Sunday, January 25, 2009

Leaving tomorrow

I'm leaving tomorrow morning to head to New York. The funeral isn't until Saturday, with the calling hours Friday night, but since I have no obligations here I wanted to go as soon as I could. Ryan was able to take one day off and is going to drive up Friday night.

Today I edited a video that I had been putting off for months. I shot video at my grandparents' 60th anniversary party in July, and despite my mom telling me my grandmother wanted to see it, I never put it together. I'm just so thankful that I remembered this morning that the tape was still sitting there in our office. I would have been so upset if I'd realized it on my way north tomorrow or something, when it would have been too late.

So I edited a nine-and-a-half minute movie of the party, complete with a tearful surprise visit from my grandmother's brother (who has also since passed away) who she hadn't seen in a while, a surprise family musical performance, and a speech from my grandmother that has already become legendary (she used the line "marriage isn't for sissies," which brought the house down).

It's not easy to watch, but, as my mother said after she watched it, it's just nice to have actual video of her, to see her talking and laughing. At least we won't ever forget the sound of her voice this way, that's for sure.

She just looks so beautiful in the video and is so full of life. Her death was just so sudden.

I can't thank you all enough for your prayers. You are so sweet. Know that you are in mine, too.

15 comments:

  1. It sounds like your grandmother is leaving behind quite a legacy. And what a gift to your family that you have put together this video.

    Ryan and I will keep thinking and praying for you and yours this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She sounds like she was such a wonderful lady. Blessings and prayers to you and all who knew her. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to read of your grandma's passing. Please know that you and your family are in my prayers, as well as your grandma as she finds her way into the very arms of Jesus Himself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a safe trip! I'm sure your family will love having you there for a week. We'll keep your grandmother in our prayers. That is a beautiful picture of her that you shared with us. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending more prayers your way. I am so sorry for your loss. I didn't have the chance to know any of my grandparents well. I hope that you and your family can treasure all the wonderful moments you shared with her - especially that party! I pray that you are filled with God's peace and consolation during this week at home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad you are able to be with your family all week. If your family's wakes are like mine, they are filled with love, laughter and sadness all at the same time. May this week be a celebration of her life and I am sure your video will be just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. have a safe trip home. my family tries to use any occasion -- happy or sad -- to celebrate, hopefully yours is the same way.

    i'm so glad that you have the video of your grandmother. what a great momento and a great way to remember her.

    you are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Karey she is so beautiful, and looked so young in this picture! I can now see why she never felt old enough to qualify for the senior discounts!

    I am just so sorry about all of this. praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope that the funeral Mass and wake are cathartic for you. They were for me.
    Your grandmother will be so happy to know that you are celebrating her life and death, and not JUST mourning.
    At the end of the eulogy that my sister prepared for my Grandma, she said that one of her friends from church (a VERY devout Catholic woman) heard about our grandmother's passing, and put it best. Her words were, "Way to go, Rose. You made it!"
    I think that's the reaction we should all have. Of course, there will be tears, and they'll come and go. (I broke down 2 days ago when I went to call my Grandma and tell her that her favorite episode of Raymond was on- the one in Italy.) But that's to be expected. She is a beautiful soul, and will live on in paradise until you meet her there one day.

    We'll miss you while you're gone. I would love to hear how everything goes, once you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an adorable photo of your grandparents. Your grandmother sounds like she was quite a woman. And treasure that video!

    ReplyDelete
  11. (((hugs))) I am so sorry for your loss, but it sounds like she lived a life well worth celebrating...

    Praying for you and your family as you celebrate her life...

    ReplyDelete
  12. hey... you' just got a shout out on a popular Catholic blog... thought you'd like to know. http://patentsgirl.blogspot.com/2009/01/calling-all-young-professional-catholic.html

    Also... I'm continuing to pray for you... hang in there, dear one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry to hear of your loss.

    I just recently found your blog randomly.

    I am almost 32, have two children on earth, lost two to miscarriage, and lost 2 through failed adoptions. I was diagnosed with PCOS after my children were born. (So I had no problems conceiving them) I am interested in connecting with you on this whole issue.

    Peace be with you as you travel to be with family at this time of grieving.

    In Him,
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a sweet way to remember her. Blessings and peace to you, your grandpa and your entire family.

    Now your grandmother is another angel for you in heaven as you pray and hope each day.

    ReplyDelete