Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The most beautiful sound

There's really a baby in there!

We heard the heart beat, praise God! And as my husband said right after, that never gets old.

At first I thought the incredibly fast beating was my own, since I was so nervous and mine was beating pretty quickly itself. But I caught a glimpse of Ryan smiling so I asked the nurse. I think they both thought I was nuts for confusing the two!

It's truly such an overwhelming feeling when you hear it, just so surreal. I usually feel like I'm having an out-of-body experience while it's happening and later wish I had taken in the moment more. Although part of me thinks that's not possible. It will always be overwhelming in the most wonderful way possible.

My doctor also assured me that I'm a perfectly healthy pregnant woman (Ryan told her I worry) and that everything's going beautifully. She also told me that those bubbles and pops I'm feeling are definitely the baby. "You're feeling your baby move!" she told me, without any doubt that's what it was.

My next appointment is on July 19, and that's when we'll find out the gender. I know some people find out earlier, and our baby's gender could have been seen on ultrasound for several weeks now, but my doctor only does ultrasounds at 12 weeks (or at least that's when mine was) and 20 weeks. So that's when we'll find out (as long as the baby's legs aren't crossed!) and I can't wait!

My appointments have all been on Tuesdays so far, the same day as our weekly adoration hour, so it's nice to be able to go afterwards and offer prayers of thanksgiving for the good news and for both of our miracle babies.

While there today, I came across Psalm 31, which is where my blog name comes from. I hadn't read the whole psalm in a long time, and wow, is it perfect:

Blessed be the LORD, who has shown me wondrous love, and been for me a city most secure.
Once I said in my anguish, "I am shut out from your sight." Yet you heard my plea, when I cried out to you.
Love the LORD, all you faithful. The LORD protects the loyal, but repays the arrogant in full.
Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the LORD.


I love it! I told the Lord that very thing before I became a mother - that I was shut out from His sight. That's exactly how I felt. But He had heard my plea all along. He hears all of us - no matter what His plan is for us and how our families grow - and protects us. And I know He's protecting Baby #2 right now.

So thanks for all your prayers and for your comments that made me realize I'm not nuts (or maybe we all are!). While the nervousness could set in again, I am so joyful right now knowing there is a living, kicking baby in there! Praise the Lord!

21 comments:

  1. World's best sound! :) Praise God for knowing that baby is doing just wonderfully inside mom. I know well the feeling of apprehension before every appointment, so having everything go right is such a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh! GREAT news! I would love to see a video of you guys hearing the heart beat and seeing the u/s, if that is possible!!

    What is your guess on the gender?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome! The Psalm is so fitting too!

    Glad you had a great visit today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! I know exactly how you feel. My next appointment is still two weeks away and I get crazier every day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome news! You've been through so much over the years, I am so happy that everything is coming together so perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! I had no doubt you'd only receive good news, but I understand your worry. :) Also, can't wait to find out if the "ring and string" test worked, haha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you had such a great appointment today! That psalm is perfect and just what I needed to hear. I'm pretty sure it might always be exactly what I need to hear... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful post, it almost made me cry. I;m so happy for you. You'll never forget any of this!! Can;t wait for more updates and pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, this is so beautiful... the Psalm, wow!! Sweet baby, grow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay! I'm so glad you heard that heartbeat again. My husband brought our video camera and kept the lens cap on but recorded the sound so that when I'd freak out I could listen again! Just a suggestion. Also, our appointments are always on tuesdays too - along with our adoration! How wild is that?! Keeping you in prayer and praising God for your recent miracles!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful! Love the Psalm too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Where are you while typing these posts?? Just wondering.

    I can imagine that hearing your own baby's hb never gets old, because it never gets old for me to hear it at work every day :) I just love it.

    The Psalm that inspired your blog title gives me chills as to how accurate it has shown itself to be in your life. But shouldn't it say "All Ye Who Have Hope" at the end?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm new but have been reading your blog for some time now. That's wonderful news! Glad things are continuing to go well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad to hear that your anxiety was for nothing and the little one is doing well. Can't wait for find out whether you have a little boy or girl in there!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm always anxious before each appointment.

    I'm so glad you heard that beautiful heartbeat and all was well!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What wonderful news!!!! God is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How great! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This makes me so happy!!! I am so glad your heart is full of thanksgiving right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh wow! WONDERFUL news!!!

    I cannot imagine how it must feel!! Yes the best sound ever!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hallelujah! Praise God! I can't wait for my appointment on July 9th, where I should get to hear my 4th baby's heartbeat for the first time!

    ReplyDelete