Well my husband's surgery went very well. Thanks for all your prayers! He stayed overnight in the hospital (the reclining chair I slept in was surprisingly comfortable!) and we went home this afternoon. He didn't react well to the anesthesia and/or morphine last night, but his stomach is much better today. He has back pain from the surgery of course, but his leg, which was where his pain was the last few weeks, is already much better, which hopefully means the nerve will bounce back.
He told me he's afraid I'll post on here that he's acting like a big baby, but honestly he's being really good. Of course, he has to live up to the standard I set after my surgeries because I wasn't a baby at all. And that's saying a lot because I'm likely to act like a baby for no apparent reason on a typical day. Anyway, he's going to be out of work for two weeks, so we'll get to spend a lot of time together. Maybe if he's bored I'll get him to do a guest post on this blog!
As for my current status, which is far less important but still the main purpose of this blog, I am in the midst of full-blown Metformin nausea. Food is not only not appetizing, it is my enemy. And not for the usual reason that we have a love-hate relationship. No, I hate food now because I have to eat it and I don't want to. Not a problem I've ever experienced before, that's for sure. I now eat only under two circumstances: 1) When I have to take one of my two pills which must be taken with food (or I'll become even more nauseous, I suppose) or 2) when my nausea suddenly turns to immense hunger, like I haven't eaten in a week (which happens twice a day lately).
I just feel like there has got to be something I can do. Are there foods to stay away from (other than lettuce)? Are there foods I should be eating (I'm obviously on my diet, which should be met-friendly)? Should I not take the met at the same time as my prolactin medication (both need to be taken twice a day with food and eating four times sounds awful to me right now)? I've googled the heck out of it, but never come up with much useful information. I'm still hoping that the symptoms will subside once my body is use to the medicine. It's been five days so far.
The sick feeling is manageable if it increases my chances of conceiving. I'll go through much worse if it means getting pregnant. It definitely won't cause me to decrease the dose because this apparently is my only chance. I do get nervous, though, when I think that I might have to be on this medication indefinitely, for my overall health. If it comes to that (after I've had several children, of course), hopefully taking a low dose, combined with diet, will be enough.
Okay, enough about me. I feel bad complaining when my husband's in his current condition.
Tuesday, July 22, 2008
Home from the hospital
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
oh my goodness, I'm so glad your husband is doing ok.
ReplyDeletePrayers for him this night!
Praying for you too. This waiting game is no fun, huh?
It's so hard!
P.S. I have a GREAT prayer I'm going to send you in the next day or so.
I'm so glad your husband's surgery went so well! And I'm sorry you're feeling so bad. I wish I had metformin advice to give you! I'll be praying for you both to feel better soon!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad the surgery went well!
ReplyDeleteI hope you're both feeling better soon.
So glad your husband's surgery went well.
ReplyDeleteAs to the metformin nausea... I'm so sorry you have to experience it. I no longer take met... it never worked for me. Unfortunately, the nausea/vomiting for me didn't subside until about 2-3 months after I was at my maximum dosage. After that, the nausea would still hit me occasionally, but then the diarrhea started. Even when I tried to go back on it this past spring, the diarrhea was immediate. The extended release tablets (XR) was almost symptom free for me; I'd ask your doctor about it if you could. Also, I noticed that dairy helped the symptoms much better than other foods... for the GI diet, maybe yogurt? I would always eat yogurt or cheese and it would seem to help a bit. Just some thoughts... you're more than welcome to email me if you have any more specific questions (snorr75@yahoo.com).
Thank you, by the way, for the GI recipes you sent me awhile back. My husband and I are now on a low GI lifestyle as well... it's our first week and I'm still learning how to put our menu plans together, but we're working at it! YAY!
I'm so happy to hear that your husband is doing well!
ReplyDeleteThis is a great opportunity for the two of you to spend some time together! Perhaps having him around during the day will keep your mind off the infertility stuff so much. (at least that is how it is with me when P is around. I guess I have a one track mind!)
I think my Met is XR, too... which would explain why I never had too many s/es (I only got s/es when I added T3, which I started AFTER Met... both together made my digestive tract a little funky).
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I was going to say that I take my Met AFTER a meal... and not immediately, either. I let it settle for about 15 minutes after eating, then take the Met. I'm not sure if it will help you, but I found that if there was food ALREADY in the stomach for the meds to "go to work" on, it helped.
I hope you and DH have a nice 2 weeks of bonding time! Now... can I ask the inappropriate ? of whether or not he can BD within the next 2 wks?? I hope you don't have to sit this cycle out!
Feel better, both of you!
Yay that your husband's surgery went well! Hopefully he recovers quick. I know that combination of anesthesia and pain meds is brutal on the stomach...ugh!
ReplyDeleteAs for your nausea...I'm so sorry it has hit you! I was hoping you wouldn't be affected as bad. I can sympathize. That is exactly how I felt for several weeks. The thought of food pretty much made me want to throw up all the time.
But don't lose heart. I very much doubt that you will feel like this forever. I really do think your body adjusts eventually, it just takes time. You could consider reducing the dose just for a short time? I forget what you are at right now, 1000 mg per day?
I couldn't handle that and went back to 500 mg per day and I took it at night before bed. After a few weeks, I increased to 750 mg per day at night only. I was fine with the increase then.
I know you may feel like you want to have every chance of conceiving as possible so you don't want to decrease, but really if you're feeling that bad, it's worth it to just give your body more time.
I think I lasted about 3 weeks with that awful nausea and then I couldn't take it anymore!
I hope you feel better soon!
Very happy you're husband's surgery went well!
ReplyDeleteAs for the Met - I take 2000mg a day and I couldn't handle breaking apart my dosage. So, I take all 4 pills with my dinner, which is ok according to my dr.
I wonder if you couldn't take your dosage before you go to bed...maybe with some yogurt or something small?
I'm sorry; it really kind of stinks until you find a rhythm.
I just wanted to add that I initially had to stagger my pills. I would take 1 pill for a week, then 2 then next week, then 3 the
ReplyDelete3rd week and 4 the following week.
That might help w/ the side effects.
Oh yes, I never added that I too, like Dana, take all my pills together. (Which probably means they ARE xr, huh?) I'm on 1500mgs, so 3 pills, all after dinner.
ReplyDeleteHopefully you'll find a strategy that works for you and your stomach!