Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Goodbye technology

I have something I want to get to, but first I just want to give you a quick update on my progesterone. I found out this morning that it rose, but only by one point (it's now - or was at 15 weeks when I was tested - 30.2). The nurse seemed to think that was good news, but I couldn't help but be thoroughly disappointed. And worse, scared. I'm continuing on the two shots a week protocol for now and will test again in two weeks.

I need to remember that a lot of women have low levels throughout and their babies are fine. I'm trying to focus on that.

In other news, it's been pretty stressful over here. And honestly, it's the first time I've been stressed since before getting Clara. It's really been a wonderful five-and-a-half months, not entirely stress free, but when things came up, I handled them. But now it seems like it's a combination of more problems arising and a greater inability to "handle" them on my part.

So that leads me to a major change that is happening tomorrow. We are getting rid of cable and internet.

Let me just say that my husband and I are majorly into watching television. We don't take this lightly and we are not embarrassed about it. And, honestly, who doesn't have the internet these days?

I have to say I was on board with the idea until the actual cancellation was made this morning (they actually go away tomorrow), which was when I suddenly found myself in tears, realizing it was really going to happen. I know that might sound dramatic to some of you, but it's just so easy to grow accustomed to both things, especially the internet. I'm worried about what may come up that I'll need it for. I'm worried I don't yet realize how hard it's going to be... as a stay-at-home mom... home all day.

And taking a laptop to a place with free wi-fi isn't an option because we don't own a laptop.

The good news is we'll still be able to get a few channels using an antenna. And I'll still have most of the internet on my phone (we're under contract, so getting rid of that wouldn't have been as easy), so I'll still be able to read blogs and check email and facebook (I know, I'll really be roughing it). But I just don't foresee me posting on a regular basis because I find it so very difficult to type on the little screen. But it's nice to know that if I have to post, I can.

I am trying to embrace this change. I'm hoping it will give me more time to focus on other, more important things (although it's not like I just hang out and watch t.v. all day as it is, and clearly I'm not posting every day!). And I do sort of feel like I am a slave to the technology sometimes; I actually get stressed when the shows start to build up on our DVR. I won't have to worry about that anymore. Although I am pretty upset about not being able to watch part three of the Real Housewives of New York reunion. I'm trying not to think about it.

So we'll see how this goes. It might take some getting used to, but I know we're doing the right thing (it's for financial reasons, in case you're wondering). And, let's be honest, it's not the end of the world. And it's not like we're going off the grid or anything! (Actually, do you think the government will flag us for this? As like ultra-conservative militia or something? Hahaha...)

We'll be fine.. And it might even be like an experiment to see how our great-grandparents used to live...minus the iPhone!!

31 comments:

  1. That sounds like such a relief and I'm jealous. Really, I am jealous! It will never happen in my household. I bet we would cut back on food and gas before we got rid of cable and internet. Now that is sad to admit. :)

    I have even though of sending the computer cable to work with my DH so I could get a break from it.

    The reunion of the HW is ridiculos. I will let you know if anything happens...I was thinking about that today....I love the show but I could live without it.

    I can't wait to hear how you adjust! It's gonna be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think 30 is great because that is what u are on your own without supplementation. So just think with supplementation it's higher....I'm going to get my prog checked right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We tried to knock out cable and we lasted about a year...but I don't think we deserved a pat on the back since we live a block away from my parents and made frequent trips to use their internet! My husband is a "right now" kind of guy though, so we got it back and would never be able to part from TV because of his golf obsession...for financial reasons we tried to cut back on our package only to realize the golf channel wasn't part of the cheaper package so that was a no-go! (That's kind of embarrassing to admit!) We cut back in other places as a result. Good luck to you! Being busy with a baby and another coming soon will no doubt fill your days! Maybe my DH and I will try again when we have little ones running around (because really, it isn't the best use of our hard earned moolah)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand the cable- but the INTERNET???? HOW WILL YOU SURVIVE???

    Which is probably an indicator that I should cancel mine. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband talks about getting rid of our cable about every 6 months or so, but he won't give up internet. We can watch most of shows through the internet, so if we had given up cable it would be okay, but Charlie looked around and found a better deal for satellite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. we never had cable and are doing just fine. And it makes me work out more (our local YMCA does have cable and every piece of workout equipment has it's own personal TV :) I can't say that about Internet, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just wanted to add that believe it or not, when we looked into just getting internet, it was higher than cable and internet combined (at least it was higher than the cable/internet "deal" they were going to give us to keep us from cancelling)! What a joke! We are still going to search for a dirt cheap (and super slow) dial up, but those require home phones which we don't have. We'll see!

    And Sew.. I do think it will be a bit of a relief. And that's coming from tv's #1 fan! It just gets addictive, and addictions aren't fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You will be great! Your family will be closer and you WILL have less stress, financially and technologically (!). We've been cutting back and cutting back, and are just now discerning cutting cable altogether (we just have a basic package right now with DVR) and signing up for Net.flix instead. It's super cheap and we could watch movies we like whenever we want. Those tv shows are TERRIBLE for our good catholic families. You will be much better for it! God bless you as you grow closer to God and one another :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never thought I'd ever see these words coming from the AYWH family!!! Especially since the biggest local tv star resides in your home, ha! But I totally understand. We just got a letter saying our Verizon bill is increasing $20...what? I was actually going to call over there and see what they can do for us to lower it cause that is ridiculous. You'll be fine. When we gave up TV for Lent, I honestly loved it and wished we would get rid of it. Internet I couldn't do without, but you have your i-phone. You are welcome over here anytime to catch up on Real Housewives or anything else. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You will do fine and, I suspect, will be far more productive.

    My husband never had cable until the 2nd year of our marriage. His Dad didn’t want his kids being “couch potatoes” and not having cable was a big encouragement to be outside. We do have it, but complain because we only watch 2 or 3 stations – sports, mainly, for DH (I wish they’d let you do al carte ordering of cable – huge pet peeve of mine.) DH was gone for a few days and I swear I didn’t turn on the TV until about an hour before bed and, even then, it was DVDs. Of course, I don’t get into the DH and all that stuff 

    The Internet would be harder for me, but I managed for a month when we were moving and would just go to the library when I really needed Internet access (oh, and check out the DVD section of your library). I believe that’s the same time when I painted every room in my house . . . so see, more productive.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great-grandparents? Really? Haha, we didn't have cable until I was in high school, and I didn't have internet until I was in the Army...and we did just fine :).
    I would have a hard time with the no internet nowadays - I love it to look things up, get in touch with people, see pictures of my family, etc. But no cable - I could get on board with that pretty easily :). Plus, you can watch everything you need online nowadays anyway.
    Good luck unplugging!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We cancelled our cable last August to save some money....it's still on. We thought there might have been a mistake so we called and made sure we weren't cheating them. It turns out-they just haven't gotten to us and they don't us to be patient! Ha! Maybe you'll get lucky like that too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know what, I'll bet you'll end up loving it. I went for several years without TV and I kind of miss that. I would go back to it, but we have to have the internet for my husband's job, and like you, its cheaper when everything is bundled together. We even have a landline because it's cheaper that way!

    Anyways, I do hope that we'll still be able to keep in touch! We need to see Clara and pregnancy pics. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I grew up without tv, Karey, which was rare even back in the 70s and 80s. When Antonia was born, I thought seriously @ the technology issue, but, having married a cable guy, I thought I could control it. I remember one day nursing 3-month-old Antonia in bed and clicking on the tv. She stopped nursing and turned her head towards the tv. My heart froze. I canceled cable that week and we've never missed it. It's was my moment of truth. Maybe others can really control it, but it was either-or for me. A lot of families have given it up. Our kids do watch some old DVDs--they love musicals--and it's a riot to hear Dominic casually mention "the actress Rosilind Russell" in the same tone a lot of kids might use about Miley Cyrus. I am struggling with the internet. Gussie told someone from the OD that her favorite day is "a sunny day with no computer." I had to explain, red-faced, that Mama works on her computer too much and the kids hate that. They really do. Kids know when you're not really paying attention. I am cutting back, but praying about "cold turkey." You have my support *and* sympathy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. no tv I can handle but no internet makes me feel like limbs might be getting cut off! :) I am connected to so many of you through internet! I think you will be closer for the lack of tv and of course you'll make it! Gotta love i phones!

    ReplyDelete
  16. WAIT! before you leave the blog world you need to post baby bump pics!

    ReplyDelete
  17. aww, i'll be sad to see you leave the blog world. i only found your blog a few months ago!
    also, we don't have cable either and the antenna actually gives us about 20 channels, so, its all good as long as cars don't drive by and disrupt the signal :) The only thing I'd want cable for is for ESPN for my husband.

    The internet thing will be hard, but with your iPhone you'll be able to look up directions and check blogs enough to satisfy, so I think it will be harder on us missing you!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I also think 30 is great for the prog.

    Cannot BELIEVE the no cable/internet thing. How will we get all the updates, now??!

    ReplyDelete
  19. good for you about the cable! We never had it until this year with the Olympics, and now I am so excited to get rid of it when we move.
    Seriously, you can totally become a slave to it.

    The internet too-- can draw you in to no end (at least for me). But I just keep my computer off till the afternoon and then do everything I need online (I make a running list through the day of things I "need" to look up).

    I am all about not creating needs for yourself-- so good job--- but don't leave us and please do post preg pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, I am jealous of you, too! I wish we could do that. We do give up TV for Lent (because I insist), but it's a struggle and everyone hates me. :)

    I am an internet addict, and somehow I must address that.

    But you must keep us posted whenever you can! We can't just be cut off from your updates and photos, because we are all addicts, remember?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think 30 is a great number, my last draw was 21 on 6.8 (one week ago) and thursday I will be at 13 weeks accoring to u/s reports. Sew is right and that is what I keep telling myself, that is with no recent prog. supplementation.

    I don't know how we manage this, but we just decided to cut costs and cancel our land line phone. Since we live near the end of the world (hahaha) it costs us $60 for basic phone service and we were paying $30 for dsl service. I just cancelled the phone service as I was reading the blogs. We still have satelite service and we had to keep our internet service for 10 months bc we are under contract :(, but that was going to be going too! I guess, next year it will be gone. I guess what we need to celebrate is that we are going from a $130 bill to a $65 phone bill that includes the satelite service and the internet. I hope we can afford that! I wish you the best of luck! I would love to stay in contact with you, so feel free to text me or call, just message me on fb and I will give you my cell number. I want to keep up with all the great things that are happening in your life!!
    Just wondering, did you start to get REALLY CRANKY at a certain point in your pg? I have been super cranky for the past 3 days!! Bossy, too, but I think that is just the hormones and the crazy job situation! Thanks for your prayers and support in that! I really appreciate them!!
    Best of luck without the tech services! I think in the end you will find that you are thankful for the change!! At least I hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  22. We gave up cable and land line 5 years ago and never looked back. Not that it stopped me from watching TV but a lot less of it. You will appreciate your extra time and with a new baby on the way you will be too busy for cable.

    ReplyDelete
  23. We haven't had cable in over two years, but I couldn't give up the internet since my parents are overseas and we talk to them on Skype. I hope you can still keep in touch and post pictures of Clara and your pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's something that I can imagine will be very hard to do, but very rewarding as well. I would be a huge baby about it and I think your reaction is much milder than most and certainly understandable! I am a slave to technology too, which just goes to show you how much I should probably do without. And I can only imagine how much better dh and my communication would be without the tv at night. They say you sleep better too! On the progesterone note, I am over 19 weeks and mine is STILL in the low 30s. I am on the half dose, but still shots twice a week. Our baby is doing wonderfully, but I would like to see it higher, so I can emphathize.

    ReplyDelete
  25. No cable isn't that bad, no internet is really hard. Hopefully you will be able to be back online soon! Please do update the blog and post pictures when you get the chance! I'll be praying for you during the pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
  26. The first 2 years of our marriage we had no television (hence no cable) and shared a car between the two of us.

    You know what? It was awesome. It made us think of creative ways to get around (P rode his bicycle to and from work and got great exercise!) and I did NOT miss the television at all.

    When we eventually got tv, I was GLUED to it as if I'd never watched it before ha ha!

    I think its a great way to save some money ... by the way we have the same problem here. The cable/tv package is EXORBITANT and you can't really break the two up.

    ReplyDelete
  27. How refreshing! I hope you can find joy in the little things of everyday life without the buzz of technology!

    ReplyDelete
  28. You're one tough cookie!! I don't know if I could live without internet -- no cable would be tough, but I would deal.

    Thank God for the i.Phone!

    ReplyDelete
  29. We let go of cable for financial reasons last year and never reconnected. It was a miracle we ever did because we LOVE tv, but it has been so great for our family life. We still watch tons of movies and kids shows on dvd, and we depend on internet for so many things. I hope your time away is a blessing for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Definitely interested to hear how this goes for you. I am intrigued...and maybe like Sew a bit jealous. We nixed our satellite two months ago and have been addicted to hulu since then. We also subscribed to Netflix. I feel like we watch more tv (via the internet) since giving up tv. So, it helps...but the internet is a huge crutch for viewing purposes. I would love to be able to change our internet to "information only" purposes...except for maybe Sunday (do whatever day). Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Most libraries have free computer and internet usage... for awhile that's what i used. It helped me keep my online time to a minimum but allowed me to still feel connected with the outside world. sounds like a brave, bold move... I've considered giving up mine - I live in a remote area so my cost is closer to $150 a month - but because I live in a remote area, I need that human interaction. good luck!

    ReplyDelete