someday it will end...with a child or not. I know my vocation is to be a good, dedicated teacher...for now..that is all I have. Blessings and prayers to you while you embark on the journey of discerning our Lord's will for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in that too of just not doing anything drastic ( medically speaking) with my IF...and I too feel like this is the road HE is leading me on...and your right now matter whats meds we do or dont take or what side of the mountain we are on that doesn't change our God and how mighty HE is!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some days it feels like freaking Mount Everest I'm climbing, and I'm only at basecamp 1!! And then other days it feels like an endless desert plateau. No ups. No downs. Just stagnant, with no progress whatsoever, regardless of how fast I may be running.

    I can see what you're saying about coming down the hill. And I see how it is not at all easier than going up (in fact, it's probably tougher).

    I begged God last night to send me one of the babies who was going to be aborted. I don't care if he sends it to my womb or to someone else's who will choose for me to adopt it, but I just CANNOT handle abortion anymore at this stage of my IF. (Not that it was ever tolerable, but you kwim...) I am just SO MAD at HOW MANY BABIES are murdered when there are couples like you and R out there so desperately trying everything you can to bring life into the world.

    I'm also really mad that my prayers were not answered for all of you guys. Like I told St. Gianna, I don't mind carrying this cross longer, and falling more often, if I can see others' crosses lifted. And then what happened to Life in Mazes? And LH's procedure? And all of the rest of you, still struggling so much...? WHERE ARE THE FRUITS OF YOUR CROSSES??!!!

    I'm just so mad :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I get where you are at, too. DH and I have decided that we are not going to do anymore surgeries/procedures that this calendar year. There is peace, anger, relief, and grief all associated with that decision.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow- everyone is writing such thorough comments, I feel insufficient for wanting to say that I will continue to pray for you on this journey. Any runner will tell you that going downhill is sometimes harder than uphill, despite the fact that it seems it would be way easier. I think it's only natural to work through the gamut of emotions that are related to surrendering a desire of a biological child, so I don't think you should feel apologetic about expressing them in your writing. I pray that you will feel God on your journey to your little one- that He reveals His awesome plans sooner than later!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i so get this post. although in reality i can't possibly even think of conceiving with my messed up girl parts, i often feel like just packing it all in. i'm tired of going to doctors, taking medicine, taking supplements, and even though i'm not doing it now, charting. i have not been doing a very good job at leaving it all up to god, not at all.

    part of me thinks that i just want to give up now because i know i won't be able to handle it if we don't conceive after surgery. making a baby has been our big focus for almost four years and i don't know how much more heartbreak that i can take before i lose my mind.

    but i keep coming back to the fact that we wouldn't be trying this hard if we weren't meant to be parents. there has to be something that i'm supposed to learn from IF. perhaps it's finally getting healthy and not having to deal with horrible pain each month. perhaps IF is helping me strengthen my faith. i really don't know.

    i need to find hope somewhere, but right now i feel like i'm wallowing in a pit of despair. i've never been one to give up, but the more i think about it, the more it starts to make sense.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete