Well, I'm back for a second time today. See, what is happening lately is that my laptop is on the fritz and so I am forced to blog from our apple desktop in our office. The problem is that the desk chair is awesome. We bought it so I could comfortably edit my movie, and now I comfortably check blogs, email and facebook for hours. It's just too nice to get up. So, I am back with another post.
I need to get something out of the way first. Remember this? Well, I have officially decided not to chart it. Yes. That may surprise you, but I feel good about it. Why? Well, first off, it was a miniscule amount. It was hardly a light tan discoloration. Second, it was combined with 6PC (pastey, cloudy) non-fertile mucus. I'm not sure why I am using that to support my argument, but I am! Third, it was a one-time occurrence. The rest of the day was completely dry and free of any color.
Perhaps it should be charted, but for my sanity, it will not be. What can one little green sticker hurt? My doctor doesn't pour over my chart anyway. He considers it, but he won't even be looking at it for several months. Probably five to eight (the countdown is on).
So, that being said...I am on cycle day nine. I charted five red stickers, and now four green stickers in a row. As I said, on Monday morning (infamous Monday morning), I saw 6PC; on Tuesday I charted 2AD, and tonight I will chart 6PC x__ (at least if nothing changes between now and then).
This is great news, even if Monday morning is taken into consideration. It hopefully will mean that my mucus won't last for as many days as it did last month. I cannot tell you the last time I had four dry days between my period and my mucus. I usually go right from red to white stickers, so this is definitely a change. Something's going on, that's for sure!
I can tell that I'll probably see some fertile mucus tomorrow, day 10, and if it lasts for six to eight days, that would be great. I've been "ovulating" (I don't think I will be able to write that without quotation marks until after I have conceived) around days 17 and 18 (with a few exceptions) for a little while now, so that will probably happen again this cycle. (Not to create more problems, but is that less than ideal? How close to the "textbook" day 14 ovulation should we realistically be, or is that a myth?)
*******************************
Now for the ring story. First, you should quickly go back here and read numbers 8 and 9.
Okay. So due to my weight loss, my engagement and wedding ring were too big. I hardly wore them at home and would put them on just when going out. I was always afraid they'd fly off or fall down a drain. So, I decided to have them resized and we took them to a jewelry store on Tuesday where my sister-in-law used to work, since we were visiting my in-laws. One of the employees took them from me and brought them to another room to give to the jeweler. A few minutes later, the jeweler came out, looking concerned.
It turns out my "platinum" wedding band is actually white gold. That would be fine, of course, if we had asked for white gold and paid for white gold, but we didn't.
So on top of the band being white gold, he also told me the little diamonds (not sure what it's called, but it basically looks like this) on both rings are very poor quality and were not set correctly (this is obvious if you look closely...it looks like whoever made it was working on their first ring EVER), and that is causing them to chip away at each other, which could result in them falling out (it actually happened once shortly after we were married). I should have made a fuss years ago, before the jeweler went to jail and everything, but that's not how I am. I've never been good at speaking up.
So this jeweler was really nice and was really worried I'd be very upset, but I assured him I wasn't. I actually felt relieved. I had always suspected it was white gold, since it was turning a different color from my engagement ring. And then there's that little part about the jeweler we bought it from going to prison. Nothing really shocks you after that happens.
I was relieved, but the more I thought about it I started wanting new rings. I felt like my rings were a constant reminder that we were taken for a ride, and that I'd hate knowing how poorly made the are. We decided we'd start saving up, and I'd get an affordable, simple, diamond-free band and engagement ring setting (purposefully in white gold this time) by our next anniversary. After all, my diamond (which was my grandmother's) is the important part anyway.
Then we picked up my rings that evening and they looked great. All clean and polished, and fitting my finger. I decided no one has any idea that they're poorly made except for us (and all of you now!) and who cares anyway? Of all the problems I have in my life, worrying about my rings shouldn't be one of them. And of all the things we need to save up for, new replacement bands should not be on the list.
And no matter how crappy they may look to a knowledgeable jeweler, they are still worth a lot of money. How crappy would that be of me to just toss them aside? Millions of people in the world don't even have enough food to eat, yet my diamond wedding band isn't good enough for me? It just doesn't seem right.
It also helped that they told me how big my diamond is (we never knew, since it was a family heirloom) and let's just say it's a pretty good size. That helped to take some of the sting away!
*******************************
I just wanted to share one more quick story with you, for what it's worth.
I was having an incredibly hard time opening a 2-liter of soda tonight. It had already been open, but Ryan must have really put the top back on tight. I tried like twenty times to get it off, my hand was getting red and I'm sure it was close to bleeding (yes, I really wanted that coke zero). I was getting frustrated, to say the least.
I knew I needed to stop, step back, and pray. So I did. I prayed, I asked God to help me open the soda, and I had faith that he would. OF COURSE, I got it on the very next try.
Before you tell yourself I had just loosened it the previous twenty tries, I do not believe that was the case. I cannot describe to you how tight it was on there. Crazy tight. And even if I had loosened it on that last try before praying, that would have made for one HUGE coincidence, and after all, there are no coincidences with God!
So a few things that could be learned from this experience: 1) we can try all we want on our own, but until turn it over to God, nothing will budge; 2) have faith when you ask God for help, because everything is possible through him (even twisting off impossibly tight caps); and, 3) remind your husband that you aren't as strong as him, and you may need to open the soda when he's not home.
Anyways, just wanted to share that with you. Not sure if that was God himself teaching me a little mini-lesson, but I'd like to think so.
Updated - So Jeremiah 29:11 suggested a photo of my rings, so here it is:

What a look she's giving me! And she likes dressing up, it's the posing for pictures she's not crazy about. A friend of ours found this at Target after Halloween for $ .99 and got it for her. Now that's a sale!

Thanks for sharing your stories. I enjoyed reading them.
ReplyDeleteToday I thought of you and wondered "what would K do in this situation?" My boss made cinnamon rolls and poured some chocolate on them. I saw them sitting there in the kitchen right next to my classroom tempting me (Yes, I'm a teacher at a daycare).
Later on when it came time to punch out for the day in the office I saw a loaf of banana bread sitting on the table for everyone to take.
I couldn't resist both and took both the cinnamon roll and a small piece of banana bread. I have a sweet tooth and still have a difficult time resisting treats!
What would YOU have done? How do you resist temptation when it comes to your favorite treats? Just wondering!
Your weight loss has inspired me and encouraged me. That's why I wanted to ask you.
Can you eat sweets on that diet you are on? The G.I. diet?
By the way, I'm on face book too. Maybe next time you are on there you can look for me and add me? My name is Maria Newcomer on there. Thanks!!
May God Bless you. Praying for you, dear girl.
Maria
Maria - My advice is to try to go a couple weeks resisting all sweets. I have found that once you do that, your body starts to get used to less sugar and you crave it less (it helps to lessen your total carb intake when you do this). My cravings went away completely. I can't say that I'm never tempted, because of course I still remember how yummy those things are. But for me, the only way to go is resisting it all. If I ever cheated, I'm sure it would have been a slippery slope. There's always an excuse you can make for yourself and it's very easy to talk yourself into cheating. I used to think of my mouth as just being off limits to that food. I know that might sound silly, but it was a mental image that worked for me!
ReplyDeleteI also just told myself that eating right was NOT just to be skinny (you'd think that'd be reason enough, but it's not, right?), but rather it was to get pregnant. That was motivation enough for me. Maybe you could try to associate the two more (eating health and pregnancy). Bring that to mind when you're tempted.
I will add you.. but there are more than one Maria Newcomer. Are you the one with the middle initial "T"?
you're right, nothing is impossible with god.
ReplyDeletei've been so self-absorbed lately that i've forgotten my favourite motto.
perhaps i should've read your post before i wrote my freak-out post!
p.s. don't feel petty about your ring. although i swore up and down that i didn't care about the size of my diamond, i still feel twangs of envy when i see a woman with a HUGE rock! and then i remind myself about the starving children in africa (honestly how many times did my mom reference those poor children to me?) then i feel guilty and quickly think of something else.
Love the story about your rings. When my husband bought me my engagement ring he loved it, i just kind of liked it. I always felt bad about this and i told him him i really didn't like it once out of anger. It was about 2 months after we got engaged. I always thought about taking out the center diamond and resetting it into something else i liked, but he looked hurt when i mentioned it, so i just left it alone. I too thought it shouldn't matter this much, it's the realtionship i treasure not the look of the diamond.
ReplyDeleteWe have talked about renewing our vows at 10 yrs. Maybe if/when we do this we will get new rings, but i'll keep the center diamond on my ring.
The only jewlery my husband wears is his ring, period! He has 2 rings one for work and one for other times, since his work rings gets messed up a lot!
I am sitting here cracking up at your last post... and it comes at a good time because I'm in the middle of parent-teacher conferences! So thanks for keeping me entertained!
ReplyDeleteI too had some issues with my engagement ring. It was so maddening at the time! Basically the setting was just not good - I lost three small stones during the course of our engagement and early marriage. It was so frustrating and disappointing each time! The first two times they fixed it and the third time I got a new setting. Thankfully I haven't had trouble since, but I was SO mad at the time. I thought we had been scammed.
I think that you should post a picture of your "new" rings! I'd love to see them. I'm a sucker for jewelry. :)
Ok, so I love your bottle-opening story. I too pray about random, daily things and it is a great reminder about the "bigger" things in life too.
Actually, I distinctly recall admiring your ring when we first met!!!
ReplyDeleteI am glad you are holding onto it:)
I agree with your decision about keeping the rings. After all, THEY are the ones that were at your actual wedding, and part of the Sacrament. Even if it were just string on my finger during my wedding ceremony, I'd probably wear that string forever. (But you're right, to the naked, untrained eye, your rings don't look any less than perfect! So gorgeous!)
ReplyDeleteI have DH's grandmother's engagement ring! One more thing we share in common :) It's also set in white gold, and I love how original it looks compared to all the "modern" rings out there.
Yay! Thanks for posting the pics! I LOVE your rings!!! So special that you have your grandmother's stone. :)
ReplyDeleteyour hand's not old, it's so lovely!
ReplyDeleteyour rings are gorgeous
Your rings are stunning! And the story about the soda bottle... I can't tell you how many times I've said the "St. Anthony Prayer" for things I've misplaced and then sure enough, they soon turn up! Hmm.. maybe we should ask him to find our fertility!! (Thanks for the link to Aug. "25 things" list. I hadn't started reading the blogs yet and was actually curious about how you met your husband. I always wonder about the guys on our tv stations. We have some cute weathermen!!)
ReplyDeleteI forgot to say, your hands do NOT like like the hands of a 60-yr old!! You have gorgeous nails :) And Sophie looks really, um, happy? in that outfit (lol!!)
ReplyDeleteTCIE - Haha! Thanks! I have to admit my nails look deceivingly good in this pic. I bite my cuticles so my fingers are actually pretty bad. That angle somehow made them look normal!
ReplyDeleteWe've had ring issues too. I had a beautiful marquis cut diamond with a wrap style wedding band. The problem was, I kept scratching Ken with it! That didn't matter as much until I had Madeleine - and once I scratched her with it and drew blood while I was changing her diaper! I was so traumatized that I took it off and now I have a gold band with tiny diamonds. I think I'll wear it until all my kids are out of their diaper changing stage!
ReplyDeleteI have something for you on my blog!
ReplyDeleteI loved your soda bottle story as well! It was a perfect example of what we all need to do with our infertility issues. Over this past summer, there were moments in dealing with my fertility issues, that I felt like your hands trying to open that bottle!
ReplyDeleteMy mother sent me an article about surrendering to God, and I prayed about it and finally at mass I just looked up at the crucifix over the altar, and just imagined myself putting out my hands and literally "handing over" my infertility. I think the visualization must have really helped, because I honestly have been feeling like "whatever" since then. I mean, I am still charting and pursuing a workup with PPVI, but I am not so anxious about everything. I just hope it lasts!
P.S. I love your rings and I think it's great that you kept them! They have a story!
Oh my goodness, we had a nasty jeweler, too! He totally ripped off Mr. X on a diamond (it was obvious as soon as he got it outside and into the light), and then reneged on his promise to exchange it. (We ended up selling that diamond and buying another for my ring because it was such a nasty situation.)
ReplyDeleteAnd you have very pretty hands!