Saturday, January 3, 2009

Question

So my period only lasted three days. Does anyone know what this may mean? Googling doesn't really come up with much, other than that 3-10 days is considered normal. That's fine, but in someone with infertility, who has never had a cycle shorter than five days, it might mean something is up. And I'm actually not being a pessimist. I'm hoping it means that things are just regulating themselves. I'm not sure why that would cause a short period, but I'm trying to be positive! 

It got off to a pretty normal start. The first day was light, second was heavy and third was medium. And today...nothing. I did start the Tamoxifen yesterday. Could that stop my period? 

I also haven't had any extra stress, no changes in my diet, and no changes in medication other than starting Tamoxifen.

I don't mean to sound like I am stressing over this. I'm really not! But I think you can all understand why any change like this would peak my interest. Anything new and different is interesting. Please let me know if you have any insight!

11 comments:

  1. Huh. That seems weird. I'm not sure what it could mean! Honestly, if I were in this situation, I would probably take a pregnancy test just to be sure it wasn't unusually heavy implantation bleeding before taking the next dose. (I did have implantation bleeding on P+13 this time, but it was VL and brown and lasted one day.) The nurses told me not to take letrozole each cycle until I had heavy bleeding, so the heavy day argues against it being implantation bleeding. I'd probably do it just to be absolutely sure, since I know of women who have had what they thought was a period and it turned out they were pregnant, and you'd definitely want to stop the tamoxifen if you were pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would check and make sure you're not pregnant and this wasn't implantation bleeding- which usually lasts about 3-5 days. It was probably just a short period, but since it wasn't typical for your cycles I would just make sure before taking another dose of the tamoxifen. That would give me peace of mind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, I didn't mean ususally lasts 3-5 days, but can last that long and be mistaken for a short period- but I'm sure you know all this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I just took a pregnancy test so I could take my second dose of Tamoxifen. It was negative, and I also noticed spotting after taking it (of course...after I took it). So in the end, this will be charted as 4 red stickers (the last day being VL, I'm assuming), which isn't abnormal at all, yet still a change for me. But Hafsa.. I hope you're right and maybe this is the new normal! Maybe less heavy bleeding is a move in the right direction?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My first thought was pregnancy, too. But now you've answered that with the test. Interestingly, my period is getting LONGER! This cycle it lasted almost 9 days. What the heck?? I was still bleeding when I started my injectables! Crazy.

    Who knows what this could mean? I have almost (well not really) given up trying to analyze it all. Every time I think I know something, mother nature shuts me down and throws me another curve ball!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oops I meant to leave that last comment under LifeHopes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I started having shorter periods and lighter periods and my practitioner said that as long as their is one heavy day then i should be fine and it was still normal.
    I too hope it's a sign of your period regulating and your hormones working really fine!!!
    By-the-way I can totally understand your wanting to know what's going on if some change takes place. I can't wait till february so i can ask my dr. why i had 14 days of red stickers!!! it's a first for me and it stressed me out .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok here's my thought, it's possible since you've lost so much weight and are skinny that you have shorter periods! I have a few friends who are thin and have about 4 day periods, some that are so thin they really don't have periods at all. So this is possibly just your body's new 3 day period. I would probably talk to your doctor, just to be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I personally think it is a combination of the weight loss and your body regulating. I at first thought implantation, but you sorted that one out. I hope mine regualte soon too! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. If I remember correctly, I think that happened to me when I first started taking Letrozole back in April. Which I think they might be along the same thing...They block estrogen in cancer patients. I am going to get my chart. It's a sympto thermal chart but maybe it will help.

    But it looks like every third day I started Letrozole I was spotting.

    So if this is the only thing that was different in your cycle. I think it would be safe to say it is the new drug and not your body still regulating. I think it is just the effect of the drug, truthfully. :) Especially since it abrubtly quit, and now it is starting to slightly come back. :)

    Here is to a BURST of estrongen at time of ovulation! ;) I wouldn't worry.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm like, who is Patrick Jr. and why does he get a period? Haha!

    ReplyDelete