Sunday, April 20, 2008

Novena begins, and thoughts on Papal visit

Today begins the novena leading up to the feast day of St. Gianna Beretta Molla. This is a great opportunity to ask for God's healing - spiritually, emotionally and physically - and for the assistance of St. Gianna. When I sent in my prayer intentions to the St. Gianna Society for this novena, I prayed for my husband and myself, as well as all those suffering with infertility, so you are all in my prayers. Please consider starting this novena today, and may St. Gianna intercede on behalf of all those suffering with infertility. Here is the prayer:

Novena
To Obtain Graces Through Saint Gianna Beretta

God, our Father, You have granted to Your church the gift of Gianna Beretta Molla. In her youth she lovingly sought You and drew other young people to You, involving them, through apostolic witness and Catholic Action, in the care of the sick and aged, to help and comfort them.We thank You for the gift of this young woman, so deeply committed to You. Through her example grant us the grace to consecrate our lives to Your service, for the joy of our brothers and sisters.

Glory be …

Jesus, Redeemer of mankind, You called Saint Gianna to exercise the medical profession as a mission for the comfort of bodies and souls. In her suffering fellow men and in the little ones, deprived of all support, she saw You. We thank You for having revealed Yourself to this servant as “one who serves” and who soothes the sufferings of men. Treasuring her example may we become generous Christians at the service of our brothers and sisters, especially those with whom You deign to share Your Cross.

Glory be…

God, Sanctifying Spirit, who love the Church as Your Bride, You poured into the heart of Saint Gianna a share of Your Love so that she could radiate it in her family, and thus cooperate with You in the wonderful plan of creation, and give life to new children who could know and love You. We thank You for this model wife and, through her encouraging witness, we beg You to grant to our families the serene and Christian presence of mothers committed to transform their homes into cenacles of faith and love, rich with generous activity and sanctifying service.

Glory be…

O God, Creator and lover of mankind, You were close to Saint Gianna when, affected by illness, she was in the painful dilemma of choosing between her own life and the life of the child whom she was carrying in herself, a gift long-awaited. Trusting You alone, and aware of Your Commandment to respect human life, Gianna found the courage to do her duty as a mother and to say “yes” to the new life of her baby, generously sacrificing her own. Through the intercession of Mary, Mother of Jesus, and after the example of Gianna, inspire all mothers to welcome with love the sparkle of new life. Grant us the grace we are praying for …………. and the joy to find an inspiration in Saint Gianna who, as a model spouse and mother, after the example of Christ, gave up her life for the life of others.

Hail Mary…

On another note, how wonderful was the Pope's visit this week?! I am so excited with the positive news coverage it all has received. For the most part, the Church has been portrayed in a positive light and there seems to be immense excitement surrounding Catholicism because of his visit. Watching his Mass today did help to lift my spirits on a day when I was beginning to despair. I was saddened to read, though, that pro-choice politicians did not heed Pope Benedict's own teaching and refrain from receiving the Eucharist at Mass in D.C. I know there is heated debate surrounding this issue, but in my opinion, they are creating public scandal by receiving. (I also was worried when I heard on Fox News that Yankee stadium sold out of hot dogs today! I really hope they were all consumed during that Harry Connick , Jr. concert held before the Mass began, and not within one hour of receiving!) Anways, Pope Benedict looked great, so much younger than his age, and how about that big cheer today during his homily when he mentioned life in the womb! That was my favorite part. I will leave you with this video combining four of my favorite things - the Pope, EWTN, Ave Maria, and... American Idol! It's EWTN's coverage of Kelly Clarkson singing Ave Maria for Pope Benedict. It's really beautiful.

2 comments:

  1. thanks be to God that you posted this! I can hardly believe I've forgotten... thank you so very much!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I started the novena tonight.

    Since I'm totally behind (on my own blog and on others'), I just read your last post. You and your husband are such a gorgeous couple! :)

    And I'm on the slow release T3 treatment, too. I became pretty lax about the every 12 hours to the minute and the food instructions. My husband was getting concerned because sometimes I would forget and miss a dose, or take it a half-hour late . . . or eat dinner too late (all bad things!). I'm really trying to be good now! I have to set alarms to remember to stop eating and to take the medicine on time. So, I'll be thinking about you while I'm trying to keep myself on track!

    ReplyDelete