Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Some thoughts

I think of posts I would write all day, only to get a few minutes on the computer at night and totally blank out. So I am forcing myself not to give up. Let's see what I can come up with...

* We heard the baby's heart beat today for the first time. We had seen it twice before, but hadn't yet heard it. I had a simple check-up today so we were able to listen. Of course, it took a minute to find it and I found myself saying a Hail Mary before hearing the slow beat of mine become the very quick beat of the baby's. It was pretty incredible.

* I am still on progesterone and waiting to hear what my most recent blood test results were and whether I can stop the shots. My OB today informed me that I should be stopping them by now. Oh how I wish all doctors were on the same page. How I wish all OB's recognized how incredibly helpful progesterone is in pregnancy. And my doctor is at least one of the good ones who uses progesterone support (vaginal suppositories) in some patients. I could have gotten a doctor who didn't believe in it all together. But even she doesn't actually test for it (at least that's what she told us.. I guess she prescribes it in certain circumstances [history of miscarriage perhaps?] yet doesn't do blood draws to see if it's helping). Does that make sense to anyone? What's wrong with a simple blood draw to check the level? Why aren't all doctors doing this?

* She also told me that my Vitamin D dose is too high. I am currently taking 2,000 iu. I tested low for it in February and Dr. S recommended I take a certain amount at my six week appointment in April, but what the amount was I'm not sure. I didn't commit it to memory at the time because all I could focus on was the ultrasound I was about to get. I think it was a range - 1,000 to 4,000 perhaps? So I picked 2,000. From what I've read, this is a pretty safe amount. You can go much higher and still be fine (prenatal vitamins have some, but mine is only like 400 iu, so technically I'm getting 2,400). I plan to keep taking the 2,000.

* I still love my OB. And we loved her even more today after we got into a little discussion about health care at the end of the appointment. Let's just say that we were all on the same page.

* I also love Old Na.vy. Any store where I can buy maternity clothes and still fit in my pre-pregnancy size is pretty cool in my book. Keep in mind I have gained somewhere between 10 and 15 pounds and I would guess that 90% of that is sitting in my thighs. And I don't care if they are sizing big just to make pregnant women buy from them. It works for me.

* Yes, that's right. I bought maternity clothes. I started by buying a couple things this weekend because we were visiting Ryan's family and I went shopping with my sister-in-laws and mother-in-law. I figured I might as well buy stuff when I have people to shop with, since at home I'm all alone with no one to ask for opinions. Actually, there's a funny story about shopping with them in one store on Saturday. I was looking at bras and the saleswoman asked me how far along I was. I said three months, only to have my sister-in-law interject that I had been trying for five-and-a-half years and after adopting suddenly found out I was pregnant, a miracle (she didn't want the saleswoman to think this was just another pregnant lady). She was crying, my other sister-in-law also started tearing up, as did I, and then we all started laughing. We laughed for the rest of the day at our little moment in the bra aisle!

* So anyways, I bought some stuff and a friend let me borrow a bunch of stuff, and while I probably won't wear a lot of it for a little while longer, I am currently wearing my Old Na.vy maternity capris. They are comfortable. Really comfortable. My regular clothes make me feel like I do after eating Thanksgiving dinner.

* I had some nausea this weekend and I thought morning sickness was back, but I feel fine today. And my energy is still up. I'm tired, don't get me wrong, but I don't feel like I have to lay in bed every day. My self-imposed bed rest has been lifted.

* Clara is six months old today! She deserves a post dedicated entirely to her, which I will try to write tomorrow (and I don't want to give anything away, but there just might be a little Clara slide-show in the works). There is so much to say. She is amazing, doing more and more each day and constantly making us laugh. She has such a little personality now! Ahh.. I just love her. I can't get enough of her. Here are some recent pics:





* Ryan learned you don't let baby's feet with their delicate baby skin touch the bottom of the kiddie pool (see middle picture). The poor thing rubbed some skin off the bottom of her big toes, mainly because she had just discovered that she could bounce and jump that same day. Ryan was way more traumatized by it than she was. In fact, it didn't seem to hurt her at all.

* One more thing, If you get a chance, please say a prayer for a friend of ours, J. She's in her mid-twenties and was diagnosed with cervical cancer and is having surgery tomorrow (Wednesday). I appreciate it.

21 comments:

  1. I, too, wish doctor's were all on the same page! My cousin told me she had 4 miscarriages until she found a pro-life doctor who prescirbed progesterone her entire pregnancy...with the progesterone she has had 4 full term healthy babies...hello!!?? My current doctor didn't seem interested when we had our miscarriage follow-up appointment in April. We will do a blood draw to check my levels this cycle 7 days past O, but that's all she is willing to do. I'm hopeful this cycle or next cycle will be successful, but in the same vein I'm hopeful that I'll find a doctor perfectly fit for me...one who wants to help me get pregnant and sustain the pregnancy!

    I enjoy your blog...and I love your story...and admire your faith. I'll be praying for a continued healthy pregnancy. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I continue to need PIO's through the second trimester I will not be telling my baby catcher about it....I'm on 50,000 units of Vitamin D weekly and soon I go to monthly. My doctor said it was fine (not my OB). He won't know about that either...Vitamin D I think is vital for brain development! I think I remember that conversation we had and I remember it being 1,000.

    I'm glad you are feeling better! That is how motherhood maternity does the sizing at their store. If you were a small before pregnant you stay a small through pregnancy! I have yet to try anything on in there...I bought capris from target. :) But those I think will be for later on because I intentionally got them a size too big.

    I tried a consignment shop and almost threw up! My consignment shop sucked! :) hahaha

    If your in maternity clothes show that bump! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is all so exciting. I love reading about this pregnancy of yours, after following you for so long with infertility. God is good.

    In other news, Clara is GORGEOUS! I love that she's filled out so much & she has the cutest chubby cheeks now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, my baby catcher told me to stop the pio shots too, even telling me what was wrong with them and that I could miscarry ON them! I spoke with Dr. H's nurse about my concerns and she was very good about informing me of their effectiveness and then telling me it was my decision. We decided to stay on them and my baby catcher hasn't even asked about them since. He also doesn't even test prog.esterone levels! They're nuts. I say ask your baby catcher if it's ok that Dr. S monitors your prog.esterone level and leave it at that. She can't care too much if she's not testing! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. your vitamin D can be checked as well once you start supplementing to see what your lever is. You want it above a certain level but you also don't want it too high. I'm guessing if Dr s put you on that amount he figured you needed that amount.

    Love baby Clara pics, she is seriously beautiful. I love love love the middle one, great face.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great catch up post! Oh, a heart beat - I must imagine that hearing it is one of the most beautiful sounds in the world. I have my first ob appt tomorrow, but up until now have had the same issue with progesterone supplements - they will prescribe them but not check the levels. Seems backwards. Last but not at all least, Clara's swimsuit is SO cute! A little strawberry with pudgy little legs. Love it!!!k

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are they testing your Vitamin D levels? Earlier this year, I finally located a NaPro doctor within driving distance (meaning - 3 hours away) and he immediately started testing and supplementing for Vitamin D. And boy is he BIG on this - he's got me on 6,000 IU/day now, and I just got tested again. I'm in the normal range now, but it's not as high as he likes, so I suspect he'll bump up the dose to 7,500/day when I see him on Friday. (Actually, he had me start for 2 weeks on 10,000/day, and I actually felt pretty good during those weeks, lol.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love Clara's watermelon suit! And she is actually looking long and slender these days! At least in that pic!!! She is so pretty!

    Thanks for the updates!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your SILs are hilarious. I can just "see" that whole story...how cute! :)

    And I just love little Miss Watermelon! Come over anytime...we bought a little baby pool!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh, I LOVE that swimsuit!!! Clara is soooooo cute!!!! Is it a strawberry or a watermelon suit? I want one of those for my Claire, where did you get it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Red, thanks for asking - I thought it was a strawberry, but others say watermelon. So, K, what is it? I guess it's adorable either way because it's on Clara!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's a watermelon! The website is: www.crazy8.com, but it's not under swimsuits for some reason. I searched at the top of the page for 'watermelon' and found it. The whole collection of watermelon stuff is adorable.. she has the shoes too! (thanks to her grandma!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's really frustrating that all doctors aren't on the same page regarding progesterone. If your local ob/gyn isn't testing it and you are being monitored by Dr. S, then I won't worry about telling the local doctor if you do have to continue the shots.

    How sweet of your SIL and I'm sure we all want to see some pictures of you wearing your brand new clothes.

    Clara is adorable as always.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's so frustrating about the progesterone, I wonder how many women have had multiple m/c that could have been avoided if their doctor's understood how much good progesterone can do? So sad to think about.

    Hearing the hb for the first time is such a special moment, especially if you've deal with infertility or miscarriage. I can't wait till you start to feel baby move, it's so amazing!

    Clara just gets cuter and cuter! I can't believe she's 6 months already!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I teared up at the story of bra shopping! I can totally picture my MIL saying something similar about me: "This is her fourth pregnancy. She has 2 babies in Heaven."

    I lost 2 babies in my second trimester of pregnancy and was then sent to the Colorado Center for Reproductive Medicine. When my third pregnancy began, my Dr. wanted me to also take the progesterone shots, but I could not afford them on my current insurance. Fortunately, he saw oral Prometrium (progesterone)pills as a viable solution. I took them during the first 5 months of my third pregnancy and plan to do the same with this one. Thank goodness for Dr.'s who care!

    Clara is gorgeous! Very cute swim suit!
    ~Heather

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, and by the way, my third pregnancy was a success! Quintin is my little miracle baby!

    ReplyDelete
  17. if it makes you feel better, I wore maternity clothes the day after I took this test. Might as well be comfortable ;)

    I love the watermelon suit too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for updating!!!

    Clara is such a cutie in her watermelon suit!

    I also want to see photos of the bump!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Enjoy the updates. Clara is getting so big! What a doll!

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOL! Love the story of the bra department! I'm with your SIL and the salesgirl- I'm a sucker for a sweet story like that! And you are NOT just some pregnang girl!!!

    Keep us updated on your friend. Prayers!!!

    Clara! HOW is she six months already! WOW!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anytime you need a maternity clothes shopping buddy in town--you know who to call!!! :) We can make shopping our thing, though I do hope to catch you and GIMH one of these days at play group! We'll have to try to coordinate soon (I know I keep saying that, but I mean it!)

    ReplyDelete