I have been packing all night. My kids found their presents laying around amid the clutter and chaos and so I just excitedly declared, "Merry Christmas!" They were overjoyed with their DVDs, kiddy headphones and sleeping bags. All things specifically selected for the road trip.
Yes, we're driving. That's probably not as shocking to you now as it will be when you find out where we are going (which I'll reveal when we get there. Still just want to keep things quiet for a few more days). If we flew, we'd have to pay for seats for both of the kids. And the children would outnumber us on our home. And not taking them wasn't an option for me, especially during Christmas. I want to go as a family, to bring home their new sister. Plus, I wasn't about to wean Luke cold turkey. Thanks for helping me build my supply back up by nursing three times a day lately! You're all done with that now! Forever!
Speaking of which, did I mention I'm going to try to nurse the new baby? I think my supply is fairly good, I've never had a problem with it, and hopefully it will increase with a newborn's demands. I haven't pumped yet to see what I have, though. I might try that tomorrow. But Luke never complains. I went to a La Leche League meeting yesterday but, honestly, my issue is so specific that it wasn't exactly a great group discussion topic. Basically, I'm going to try to nurse, but not get my hopes up too high. I've already had a formula-fed baby and if I have to supplement, it will be alright.
So leaving on Saturday means we'll spend Christmas at our destination. We're taking down our tree tonight (so weird!) and bringing a few wrapped presents that my parents already sent them. I think it will be exciting. I'm always up for an adventure, and this will definitely be an adventure! And I love hotel rooms. Love them. Although I'm not sure I will have the same affection when my kids are screaming at 3 in the morning. But I guess that's when I'll pull out the baby ipad thingies they'll be getting for Christmas tomorrow (thanks, Nana and Boppy!).
Alright, back to packing. We have no idea how long we'll be gone. ICPC, which has to be cleared before you can leave the state, can take three days or two weeks. You just never know.
The entire thing is exciting, overwhelming, nerve-wracking, thrilling, and scary, all wrapped into one. My emotions are all over the place, to say the least.
Would you please, if you get a chance, say a prayer for the birthmother, the baby girl, for our safe travels, and the whole adoption situation? And for my nerves, if you don't mind. I really, really appreciate it!
![]() |
Oh, and because it's kind of a family tradition, I'll be blogging during our trip. So check back starting this weekend!

Wow, every adoption is exciting but somehow you guys seem to end up with the most thrilling stories. :) Praying all goes well!
ReplyDeleteif you pass Indianapolis, please visit!!!!
ReplyDeletecan't wait to see pics of little sister!
Merry Christmas! Safe travels ... I also love hotel rooms - there is something about them, perhaps thinking that I am not responsible for the room - and pulling out electronics is one hundred percent acceptable at three in the a.m. to keep the kids quiet while you get more shut eye...
ReplyDeletePrayers and more prayers - I am sooo excited for you all!
Merry Christmas! That is so awesome about how the kids found the presents...and I love, love, love road trips, so I totally get that you would want to do it this way. Great family time! I will be praying for all of your intentions.
ReplyDeletePraying so hard!!! I am so excited, anxious, nervous, ecstatic...for you. I can't imagine how you must be feeling! Thinking of you and your growing family!
ReplyDeleteHow exciting! I'm so glad I checked on my fav blogs tonight!
ReplyDeleteYou are such a champ for taking on nursing! I pray it's sucessful for you and the little one. Your children were blessed with such an amazing Mother and Father! Praying for safe travels and smooth transitions:) Merry Christmas!
I am so excited for you!!! The anticipation is building and I can't wait to see/hear how this all turns out!!!! I'll def keep y'all in my prayers! So very excited! :) Merry (early) Christmas! :)
ReplyDeleteSo excited for you, and praying!!! I love this line:
ReplyDelete"My kids found their presents laying around amid the clutter and chaos and so I just excitedly declared, "Merry Christmas!""
I like your style! Flexible is good.
Did I mention they were UNwrapped?? Thankfully toddlers don't care about that sort of thing. And we don't play up Santa, or that would sure complicate things this year!!
DeleteYes-I loved this part of the post! I thought, "I have so much to learn from her!"
DeletePlease explain to my family for me while I'll be neglecting them all week and checking your blog instead. Prayers!
This is so exciting!!!!!! Can't wait to read more!!!
ReplyDeletePraying!
ReplyDeleteWowwwwww! That's awesome. Love that you gave the presents early. I'm totally un-ceremonial like that. :)
ReplyDeleteThat's awesome about trying to nurse the new one. Drink boat loads of water!!
So exciting!
If you are going to be near Cincinnati, we are close and have a very child friendly house to destroy. http://dahlkebaby.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteMerry Christmas and I hope your trip goes well!
ReplyDeleteThank you all! We will actually be going through Louisiana and Texas, among many other states. Our destination is somewhere that we can also take a slightly more northern route, but with the storm, the southern way is the way to go.
ReplyDeleteAhhhh! So exciting! I can't wait to follow along! Sending many prayers your way!!
ReplyDeleteMany prayers to you and you family! How exciting! Merry Christmas!
ReplyDeleteso so so happy for you guys!!! Can you bring that baby to PA like you did Clara?!??!?! Praying for safe trip and that everything goes as planned.
ReplyDeleteI love reading your blog! I've been following your story and your childrens since before Clara :-) I am a birth mother that is healed by your stories!
ReplyDeleteSo fun and exciting! It sounds like you have a great attitude about it all. Praying everything goes smoothly including the travel both ways! I'm super curious where you're headed since there are just a few of us bloggers out "West." Anxious to keep reading more as your journey unfolds. What a great story you'll have to tell your precious little girl.
ReplyDeleteWhat an amazing Christmas this will be! Prayers for you and looking forward to following along on yet another of your journeys!
ReplyDeleteLet me know if you're coming through Austin! And more importantly, prayers for a smooth trip and for the birthmother!
ReplyDeleteSO excited!!!!!! I will be waiting with baited breath! Good thing you will be blogging during the trip because if I had to wait for an update I would go nuts!!!!
ReplyDeleteThinking of you this weekend!!!!! How EXCITING!!! Safe travels!
ReplyDelete