Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Pigs are officially flying

My life as I knew it is over. The day I swore I would never see is here. I am going on a low-carb diet.

So I went out to buy the G.I. Diet book today and upon flipping through its pages in the aisles of my local bookstore I nearly hyperventilated. No eggs? No mayonnaise (my very favorite condiment)? No BUTTER? I had kind of assumed that this diet was like the South Beach Diet, which my entire family went on and collectively lost an entire person. But once I bought the book I realized it is like South Beach, but it is similar to phase one of South Beach. The starve-yourself-and-lose-fifteen-pounds-in-two-weeks-by-eating-nothing-but-fruit-vegetables-and-nuts phase. (And, I should add, I momentarily and mistakenly thought that chicken and turkey breast were off limits. I was like, what kind of psycho diet is this??).

I then made my way to the grocery store armed with my little book. Don't you just love being that person who has her head buried in a diet book while food shopping? I always feel like such a dork (except it's usually a Weight Watchers points calculator I'm discreetly using). So I learned a few things while shopping today: Fruit is expensive. Diet and low-carb foods are expensive. Healthy food in general is expensive. I don't know if it was due to my new medication causing me a constant dull headache or my shock at my new diet, but I walked up and down each aisle in a major daze and before I knew it, I had filled up my cart like it was nobody's business. When it started to get too heavy to push, I knew I was in trouble. So, the total bill came to just under $200, and let me just say I'm usually a $75 kind of girl, at the most.

Here's a picture of all my low glycemic food:



(Doesn't look like $200 does it?!) Some of the food is in the 'moderate' range, but none is considered 'high'. I hope. For example, bananas, pineapple, 70% cacao dark chocolate (you're allowed a couple squares and I will take them up on that offer), low-fat no-sugar-added ice cream, are all 'sometimes' foods. The low-carb pasta, tomatoes, strawberries, blueberries, whole grain bread and lettuce are all in the low category. I'm still learning about all of this, and I haven't read the book yet, so hopefully it will soon become second nature to me.

One thing is for sure - I would NEVER do this to lose weight. As much as I need and want to lose weight, I'm more of a Weight Watchers person. I like to save up points and have McDonalds or Taco Bell once in a while. But if one thing in the world can get me go on a low carb diet, it is a baby. In fact, I was in the ice cream aisle today looking at a low-fat ice cream I really wanted. I could probably have gotten it, it wouldn't have killed me. But what I should get is a low-fat, no sugar added ice cream (not getting ice cream at all is not an option). So I simply asked myself, "Do you want that ice cream more than a baby?" Ha! That's the easiest question ever! I think I'm going to put a picture of a baby on my refrigerator now that I think about it! As much as a beach-ready body is a motivator, I always cheat, and I always give up. But a baby? I'd eat bugs if it caused me to get pregnant (thank God that's not how it works!). As I said to my mother today, it's really weird to think that I'm going on a diet to try to increase my chances of getting pregnant and losing a ton of weight is just going to be a side effect. How cool is that?

My goal is to lose fifteen pounds by my next appointment. Is that nuts? It's a month and a half away, so I think I can do it. My mom said she usually loses around ten pounds in two weeks on phase one of South Beach, so this would be well within that range (by the way, she also commented that perhaps she and my sisters also have this insulin problem since this is the only type of diet that ever works for them and they, like me, CRAVE carbs). It won't be fun (I am NOT a vegetable and fruit person. Could you tell?) but I'm pretty sure I'll feel better and look better in a short time! I'll keep everyone updated!

6 comments:

  1. Hey, I am so proud of your just-do-it attitude!

    But please take it slower...don't swing to the extreme immediately!

    One thing is one need not have to spend $ on buying products certified as 'low GI', that's really expensive! You need familiarize with the GI value of the various food and pair them up accordingly.

    E.g. white bread may be high GI, but if eaten with peanut butter, the GI will be balanced out and the sugar can be released slowly.

    I don't do GI diet strictly, and I am also a carb person, so I try to go for complex carb. I will avoid the 'whites' stuff and go for wholemeal bread, brown rice, steel-cut oatmeal. I avoid all soft drinks and juices too.

    Also, I thought eggs are alright? Not those fried/scrambled in oil, but hard-boiled and poached eggs are fine, right?

    Alright I will stop here! I am rooting for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. According to the book my doctor told me to get, eggs are in the "yellow" zone if they are omega 3 eggs, while regular eggs are in the red zone. My mom was really surprised by that too, since on the South Beach diet you can have eggs. I'm not sure! And I've heard of pairing up food (like bread with peanut butter) but so far this book doesn't talk about that.

    I'm taking it slow in the sense that I am currently eating some of the foods that this diet says you shouldn't eat until you've reached your goal weight. So I'm not following it 100%. But at the same time, I have to kind of go cold turkey, or I might give up! (although pregnancy is the best motivation EVER!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. great job with the healthy grocery shopping! with all of my allergies it's easy to avoid food that's bad for me.

    if you want to lose the weight before your next appointment i'd definitely recommend yoga -- hot yoga especially. not only is it a great way to get exercise but it's also good for inner peace!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you!

    A few years ago I had stopped having any kind of cycles for two years and was diagnosed with PCOS. I was put on two pretty heavy-duty drugs (can't remember what they were called now) that made me miserable.

    I ended up reading some excellent books on the relationship of insulin to other areas of health (e.g. Blood Sugar Blues and Sugar Busters) and ended up cutting out all simple sugars and carbs. Combining that with the wisdom of Fertility, Cycles and Nutrition totally changed my life. The results were amazing. I got off the medication and have had regular cycles and no indicators of PCOS ever since.

    Anyway, just wanted to say that I'm excited for you and can't wait to hear how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just read about your doctor's appointment and I am THRILLED for you! I am seriously excited and I just know that you will be able to treat the underlying problem now.

    THIS IS WONDERFUL NEWS!!!

    I can't wait for your BFP!!!!

    ReplyDelete