Thursday, March 20, 2008

That time again

Well it's that time of the month again. I had some spotting tonight, on only the third day post peak. So I'll call PPVI tomorrow for my monthly review. My first question will be does this mean I can't get a blood draw this month? I wonder what they do about that. Do I have it drawn on day four of this cycle? In one respect that will be seven days post peak. I don't know. I hope I didn't miss another chance for bloodwork. If that's the case then it's apparent that God really wants me to learn patience.

Because I thought I had at least a week to a-week-and-a-half until CD1, I hadn't started to compile all of my questions yet for PPVI. So I need to do that tonight. I'll definitely ask about my short luteal phase (which I assume they'll address anyways), if I can still have blood drawn, when I'll get a whole hormone work-up like I did a year ago (so I can see if my prolactin and testosterone levels are still high), if I can get an ultrasound series done again (like I had last July in New Jersey), whether I have too much mucus and what can be done about that, and what all of this means in the big picture. I usually chicken out when it comes to asking questions, because I don't want to seem annoying. But this is over the phone so maybe it will be easier.

I also had a fair amount of pain this week leading up to my period. At least a few times it was pretty bad, but for just a second or two. I know lots of people have pain, so maybe this is normal. But I thought my pain was supposed to stop now. Maybe I'm still healing.

I have never had long luteal phases, but they usually hovered around 10-13 days. Since my surgery, though, two of the three cycles have had only three post-peak days. I just hope by this happening it can point PPVI in the right direction, like these symptoms are revealing themselves so we can get to the bottom of this. I just want to know what's wrong.

6 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you are having so many problems with your cycle. =( I just wanted to encourage you about asking questions. It is not annoying! This is YOUR body and YOUR life! You need all the info you can get so you can make informed decisions. Don't be shy! I always make a list and then just work my way through it. That way I don't miss a question because I forgot. Stick to your list. And, don't be afraid to call separately if you remember another question later. You are the patient. They are supposed to help you!

    Hope that was enough encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree withwanttobeamom.

    Don't apologize for your questions. They are happy to help you and wouldn't be in it if they weren't.

    I am sorry that there are still so many unknowns. But I do believe you will get to the bottom of things soon.

    Let us know if there is anything at all we can do to help you with getting that hormone workup. You can mention P's name to whomever at Pope Paul VI and see if they think he might be of help for you in getting a prescription written immediately for the blood draws. (since he is licensed in VA). It might be that you will just have to use a local lab and shipping won't be an option for you. That is what happened with us and I decided I would rather have some answers immediately than have to wait. So we are just using a Quest lab to draw it all and process it all. You will need things to happen fast if you want answers this cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just had a thought - how long are your cycles?

    I wonder whether you just have chronic mucus during your luteal phase - maybe it's longer than you think.

    Hmmm. I do think that an ultrasound series could be of tremendous help.

    I will specifically pray that God provides ways for you to have access to all that you need to figure out what's going on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I agree with waitingforlife, ultrasounds will help....

    And I want to add on the part abt redirection. For me, my career is my solace. Past couple of mths been really hectic, and that really helps to 'tone down' my depression.

    I mean, if I have more free time on hand, I tend to be obsessive about it.

    Whereas when I am so busy at work, time just flies by. And yes, new cycle is coming up. New Hope :)

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lifehopes - If my cycle is over (which I'm not sure about - I had spotting last night but no sign today. And it was red spotting, which I never, ever have), then this cycle lasted 26 days if it ended Wednesday.

    If I have chronic mucus does that mean I might have mucus after I actually ovulated (assuming I even ovulate)? I had a couple pseudo-peak days this cycle, including one where I had a positive OPK, so maybe one of those was my actual peak day. Right now I'm charting as if my peak was on day 24. Probably what this all means is that my follicle isn't rupturing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It would be so bizarre if we both had the same problem! (about the ovulation)
    But then at least we don't have to go through it alone.
    I don't know all the specifics, but I do know that chronic mucus is something some women have (meaning they do have it after ovulation).
    And I remember P saying HCG can help with that - and it's also the treatment for LUFs.
    If this cycle doesn't work for us, I am going to probably start on letrazole along with HCG since we now know I have an ovulation related problem.

    ReplyDelete