Thanks, everyone, for your prayers. We are still hoping for a miracle. And God is good, so hopefully good can come from every negative situation.
***
So it's been about five days now that I've been feeling really out of it (sorry, can I complain any more about this?). I'm definitely blaming the met at this point, but it's just not what I expected. I was afraid of feeling nauseous, or having some kind of g.i. upset. Instead, I feel faint and shaky, have abdominal pains, and while I don't have a stomach ache, little food is appetizing to me. I also had muscle cramps in my leg and arm yesterday.
I will gladly go through this - or much worse - for a pregnancy. I'm not complaining about it as much as I am just wondering what it is.
So here's my little self-diagnosis for today: Due to a slight aversion to food lately, coupled with not having a lot of groceries in the house, I am eating far less than normal. This has perhaps led to my blood sugar being too low, hence the shaky feeling, and possible even the muscle cramps (that can happen when you're not eating enough, right?). I am also probably not drinking enough water, which can also add to the symptoms. Anyway, this could be very wrong, medically speaking, but I don't have any better ideas. Unless, maybe these are just normal side effects of the met. Anyway, I'll try to eat more throughout the day today (not a statement I have probably ever typed) to see if it helps, but right now we just finished our daily walk and I don't have enough energy to get up and get food. (And as a side-note, in typical "me" fashion, I momentarily thought I had a potential fatal side-effect of met. It wasn't completely out of the blue, because symptoms include sore muscles, abdominal pain and lightheadedness. Okay, as I type that I am still wondering if I do have it! My mother, though, told me it sounds like I have medical student syndrome. I prefer to call it heavily-medicated-and-nearly-four-years-in infertility patient syndrome.)
I am also having good mucus and today will hopefully be the fifth fertile day so far. My temp is still down, and actually dropped a little more today so hopefully it's getting ready for a nice, big spike. I am also down another couple pounds, to 18 pounds total. My husband is still going strong, too, and today he made the cutest observation. As he was getting ready for work he commented about how great it is that his pants are never tight anymore and that "this is totally worth not eating potato chips." That is huge for my husband! He LOVES himself some potato chips.
In a completely unrelated topic, here's my moral question for the day: Is it wrong to not answer the door when someone knocks on it? A group of people were just going door to door probably selling something and when they got to mine, I acted like I wasn't here. And then another person in the group knocked five minutes later, and, again, I pretended like I wasn't here. Part of me feels like this is sinful, that I am lying. The main reason I did it is because I feel like I'm always hearing stories on the news about people knocking on doors and then forcing themselves into the house and robbing the person. I am home alone and I just don't feel comfortable answering the door. But is that a good enough reason? Do I need to confess it? On one hand, you could say it's no different than letting a call go to your voicemail, right?
Alright, that's it for now. I'm off to write a reference letter for a friend's adoption. They're adopting a baby from Ethiopia, which is something I'd totally be interested in if it didn't involve flying to Ethiopia. My husband, meanwhile, thinks that's a reason to do it.
Thursday, July 3, 2008
Still feeling out of it
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I completely agree with your self-diagnosis. I could definitely tell when my blood sugar got too low. I kind of think of the met as little vacuum cleaners going around sucking up the extra sugars in my blood. If there's not extra sugars to begin with, it starts to suck up the ones that I need, and that's when I notice that I feel shaky, light-headed, anxious, and sometimes crabby. Usually I reach for some carbs, which sounds counter-intuitive, but a piece of toast has just enough sugar in it to balance me back out and ease my tummy. A piece of fruit or a candy bar sometimes sends me the other way, with way too much sugar too fast and then I get a headache.
ReplyDeleteI like your self-diagnosis if you like mine. :) *hugs*
Hi, I'm a new reader to your blog, lurking around. I want to comment on a couple of points you bring up. First, is it OK to not answer the door when someone rings your doorbell? I think yes. Otherwise, we are slaves to everyone wanting to make demands on our time. But, that's also an introvert's answer.
ReplyDeleteSecond, you mentioned some day being interested in adopting from Ethiopia but not wanting to fly there. It seems to me that after all you've gone through, flying to Ethiopia and back would be a small sacrifice. Also, your adopted child would have had to give up his entire family, country, language, culture, etc. Maybe you would benefit from finding yourself in the minority and by experiencing what your child would live with in the U.S. his entire life.
Hubby and I are adoptive parents, hence my sticking my nose in on that one.
In any case, I didn't want to just keep lurking, so this is my "hello." Hope you don't mind; and I completely support you in your faith. Hope to chat more with you as time goes on. Hang in there, sister.
Eve - Thanks for commenting! And I'm glad you found my blog.
ReplyDeleteYou're right about flying. I have severe panic attacks when I have to, which I need to get over for this and many other reasons. I'm praying about it, and if I am ever able to overcome it, we will definitely consider Ethiopia more seriously.
By the way, I just started reading your blog and now I realize there's way more to adoption than I thought! I also like your beautiful baby pictures from your recent post :)
Eat! Lol :) Seriouslym I hope you're feeling better now.
ReplyDeleteSorry I've missed your blog for the past few days... it's been crazy around here, and my house STILL isn't clean for tomorrow's company (my fam). I feel ultra-lazy having a dirty house when I don't even have kids, kwim? I guess I can blame it on the dogs... yeah... all the dirty clothes on the floor and papers on the dining room table are the dogs fault... sounds good. :)
Happy 4th!
Well I'm at a conference so not much time to post...
ReplyDeleteBut I did want to say that I share your terror of flying. It is the hardest thing I've ever done. Ever. BUT I decided that I'm not going to let that fear stop me from living my life.
I pray each time I get on that plane for God to help me overcome my fear. And I am happy to say that it is getting better. In fact, I flew twice today and I am proud to say that I was okay (for most of it). I still really struggle during the ascent and descent (okay and also anytime there's a bump or odd noise) but God is helping me to overcome this fear ... or at least not to let it rule me. I say don't let the flying thing keep you from adopting. If you feel led, go for it!
from my own experience... low blood sugar does a number on the body!
ReplyDeletei think that could contribute to your feeling icky...but I'm no doctor!
as far as openig the door... I agree with Eve... it's ok not to open it. Personally, I feel freaked out when I'm home alone and the doorbell rings.
Prayers for you as always!
Hi again! I just had to say that Shannon's comment made me smile because I thought, maybe we need signs to put on our front doors, signs that say "go away."
ReplyDeleteHow mean is that? But I have those days. Even worse, some days I'd rather just hang the sign around my neck. Ha ha!