I still can't believe today that my hormones have corrected themselves. It seems so surreal!
It is just so amazing that this can be corrected with diet. Yes, I am also on metformin, but my doctor is convinced that this is due in no small part to my diet and weight loss.
So if you are reading this and have PCOS, why not give it a try? If you're in need of some encouragement, here are my top ten reasons I think you should go low G.I.:
- You can correct your screwed up hormones (no offense, I'm sure your hormones are lovely, but you know what I mean).
- You can feel better physically (less fatigue, more energy).
- You can feel like you are actually doing something to help your fertility (if you're like me, this is great while you're anxiously awaiting that next doctor's appointment).
- You can lose tons of weight!
- You can buy all new clothes (I know this might be a negative if money is an issue, but I also now find enjoyment from just trying clothes on and not buying them!).
- You can fit in your skinny clothes (it helps financially if you saved them, as long as they're not totally out of style. Some of mine definitely were).
- It may seem like you have to give up all yummy food, but that is not the case. I promise.
- Did I mention you can lose tons of weight?
- No matter what, you'll be much healthier (PCOS does put us at risk for diabetes and heart disease, after all).
- You might end up pregnant! Isn't that why we're all here??
I know it was by the grace of God that I was able to pull this off. I don't take that for granted or credit myself. While I was complaining about the Lord not hearing my prayers, he was blessing me in this way - with will power, with the ability to be satisfied with low G.I. foods, with quick weight loss. For me, the motivation to get pregnant surpassed everything else.
I am so thankful that I found my doctor and that he very matter-of-factly told me to start this diet immediately upon leaving his office. It is so apparent that God was involved every step of the way. So maybe God is using me to encourage one of you to do this as well!
I'm sorry for always talking about my diet. It probably is getting annoying! But I wanted to show you one more thing - a before and after picture of my weight loss (I take one every month and wear the same clothes every time, although in this most recent one I had to switch to different jeans since the others were too big):

It's not as dramatic as it could be because the one on the left is from almost two months into the diet, after I'd already lost 17 pounds, but you get the point. I wish I'd taken one at the very beginning to show the full 35 pounds (and counting) I've lost, but at that point I wasn't really into posing for full-body photos!
Well, gotta go do some baking. Yes, you can still bake (and eat the results) on this diet!
Wow!!!! You look great!
ReplyDeleteAnd McCain is doing GREAT!!!!!!
Wow! Those are incredible changes! And 18 pounds isn't a horribly large number of pounds to lose, either (not like, say, 60...) So it's a goal within reach and with amazing results! Great idea to do the photos in the same clothes each month.
ReplyDeleteAmazing!!! You did such a great job! Nothing taste as good as thin feels!!!!
ReplyDeleteI know you don't need advice on diet or anything and I promise I am not giving you advice!! :) I wanted to tell you about a low GI bread I found. It is made of all grains and is unlike any other bread you have ever tasted. I think its more like the bread they talk about in the bible, because it's dense. It is so dense I sometimes eat it as a meal. It's called Sprouted Grain bread, don't let the name fool you, because its yummy! Anyway, it can be found in the freezer of your health food section in your grocery store. It's pricey, but easily justified. Because its so filling. Here is an excerpt from a book I am reading. It is so amazing!
ReplyDeleteThe Benefits of Sprouted Grain Breads and Flours:
The sprouting process converts the natural starches in the grains into digestible, simple vegetable sugars so your body recognizes and digests sprouted breads, flours, and pastas as a vegetable!
“The process of germination not only produces Vitamin C, but also changes the composition of grain and seeds in numerous beneficial ways. Sprouting increases Vitamin B content, especially B2, B5, and B6. Carotene increases dramatically – sometimes eightfold. Even more important, sprouting neutralizes phytic acid, a substance present in the bran of all grains that inhibits absorption of calcium, magnesium, iron, copper and zinc; sprouting also neutralizes enzyme inhibitors present in all seeds. These inhibitors can neutralize our own precious enzymes in the digestive tract.
Complex sugars responsible for intestinal gas are broken down during sprouting, and a portion of the starch in grain is transformed into sugar. Sprouting inactivates aflatoxins, potent carcinogens found in grains. Finally, numerous enzymes that help digestion are produced during the germination process.” (The previous is an excerpt from page 112 of Nourishing Traditions, by Sally Fallon).
Woo Hoo!!!
ReplyDeleteHopefully we will soon be seeing some belly pics of you:)
WOW! Well done!!!!
ReplyDeleteawesome, good job!!
ReplyDeleteI'm going to take a picture of my before and after too, nice idea!!
p.s. I love your enchilada recipe, the cream cheese makes it really yummy!!
Wow! Okay-I'm getting back on the wagon. I had a horrible Monday. I went to a Fall Festival and ate everything! I felt horrible after. You are totally right about how your body feels better and being less tired when you eat how you are supposed to on the PCOS diet.
ReplyDeleteHey There!
ReplyDeleteI'm sooooo incredibly happy that your blood work turned out 100% great! What an answer to prayer! Hooray for all your hard work!
You look seriously FABULOUS! I want to give this a shot post-baby. For now, all I can shove in my mouth is totally greasy and carb-laden. :)
ReplyDeleteOh yeah! So happy for you. You look fab!
ReplyDeleteYou look awesome! That was just the motivation I needed today when all I want to do is go eat a brownie, haha. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteHave you tried any of the recipes in the GI diet book you recommended? I made the fruit muffins the other day and they are really good, but i think i put a little too much splenda. I'm going to try the bars next!
ReplyDeleteThanks, you guys!!
ReplyDeleteBecky T - I haven't tried that recipe, but I think my sister and/or mom did and said it was good. I will have to try it. The only other recipe I've tried from the book is the berry crumble, which I have an altered version of in my own recipes. Let me know if you find any other good ones!
you look completely amazing!!!!!!
ReplyDeletewow!!!