Thursday, March 12, 2009

Infertility and eternity

I remember many conversations with my husband throughout the early years of our infertility struggle that would always go the same way. I would be crying asking 'why' and he would eventually land on the one response he'd always land on - "You will be rewarded in Heaven."

Oh, no, he didn't.

In the midst of losing it ('Eternity?? You're trying to comfort me with eternity??'), I would always say something like, 'I don't want to wait until then! I want it now!'

Thankfully, I can look back on those days and admit that the 'it" I was actually referring to probably, honestly, wasn't children. It was more likely comfort, relief, happiness.

It's amazing how far God has brought me. On one hand it is a reminder of how long this journey has been, but on the other, it is a weight off of my shoulders to know that I have grown and I'm not the same person who was stuck in a spiritual rut. I wasn't able to have hope back then.

Just this morning I was at breakfast with a friend and we were reflecting on how we are better off due to infertility (surprising, I know; a conversation I wouldn't have had even a year ago). We remarked that we both now see the value in suffering and that we wouldn't have the faith we have today if not for this struggle. It's true. I really believe God strips us of our comforts in order for us to rely completely on him. On an earthly level this might seem harsh, but if we look at it from Heaven's perspective, it isn't harsh at all. Actually, it's a blessing.

I think that was my problem for so long - my world view was completely flipped upside down. Here on earth, we are conditioned to want comfort. We want to be comfortable while we're here and we want things (whether it be a loving husband, a nice house or children) that bring us comfort in this life. Not all of those things are bad - obviously wanting love and babies are not material items - but I still wanted them to make my life here better. The problem with that is that I wasn't thinking in terms of God's point of view. What God wants for us is much simpler - for us to love others as ourselves and, ultimately, for us to join him in eternity. There are many ways God may have in mind for us to get to that end result, and when I began to look at life from that perspective, everything shifted.

Suddenly it made more sense to me why God would give me this time of great suffering - it is directly related to my sanctification. And that, and not my earthly comfort and happiness, is what he is concerned with. If the goal is our sanctification, it makes so much sense why things we would consider blessings (children, spouses, health) aren't just handed out to everyone. Yes, God wants us to be happy because we are his children and he loves us, but I'm not sure our happiness in this life is tops on his list (and obviously our definition of happiness probably doesn't always mesh with his). I'm sure there are many people who were happy in this life who did not end up in Heaven.

He wants us to have joy, and true joy is found in times of wealth and also in times of despair. It is not dependent on what is around us. I need only to look at the lives of the saints to know this is true.

A month or two ago, Ryan and I were talking about how so many people are blessed with fertility and how it is easy for people in our situation to think that God has forgotten us. But he asked me to look at infertility in a different light, to turn it upside-down. He said what if we are the blessed ones? What if, from Heaven's perspective, it is a blessing to be given suffering and a difficult journey that forces us to rely on God? What if in Heaven, souls rejoice when hardship is handed out and people on earth respond in a holy way? What if our suffering makes getting into Heaven just a little bit easier? What if we had less suffering but a more difficult time finding God in the midst of our comfortable lives?

That made me begin to truly look at this experience as a blessing. If it helped my path to Heaven, would I trade it? Of course not.

Four, three, even two years ago, this wouldn't have helped me. Actually, it would have made me angry! Thankfully, God has allowed me to see the value in this now and while it might not always be an immediate pick-me-up to remember eternity, I'm a lot more open to the concept, even on bad days. It just helps to think there is more out there, that our hopes and dreams and future won't end when we hit menopause without having conceived. It helps to remember that our focus in this life should be on Heaven and that possibly, God is providing us with an easier path to that end.

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful post and I agree with everything you have said. After the 2 3/4 years something in me changed spiritually as well. I started seeing my IF differently.

    I have always said and I only say it when I am a healthy IF if this struggle gets me to heaven, I will remain barren forever. What happens if that comes true. God will have to make me okay with it. I am so tired of fighting what I can't control. But lately I just feel like what else?? Seriously what else can be wrong with me.

    I can tell you that God through loosing my job brought me to such a better place then I have ever been in my life. He showed me that being a stay at home wife is wonderful even without babies.

    But with that I have a sense of loss when I experience other people's children. To hear their laughter and cries fill my barren home brings me to my knees with greif. But it is okay. This is what God has asked of me. For some reason he thinks I make a great barren chick! :) hahahaha That would be a cute apron line...Holy cow! I might make a barren chick apron and sell them! I am going to buy lables on etsy right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMEN! Absolutely beautiful post! I often struggle with "feeling" blessed but when I stop and think about it I know that I am extremely blessed. It sounds like your husband is just as devout as mine. I praise God for Mr. W's devout faith because if it were left up to me, I'd probably be running from God again.

    And Sew - I'd totally buy a barren chick apron!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off, I too need a Barren Chick apron. HA!

    AYWH: Awesome post!!!!

    It is so true that we have so much to hope for that is not even in this world ... and can only be found in the next.

    When our desire for children is overwhelming, this is where we need to come back to.

    In fact, this place (your post) is where we need to live!!!

    Thinking on heaven, and the eternal happiness, joy, and fulfillment that being with our Father will bring. In fact, it will bring far more joy and happiness than having even 15 children combined could ever bring on this earth. There is so much joy in heaven that we can't begin to comprehend it.


    "No eye has seen, no ear has heard, what God has prepared for those who love Him."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, this is a good one! :) Thank you for such an encouraging post. Although it's much easier said than done, I know everything you posted is true. God's ways are not our ways. I guess it's up to us to try and discover God's ways!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciate the wisdom of your words...some shadow of these thoughts has begun to wander across my mind as well. But here's what I can't get around. As long as you're ttc, you can offer up the difficulty of getting there as a cross. But you don't ttc SO you can suffer. So eventually you stop because you've tried everything (though you may still be open to life). Then what do you do with yourself? The vocation is to marriage and family...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to tell you that this post really spoke to my heart and the wonderings of my mind.
    I have been to this place of peace before and I let myself lose this peace. At one point, I had surrendered my infertility to God and fully embraced adoption as a means to build my family and make my dreams come true and to live out my desire for my vocation to include motherhood.
    This may sound completely strange, but once we found out from Dr. Hilgers that we might stand a chance at being able to concieve (if God so willed it to happen) my anxiety returned with a vengence. I now wonder why my charts look so different from others and why I am not pregnant yet even though I am doing everything in my power to be open fully to life. It has been a really tough couple of months since my surgery nearly 6 months ago. I think that before I believed that I was hopeful that a miracle could happen although it was unlikely, but now I am hopeful in a whole new way and with that brings some lows when it doesn't happen and you think it should.
    I brought the truth of your post today and the revelation of what I learned in mass today to my adoration hour a while ago and was completely amazed at how God is moving in my life and I am not even always aware of it. I hope to post some of these truths I learned today in adoration later.
    Thank you for sharing your journey with us. It really is ministering to me and encouraging me to explore new ways of thinkging and relating to God! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH K, what a beautiful reflections! I could have written the same post myself! About my "waiting" and some serious struggles I went through in college. I felt stripped away of everything, and only had Him to go to. At first I just ran away (it's still a temptation at times... that dumb devil) and then cautiously rested in God's embrace. Those moments were (and are) so sweet... so not of this world.
    Anyway, I just began typing a "wicked" (there's my New England influence coming out) big comment and so I'm posting the rest of it on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful reflections. I am much earlier in my TTC, but this is my hope as I wade through these sufferings. You said it beautifully!

    makingmemom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are right on. I really do beleive that our suffering is redemptive and we will be rewarded. I would love to see the saints and angels dancing for us as we become holy people.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful post. Your husband's insight regarding infertility as the blessing is very profound. What a beautiful way to look at it. I couldn't agree more, but K, you are so right that it takes a while to truly believe and accept that concept.

    ReplyDelete