Friday, October 10, 2008

The calling of compassion

I heard something the other day that struck me, but before I say what it was, I should point out that I have no idea where I heard it. It could have been on one of your blogs (I apologize, if that is the case), on T.V., in real life, or maybe even in a dream. I have a hazy memory of it with images, so I'm leaning towards T.V. or dream.

So, anyways, a man was talking about a woman who had gone through some sort of struggle and said that at least it allowed her to have compassion for others. That, of course, got me thinking.

I'm always wondering why God wants me to bear this cross. The "why" has been so important to me. I wonder if I'll find out one day, if I'll look back on it years from now and it will all make sense, or if I won't have answers until I'm in heaven, if I'm blessed enough to make it there. But what if the answer all along was that I'm going through infertility in order to have compassion for others, and nothing else?

At first it might sound simple, too simple to be the answer we might want to hear. It always seems better when I imagine that this is all part of some grand plan of God's, one that has several layers and intricate associations. But it may, in fact, be just about compassion. And isn't that enough?

If God were here today and asked me himself to go through infertility just to have greater compassion for others, would I say no? Would I tell him that was silly? Or try to convince him there was another, easier, way to learn that same compassion?

The truth is he is here today, asking that of me. And quite often I tell him no, it's not a good enough reason. But I think I need to start thinking about it from his perspective.

According to an online dictionary, the definition of compassion is the "sympathetic consciousness of others' distress together with a desire to alleviate it."* It's not just a matter of having sympathy, but the desire to actively alleviate the suffering of others.

Christ gave us the ultimate example of compassion. He died on the cross for our sins to alleviate our ultimate suffering. With that in mind, when he says 'take up your cross and follow me', he's asking us, among other things, to have the same profound desire to alleviate the sufferings of others as he did. In this sense, taking up our cross means more than just being patient or not complaining, it means actively helping to alleviate the suffering of others.

Most of us are probably already doing this by chance, just out of the sheer need to help ourselves. I didn't set out to blog in order to help anyone else, but rather for selfish reasons - to find out information about, at that time, my upcoming surgery (and it's debatable if my rants and complaining help anyone anyway). But is there any one of us who wouldn't sit and counsel someone with infertility who wants our help? Do those of us who have discovered NaPro not want to shout it from the rooftops so others can discover it, too? It's now a natural response to helps others, because we know just how much this hurts.

But not until just now did I even think of compassion in the sense that it may be what we are called to by God. It may be the reason for all of this.

So is it enough? Would I be satisfied if God, himself, were to tell me the sole reason for my infertility is for me to feel compassion towards others and to, along the way, possibly help alleviate some of their suffering? Well, it'd be easy to tell him yes to his face, since it'd be a miraculous experience and all! But more importantly, is it enough of a reason if there is no miraculous experience, and this journey of infertility never makes sense otherwise? The answer has to be yes. We are called to follow Christ and to love our fellow man. And if God sees fit to give me a heart for doing just that, then who am I to complain?


*There's also an interesting link to the latin root pati. It means suffering, and is found in both the words 'patience' and 'compassion'. Isn't that neat? I didn't really know either of those words were connected to suffering before suffering became such a big part of my life!

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful post... thank you for sharing your faith... and your compassion... (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow..great post. I think we all struggle with the "why" of our suffering. I know I do-some days more than others. I feel guilty sometimes that I cannot accept whatever the reason is that my husband and I are going through infertility. However, in my guilt, I often think of Jesus' agony in the garden:

    "Father, if you are willing, take this cup away from me; still, not my will but yours be done." And to strengthen him an angel from heaven appeared to him. He was in such agony and he prayed so fervently that his sweat became like drops of blood falling on the ground." (Luke 22:42-44)

    Here, Jesus, who was both fully human and fully divine, AGONIZED over the suffering he was about to endure. Even JESUS asked God to take his suffering away, but similar to what Mary had said to the angel Gabriel, Jesus surrendered by saying "not my will but yours be done." That is the part that I am struggling with...the acceptance of God's will (especially if it isn't seemingly in line with mine.)

    As I read your blog about compassion, I immediately thought of a situation that I encountered this week. I was at a meeting for work, and one of my co-workers who is in her 60's, said she was going to her daughter-in-law's ultrasound. (Things like that always seem to pierce my heart momentarily.) She went on to say that her daughter-in-law was very nervous as she had lost her first baby at 6 months of gestation. She had to be in labor for 24 hours and then give birth to her baby, although it had already died. I refer to the baby as "it" because she said that both the parents and the grandparents didn't want to see or hold the baby. I wanted to cry. I felt this overwhelming emotion that I wanted to hold and hug that poor baby. I can't imagine the emotional and psychological (much less physical) toll that woman went through, but to ignore the baby? I don't know. I just felt immediate compassion for both the mother and the baby. Sometimes I feel as though going through infertility is a mourning process.

    On another point, while I have always declared myself pro-life, I feel like my experience with infertility has challenged me to really prove my convictions. Some people seem to think "pro-life" just means having lots of babies. Therefore, I sometimes get questioned by people why I won't do IVF in order to have a child. I find myself being put in a position to defend God's gift of life, without even realizing it. Perhaps God is calling us to be witnesses to that fact that, as much as we want children, we are not willing to sacrifice the sactity of life in order achieve pregnancy. That is how MUCH we respect the sactity of life.

    It's funny, I just read over my own comments before posting them (and I apologize for it being so long), but I realized that I am in my own "agony in the garden." It's like I know theologically how to explain my situation, but my true acceptance and heart's conviction of that explanation is not there yet.

    Sorry this was such a long post. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Infertility has tought me alot about myself and compassion was one of the hardest things to admit that i never really had. But you are right i am learning to have compassion and it just sucks to know that i didn't have it before. But God is merciful and everything has its purpose.
    Peace of Christ!
    eilyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post once again!! Kristin posted a great comment, I connect with the agony in the garden. I ran into a sitaution just recently. I was torn because a few months ago I planned a baby shower with a friend from church. But leading up to the baby shower, I had to back out. (what was I thinking???) I still paid my part, went to her house and set up, but was unable to attend. Thank goodness it wasn't a HUGE shower, but that is besides the point. I was afraid of my emotions and how I might react. One who is not IF might not understand scratching open the wound of grief.

    I am not sure if it was the right decision or not, to back out. But I have learned that I can't do them anymore, and maybe this time I learned a little too late.

    But speaking of compassion. I don't always in every situation treat people and their situations with compassion, especially when I do not understand them. At this time I was seeking understanding and compassion from someone that was unable to meet me in the middle. Someone that was unable to understand my inability and grief not to be there. It was a learning experience for me and I remembered when I have not been compassionate to others, in my own ignorance and selfishness.

    Kristin, I think you are so right about suffering and not understanding our cross of IF. And even if we disagree at times or even most of the time, our actions speak louder than words. And I think that is what matters. We could easily be sitting in an IVF clinic, sipping on hormones. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post :) S'all I've gotta say!

    And along with "pati" meaning suffering, you also have the "com" or "con" which means WITH. So there you have it. Suffering WITH another. And in doing so, alleviating the weight of the cross you bear together.

    BTW, silly girl, you have helped me tremendously, and you continue to do so :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that is a beautiful way to think of it! And I have to say just from my short time of knowing you and your blog - you are a wonderful faith-filled woman full of great compassion for others. Truly a blessing to all of us who read your beautiful insightful blog posts.

    P.S. A little chocolate never hurt anybody. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am right there with you on the whole wanting to know why I must walk the road of infertility. It also makes me feel like I am not good enough a lot of the time because that just means God must be trying to teach me something that I haven't passed yet.

    And it's funny you mentioned compassion as being one possible reason of going through infertility since that is what my husband always tells me and I can't always accept that as THE reason.

    ReplyDelete