Ahhh! This metformin is really getting to me!
I'm sorry if I sound like a broken record, but I need to vent. I was a little nauseous this morning (it's technically Thursday morning right now, but I'm referring to Wednesday here), but was okay this afternoon. So I ate some low-carb pasta salad I made (lately, nearly-plain pasta is one of the only things that appeals to me) and took a pill. I actually felt good for a while and even ate some more pasta a couple hours later. Then, about four hours after taking the met the nausea set in. I'm starting to notice a trend - I feel sick 3-4 hours after each dose. Anyways, it got better but by then I had entered my no-food zone of 8:30 to 11:30. At midnight, I started to feel very ill and actually thought I was going to pass out, so I laid down (yes, I made my poor husband, who is recovering from surgery, get off the couch for me. It was that bad). At this point, I was due for another dose (just what I wanted!), so I forced myself to eat some toast and took the pill. Oh - and I've had horrible heart burn off and on all day.
So that's what my day looked like. I'm not sure if the fact that I'm eating very little is adding to my problem, or if it's that when I do eat I'm eating mainly carbs. I read somewhere that I should have some protein to help with the nausea, but I can't bring myself to make anything. My husband hasn't had much of an appetite either, but he's getting better each day so tomorrow I might try to make a balanced meal.
If this lasts another week or two, I might call my doctor and see if there's anything I can do, like switching to extended release. Right now I'm just grateful to God that I feel like I can handle this (even though it probably doesn't seem that way from this blog!). And even though we're not getting along too well at the moment, I'm still holding out hope that I will grow to love metformin once it is responsible for my first pregnancy!
Thursday, July 24, 2008
Metformin and me
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yuck. Nausea sucks, when it's not a result of the hormones of a baby growing inside you. We might as well all be pg, with all the nausea, vomiting, heachaches, hot flashes, bloating, and weight gain we go through every month, right?!
ReplyDeleteI hope this hate-hate relationship you have with Metformin can turn into a love-hate when it gets you your baby :)
Hey there,
ReplyDeleteGosh I am sorry to hear that you are having such a rough time! I think it's great you're sticking with met and all to TTC. I am praying for you. Sounds like the met is really affecting your system. Wish I had advice for you about met and nausea but I don't...
I am happy to hear your husband is doing better! YEAH.
Hope to talk to you soon!
Amber
Maybe you could try something like peanut butter toast. They make all natural organic peanut butter which should be ok for your diet. It will also give you some protein. I was thinking that your nausea problems may be because you are waiting too long between meals and they are mostly carbs (like you said). Are there any vegetables that sound ok to you? Maybe a kind of squash?
ReplyDeleteThose are all the ideas I have. I hope your husband has a quick recovery!
My doctor recommended a couple of things to help with the met side effects. Try to stay away from simple carbs as much as you can (focus on complex carbs and protein), have some yogurt when you take your pill and take it in the middle of a meal. Hang in there! My prayers are with you.
ReplyDeleteHallie