First of all, thank you guys for your supportive comments on my last post. I was a little nervous to put that out there, but I'm not anymore. Not only do I feel like it should be said, but I'm starting to wonder if maybe I am among those who should be saying it more often. As Katie pointed out in her comment, fertile women are sometimes chastised for speaking out about an issue some think they don't have the right to talk about (it shouldn't be like that, but it is). So that got me thinking. Maybe I am someone who can and should be speaking out about it, educating other Catholics. Maybe that's one of the reasons I'm going through this. I'm not sure in what capacity I could do that, but I guess I'll pray about it.
Anyways, it has been a busy few days. I head back to VA tomorrow morning. If you get a chance, please pray for my husband. He is having horrible pain in one of his legs and he even went to the ER this morning. Of course this happens when I am not there, of all times, and the worst of it happened while I was on the air this morning so no one could even reach me (and keep in mind - I am normally always home and always available). It's bad, though. He hasn't slept since Friday night and the pain meds he got at the ER barely do anything for it. Hopefully we can find out what it is in the next few days and get it taken care of.
As for my cycle, it's day 25 and it's eight days post-peak. The really interesting thing, though, is that this cycle is so far identical to last cycle. I started mucus on the same day (day 11), it lasted for the same amount of time (seven days), and peaked on the same day (day 17). This might sound like no big deal, but you have to understand that no two cycles have even come close to being similar for me in the past. So this is big.
Also big is the fact that the last three cycles - which also happen to be the three cycles since starting my diet - appear very normal. I had a normal amount of mucus, one peak day, and then several dry days. That is HUGE for me. Since I started charting two years ago I have never, until May, had a cycle that appeared "textbook." I almost want to take a picture of my charts before May, because you really have to see them to understand. They're crazy. They're all over the place. I counted, and my cycles prior to May have an average of 3.2 peak days, meaning I wrote the little "P" on the white sticker, had a few dry days, and then had more mucus, and another "P". This happened four or five times during some cycles. I rarely had one peak day. But now... the average number of peak days for my last three cycles is one. One! I love being normal!
Another stat I worked up when I was bored - the average length of my cycle pre-laparotomy was 36.14, while the average length of my cycles post-surgery is 28.6. I just think things are definitely looking up. I can't deny that. Things are changing, and they appear to be changing for the better. I'm not sure if it's my diet, though, because May is also the point at which my prolactin medication probably kicked in. Regardless, something is helping.
So interesting little thing about me lately - I really don't have much of an appetite. That's really weird for me. Really, really weird. I like to eat and I'm hungry often, even on my diet. Today I had to force myself to eat in order to take medication, which I'm about to do again in a few minutes. Maybe it's the Met, but I've been on it for about three weeks at this point and it didn't start until the other day. Speaking of Met, I started taking it with milk and before my meal, and doing so has completely alleviated any stomach upset (which is another reason I'm not sure this is due to the medication).
Well if this cycle continues to mimic last month's, then it will come to a conclusion on Thursday. I've never been predictable, so this is new for me!
Update: So this morning my temp rose to 98.8. That's more good news because it had been hovering around 98.2-98.4 since my peak day and had been below 98.0 before that (and I awoke a couple hours earlier than normal today, and it still rose). I can't tell you how excited I was to see the high temp!
you just can't even imagine how much I loved your last post.
ReplyDeleteI'm going to email you, but I DO think that you should help to educate others about NFP, Catholic infertility, etc... (if you feel called to of course!)
Prayers for you!
I have visited your blog several times (via Shannon's blog), but never had the courage to comment. I am not someone who has ever experienced infertility and I fear that trying to make a comment on your posts would seem like I'm trying to empathize.
ReplyDeleteSo, just know that my head is filled with hundreds of beautiful thoughts about you. I admire your strength, courage, your faith, and your hope. If I was in your situation I could only pray to God to have all of those things.
I also very much admire your faithfulness to the Church's teaching. Occasionally I find myself lamenting the fact that my husband and I seem to be the only couple we know that follow the Church's teaching on being open to life and NFP. But, as one of your commenters mentioned I see that following the Church's teachings during infertility is really the hardest teaching, and yet the most open to life- ALL life. I stand in awe of your strength. I truly do.
Now I should stop rambling. I probably won't comment much, because I don't have the right words or the understanding.
But, I offer you my prayers.
I just have to say thank you for being courageous enough to take a stand for life in your last post.
ReplyDeleteIt is true that being Catholic and infertile is a unique, very heavy cross to carry. Yet I have to trust that there are eternal rewards that await us for honoring God's truth, and for honoring each and every life, even the smallest and most vulnerable - the human embryo.
You are a light!
I'm so excited about your "textbook" cycles!! I had all of that messiness back when we started TTC, too- - mixed in with like 22 day periods. Fun.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I just had to comment on how "funny" it is how we (infertiles) always tend to write with the same tone of hope masked by self-preservation during the 2ww. For example, "My temp is up... my cycles are normal... so I should get my period by Thursday." It's like no matter how hard we try to prepare ourselves for failure (even predicting it in our blogs), we still want someone to interject and say, "Hey, don't you give up! Such-and-such is a great sign! I had that with my pregnancy!"
While I can't provide you with a first-hand early pregnancy analogy to your cycle... I will say that I do have hope for you this cycle. If not this cycle, I know it will be soon. You're in my prayers, and I agree with everyone else- - you should definately use this experience for good within the Church. You'd be awesome at it.
I am not sure anybody would be interested (I'm a pretty boring Catholic wife married for one year, hubby and I are in our forties, and we do not have any children yet..but we are hoping and praying for some even though I was recently diagnosed with endometriosis and told I could be infertile), but I created a blog to spread devotion to the Blessed Mother and the Rosary.
ReplyDeletehttp://hailmaryfullofgrace-mt.blogspot.com/
P.S. I wish I could figure out how to make the background blue and make a banner with the Blessed Mother in it!
I am hoping and praying some of you will visit my blog and it will be a blessing to others!
Thanks!
Love,
Maria :)
I am impressed that when you do a "side job" that you are "on the air." Sounds like you are a celebrity or something! :)
ReplyDeleteAlso, I hope that your dh is ok.