Sunday, October 5, 2008

The God of peace

Well it's officially cycle day one.

As for details, the cycle lasted 24 days and went eleven days post peak. That's a pattern lately, I seem to have had an eleven day luteal phase for a few cycles in a row. So now I'm left wondering what was with all this strange spotting this cycle; overall there was less of it, but this time it was on strange days.

The good news is tomorrow is my doctor's appointment. I think later today I'll post all my questions I'm coming up with for him, and then I'll print them out so I can take them with me.

So, the second reading at Mass this weekend really struck me. I think us infertile women - at least the ones struggling, and isn't that all of us? - can take something from it.

Phil 4:6-9
Brothers and sisters: Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. Keep on doing what you have learned and received and heard and seen in me. Then the God of peace will be with you.

I like practical advice. Paul here tells us everything to do:
1) Do not have anxiety.
2) Approach the Lord with thanksgiving, thanking him for all he has blessed us with.
3) Ask the Lord for what you want.
4) He may not give you what you want, but have peace knowing you've prayed about it. We can relax and know it is in his hands.
5) I the meantime, think positively. Focus on the good things God has created and given you.
6) Keep plugging along. Do what you know you should be doing as a Christian, and you will have peace.

I will try to do this, but it's hard. Number one means I can't worry about the possibility of never getting pregnant, how depressed I will be with my life, whether I am doing the right thing, etc., etc. That's not easy. I don't do enough of number two. I try to thank God but it's probably forced; I hurry through it to get to my requests, because that's what I'm there for. I know number four is true, and recently a friend really showed me this by example. It's still difficult to reach that level of understanding, but I'm going to try. I don't do nearly enough of number five, and I bet anything that it works. Maybe I'll really try this one.

Let's face it, when I take God's advice it always works. So why am I hesitant every time? Trust, I guess, and this stupid humanness that gets in the way.

Well I've gotta go get ready for a walk. I'm trying to lose a couple more pounds before my doctor's appointment tomorrow and my official weigh-in. It's definitely not going to help that I'll probably be bloated now!

8 comments:

  1. I just want you to know how much I admire you for sharing your journey and sharing your faith, too. When I stop by your blog, I read about a young woman who is trying to put her faith in the forefront of her life. God will bless that! Hang in there. Good things are in store for those who believe.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your insights on today's reading... I had very similar thoughts to yours! Since I sang for two Masses this morning I actually got to hear it twice and both times I was struck by the advice Paul gives. Isn't it amazing how it's the simple messages that can be so difficult to actually live out? I too am striving to work on your list of six things.
    I pray that you will feel God's peace today as you deal with cycle day one and tomorrow at your appointment. Hopefully you're looking forward to going out to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That reading (the first few verses anyway) is framed and mounted at Dr. J G-T's office... actually, in the u/s room, where you would have been when you saw her :) I read it every time I'm there, and it's so comforting, isn't it?

    I can't wait for your DA tomorrow! I am really interested to see what's going on with the spotting, etc. Maybe low progesterone?? That could account for the TEBB, too. I hope it gets sorted out, hon! GL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post, thank you so much for sharing. That verse has meant a lot to me and the way you broke it down was helpful. I am such a worrier by nature and as a Christian I know we are supposed to give it up and be thankful in everything. It is hard, but all I can do is know that God's power in me in greater than my own. Thank goodness I don't have to rely on myself because I fail EVERY time.

    I can't wait to hear about your Dr.'s appointment! -Ne

    ReplyDelete
  5. TCIE - Oh my goodness, you're right! When I read that in the u/s room it really moved me, and I tried to memorize it so that I could write it down later, but of course I forgot what it said and where it was from. Thanks for reminding me!

    By the way, what does TEBB stand for? I couldn't figure it out, so I just had to ask!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope the doctor's appointment went well!

    I looked into PJPIV before I talked to my OB, but couldn't find anyone nearby (I checked another site though and it looks like there's a creighton teacher an hour away). I'd rather do that of course, I can't afford to pay anything out of pocket, though. I need to email them and find out what the cost is. Anything that requires restricting food is just hard right now, money is very tight and we have to utilize the food bank to help make ends meet, so I don't have a lot of control of what's available to me. Anyway, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry that the cycle ended.

    I prayed for you this morning in mass, and I trust that He will carry you through this.

    I agree -- the scripture was perfect for us this morning. It has always been one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry to hear that this cycle wasn't "the one". Thank you also for your breakdown of this passage-it is one I often think about but I like the way you broke it down into easy to understand statements.

    I also just wanted to say that God spoke to me today as well about my worry so when I read this I was kind of hit over the head again! (I started to type out all that I had learned today because I was eager to share, but decided to save it for my next blog post!) :)

    I will be praying that your appointment goes well tomorrow and you get all your questions answered.

    ReplyDelete