Thursday, October 2, 2008

More random thoughts

Some good news is putting me in a good mood today! I am only 1.6 lbs away from my goal weight. This is huge, because for basically the entire month of September I had plateaued. Then October rolls around and the weight is flying off. I love October!

I'm not sure why this is happening, other than I have recently become obsessed with strawberries. I eat them several times a day, and, I have to admit, sometimes I even melt some dark chocolate and dip them in. It's heavenly. So if strawberries and chocolate have made all the difference, then I can live with that.

In cycle news, I haven't seen any spotting since Wednesday. I have had some other weird symptoms, though. My left leg aches. Now, usually before I get my period, both legs ache. It's sort of a lack-of-blood-flow kind of feeling, at least that's what I think. But this time it's only my left leg and it's more of a nerve feeling. I can feel the pain go around the outside of my thigh and then all the way down my shin. It's worse when I stand, and I've been noticing it especially during the hour I stand at the abortion clinic each day. I don't personally think it's some kind of sciatica thing, especially since my husband just went through that (who knows, though, it's probably not related to my cycle at all. I could get a hang nail and think it's cycle-related!). The other symptom I'm having is pain near where I assume my left ovary is located. I guess it could be some other internal organ, but I doubt it. It's a somewhat constant aching feeling and sometimes it spreads to both sides, but is mainly on just the left.

I'm not sure what these symptoms mean (and they probably just mean I'm about to get my period), but they're new and worth noting, I guess.

While I'm trying to convince myself that my cycle is about to end, usually I wouldn't see weight loss during that time. I get bloated and my weight usually plateaus the week before. So maybe I do have some time left. It is only day 22, after all. And also, my bbt is still up. It's been at 98.2 since my peak day.

What I do know is that when this cycle does come to an end, I'm going out to eat and getting chicken fingers. Is she going to cheat, you ask? No! For all you low G.I.-ers out there, Un.o's chicken fingers are pretty low in fat, calories, sugar and carbs (and there are other menu items that are good as well. I'm always looking for good restaurant options!). So at least I have that to look forward to!

Oh, and my doctor's appointment is now just around the corner. Four days and counting! I'm going to work on putting together a list of questions, so maybe I'll post them here. I realized today, though, that Monday won't be a huge appointment because it will be mainly for testing to see if the metformin has been working. We won't know any good news or bad news (which is good because we're meeting friends for dinner afterwards and I'd hate to do that if I just learned I was completely barren!). But I love anything that furthers this journey, so I'm totally looking forward to Monday.

One more thing - please pray for a girl named Kendra. She was walking into the abortion clinic right as I was leaving two days ago, and another 40 Days for Life volunteer had a chance to talk with her. The girl was two months along and so the woman showed her a pamphlet with photos at every stage of development. She was able to flip through and find what her baby looks like right now. The girl started crying and told her she was thinking about not having it now. She still went in the clinic for an ultrasound (they don't show the girls the picture, though, not surprisingly) and told the volunteer she'd call her yesterday. I don't know what ended up happening, but if you could say a prayer for her, that'd be great.

And speaking of 40 Days for Life, I just want to add how awesome it is that so many of our volunteers are young women, just like myself (yes, I consider my 31 years old young!). I think it says something, not only to those going in (that hopefully they can relate to them more than an old man) but also to those driving by. We're not weirdos and freaks! We are just like you and your friends. We're NORMAL! Anyways, just wanted to share that!

7 comments:

  1. Yay! Congratulations on the weight loss! You really are impressive!

    I know that sometimes it can be annoying when someone else keeps being overly hopeful for you, but I just feel so hopeful for you right now. I will be so happy when I finally get that good news post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what are they testing on this new appt?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just said a prayer to my friend St. Therese for Kendra and her baby :) She'll take care of them both.

    Mmmm... chicken fingers. I have decided to throw my entire "diet" away lately, since I assume I can't get pg until after the infection is gone anyway. So, I had been basically vegetarian (The Fertility Diet), and OH.MY. is meat not the most wonderful thing in the WORLD??!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barbie - My dr. will test to see if the metformin is working, which I assume means he'll test my Lh and FSH, to see what the ratio is. It should be 1:1 and it's 2:1 or higher in cases of PCOS. He might test to see if it's helped my insulin resistance, but since he never tested that pre-medication, I doubt it.

    This Cross I Embrace - That's too funny! It sure is yummy, though, especially with lots of fried coating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're so wonderful!!
    I wish I could meet you!

    Prayers!

    How's your friend holding up?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shannon - You're so sweet! We'll meet someday, I'm sure!

    My friend sent me a quick email last night, and said it was difficult, but that they have peace because they prayed so much. She's really a strong person, and an inspiration for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job on the weight loss! Praying for Kendra and her baby. Also for you girlie, I can't wait to see what's going on with you! Hugs!
    ~Jenileigh

    ReplyDelete